RS confirms Ships name, Space Jockey, and Chariots of the Gods/Harvest-like tale

Started by CainsSon, Jun 29, 2011, 04:45:34 AM

Author
RS confirms Ships name, Space Jockey, and Chariots of the Gods/Harvest-like tale (Read 23,791 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Phew! This HAS been a day!

"The (space) journey, metaphorically, is about a challenge to the gods," Scott said. But Scott's ambitions with Prometheus go far beyond simply restarting a hit franchise. The British director said the film's storyline, and script by David Lindelof, was partially inspired by the writings of legendary Swiss sci-fi writer Eric van Daniken.
Van Daniken, author of 1968 bestseller Chariot of the Gods, is best known as the first proponent of the so-called ancient astronaut theory, which holds that aliens kick-started civilization on earth. "NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way," Scott said. "That's what we're looking at (in the film), at some of Eric van Daniken's ideas of how did we humans come about."

Space Jockey's kick-starting civilization on Earth is a plot device from the Harvest script, or at least very similar too it, provided they don't just retread other Ancient Astronaut stories. In Harvest, it is insinuated that the planet being 'harvested' by the Space Jockey's may in fact be Earth, but it would have to be removed from the Derelict's plot, unless that crash is still present. Its very curious and this may be how Spaihts' ideas remained a prominent idea in the later drafts.

Also Riddles confirms the ship is named 'PROMETHEUS' which also is similar to SHADOW 19, but then again, nothing else is indicative of SHADOW 19, thus far. He also states that the use of the word, as a reference to myth is quite deliberate.

"Scott also confirmed, as we've previously only speculated, that Prometheus is the name of the ship in the movie and that the ship is sent out into space by a large company much like the "company" (Weyland Yutani) we know from the Alien franchise."

SOURCE:

alienprequelnews.com

and etc.

I remember reading CHARIOTS OF THE GODS when I was younger and there is still a lot of speculation now, regarding this type of stuff.
What I dont like is that this is very much also the plot of STARGATE and hope we don't have to deal with anything similar to that.

Interestingly enough, I found this on WIKIPEDIA:
"A 2004 article in Skeptic magazine[1] states that von Däniken plagiarized many of the book's concepts from The Morning of the Magicians, that this book in turn was heavily influenced by the Cthulhu Mythos, and that the core of the ancient astronaut theory originates in H. P. Lovecraft's short stories "The Call of Cthulhu" and "At the Mountains of Madness"."

This is a good point, that I would not have noticed when I read CHARIOTS, because I hadn't yet read much, if any, of Lovecraft's CTHULU MYTHOS. At least, not until later.
Many of us have noted and admired the way influence of the CTHULU MYTHOS on ALIEN. So I think we should all love that we are seeing more of that here.

I was actually wondering if AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, didnt get cancelled, in part, due to similarities with PROMETHEUS.

I'm smiling.

Bring on the dancing horses!

Pn2501

its a little more than a coincidence as shadow 19 was also written by Spahits.

I Hope they are taking more elements out of that script if its true, i liked it.

CainsSon

Those are both brilliant scripts. SHADOW 19, more so, I think. But then again I doubt Harvest was anything more than an early draft, and if so, also incomplete.

Isnt there another Spaihts adaptation coming out soon? DARKEST HOUR, maybe?

Pn2501

darkest hour? isn't Timur Bekmambetov directing that one.

CainsSon

Quote from: Pn2501 on Jun 29, 2011, 05:01:59 AM
darkest hour? isn't Timur Bekmambetov directing that one.

Some other guy. I wish it was. That guy's stuff is awesome.

Deuterium

Deuterium

F#@K Van Daniken, he was a charlatan, a kook, a fraud, and a hack...and he stole all his so-called "theories" from the literary work of H.P. Lovecraft.  And if this is the "hard" Science that Ridley was allegedly going for...then I have to laugh.  And not in a good way, because I was really looking forward to this film.  But this article gives me all sorts of pause.

I just can't imagine any intelligent, scientifically-literate person getting any inspiration whatsoever from the likes of an Eric Van Daniken.

CainsSon

Quote from: deuterium on Jun 29, 2011, 05:30:25 AM
F#@K Van Daniken, he was a charlatan, a kook, a fraud, and a hack...and he stole all his so-called "theories" from the literary work of H.P. Lovecraft.  And if this is the "hard" Science that Ridley was allegedly going for...then I have to laugh.  And not in a good way, because I was really looking forward to this film.  But this article gives me all sorts of pause.

My biggest gripe with this, POTENTIALLY ANYWAY, is that it's kinda been done to death. B/w Indiana Jones, and Stargate, it just goes on and on...I hope they dont f**k it up.

Anyway, ALIEN is pretty Lovecraftian, as is Giger's work so...It could be okay man. Im optimistic.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 29, 2011, 05:35:56 AM
My biggest gripe with this, POTENTIALLY ANYWAY, is that it's kinda been done to death. B/w Indiana Jones, and Stargate, it just goes on and on...I hope they dont f**k it up.

Anyway, ALIEN is pretty Lovecraftian, as is Giger's work so...It could be okay man. Im optimistic.

I hear ya', and I will keep my fingers crossed.  Without getting into any teleological arguments/discussions, I guess I really get frustrated with the whole "life didn't evolve on Earth" or the direct or indirect "Panspermia" theories...as these theories do NOT answer any of the questions of Life's origins, but simply shift them someplace else.  If one can't accept the theory that Life started here on our Pale Blue Dot (Earth), then I don't see how it "helps" or enriches any argument by hypothesisizng it began elsewhere and was either directly (intelligently) or indirectly seeded here.  It only begs the question...well, where did that non-terrestrial Life arise?  And then, you end up, potentially, in an infinite regression of agencies and causes.  I am not saying that panspermia couldn't happen, I am just saying that, unless proven otherwise, the simplest operating hypothesis should be that  terrestrial Life started right here on good 'ol Mother Earth.

P.S.-- the conceit that an advanced, intelligent race "kick-started" homo-sapiens into a techological civilization has also been done to death.  The most famous example being 2001:  A Space Odyssey.

Corporal Hicks

Neon_Knight

I really, really dislike the idea of exploring the Pilot species from Alien. I just can't stand that idea and every time anybody talks about this film and confirms that it's going to "explore the Pilot species" I lose slightly more faith in this film.  The whole point of surrealist art is that it's speculative and unexplained.  Explaining it takes away the surrealism of Alien, and that I think is a terrible thing.

Valaquen

Don't like it, don't see it.

Surrealist art? You know that the only reason things weren't explained in Alien was that they couldn't afford to film the sequences. Giger himself dismissed Alien as 'art'. It's a film ['It may pertain to art for some of its details, but on the whole it is essentially an entertainment film,' HR Giger, Cinefantastique, 1979].

The hints of aliens bringing about and influencing human life is reminiscent of 2001, a film that Scott has lauded for decades [and a film which, upon release, was slammed for being a half-baked shaggy God story - which you wouldn't get away with saying now].

"NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way"

Oh Christ NO!

Fujimaster

I think the main thing you're all forgetting is Ridley Scott is doing a Sci Fi movie.

Vulhala

Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 29, 2011, 01:17:49 PM
"NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way"

Oh Christ NO!

Has to be bullshit. Hell would freeze before the Vatican admitted what he's implying.

Valaquen

Quote from: Vulhala on Jun 29, 2011, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: 180924609 on Jun 29, 2011, 01:17:49 PM

Oh Christ NO!

Has to be bullshit. Hell would freeze before the Vatican admitted what he's implying.
I think NASA are thinking space germs via meteor, and the Vatican mean God. One way or another, it's a 'little help,' they can agree on that much  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed