With how the fans reacted to Predators, would a "back to the roots" alien film..

Started by yhe1, Jan 18, 2019, 01:10:18 AM

Author
With how the fans reacted to Predators, would a "back to the roots" alien film.. (Read 1,666 times)

SM

No, but not sure how you retell Alien or Aliens without it being a remake?

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jan 18, 2019, 10:41:55 AM

Give Parker some money this time.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 18, 2019, 03:20:39 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 18, 2019, 10:41:55 AM

Give Parker some money this time.

"Ash is a Goddamn--ooh, hey, my paycheck!"

The Old One

The Old One

"The Alien"

Soft-Reboot

The Kurgan

Remake, reboot, rip-off, i think the lines are fluid with a lot of possible intersections.

Krevinator

Krevinator

Generally speaking, I think a roots-film could work if it understands the roots well, and if it doesn't try to compete with the original film - it's aged well, and there's no particular need I can identify to remake it. Alien Isolation I'd think is a decent example of going back to the roots without competing with the original film, throwing a spin on the single-xeno concept with a similar but distinct environment.

I do think, however, that it's more likely that we'd get what would feel like a more blatant ripoff or retread of Alien - moreso than how people think that every film copies the original.

I personally think that it'd be important for the hypothetical film to consider what the roots really are, beyond just a solo alien, a small crew, and space truckers- I'd like to see more allusions to Giger and more depth to the Alien in particular. It's a beautiful design, but it's like everything after Aliens has kept filling in the depth it could have with animalistic simplicity.

I'd say that more, slower scenes akin to David attempting to connect with the neomorph were more interesting to me than the later scene of the proto-xeno pouncing and tearing people apart like a rabid dog - the original big chap never had to move that fast, always seemed to have perfectly stalked his prey, took them apart at his leisure!

The Alien didn't immediately shred Brett apart, and took it's sweet time with Lambert, yet much of what we get these days feels much more rapid and violent. For example, the proto-xeno in Covenant headbutting Tenesee's dropship repeatedly.

Would a back-to-the-roots film be okay? Would it treat the alien as an alien and not as an angry monster that wants to headbutt you?

Spoiler

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 18, 2019, 03:48:45 PM
"The Alien"

Soft-Reboot

Tonight on Cinemax.  ;D

"A crew of voluptuous space truckers encounter the perfect orgasm"

Starring:

Dom Skerritt as Captain Phallus

Corporal Hicks

I honestly feel like a soft reboot is the way to go.

Local Trouble

A soft reboot would have been the way to go after 1992.

Huggs

Would you have preferred something along the lines of Alien or Aliens?

Nightmare Asylum

For all intents and purposes, Prometheus and Covenant are a soft reboot.

The Old One

The Old One

Bad ones.

(Scripts people!)

TC

Er... What is a soft reboot?

Google tells me something about CTL-ALT-DEL as opposed to hitting the Reset button on the front of my 'puter.

TC

Huggs

Quote from: TC on Jan 20, 2019, 01:27:02 AM
Er... What is a soft reboot?

A shot for shot remake of the originals, except everyone speaks in hushed tones and make love to different people.

TC

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 20, 2019, 01:29:58 AM
... everyone speaks in hushed tones and make love to different people.

If I take a little blue pill beforehand does that make it a hard reboot instead?

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed