Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama!

Started by Anarchist86ed, Jan 28, 2018, 07:12:41 PM

Author
Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama! (Read 88,366 times)

Anarchist86ed

The colony ship arrives at Acheron, LV426, Zeta II Reticuli, orbiting Calpamos in approximately one week. Get your gear ready and don't complain about the potatoes. Welcome to Charon colony, property of the Weyland-Yutani corporation.

XenoHunter99

Hey, that should be really soon! Cheers to that!

Corporal Hicks

Looking forward to another entry!  ;D

Anarchist86ed

A slight delay due to ISP fraud.

Anarchist86ed

Charon, Part One.

LV-426 still has many secrets. Secrets Administrator Carter wants to get his hands on. Listen to "Mr. Deckard" to get to know administrator Carter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmwBxjIXfM

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fic12ycgfogy0n/CharonPartOne.mp3?dl=0

Now for all that fun behind the scenes stuff and Easter eggs.

Acheron is not a planet, it's a moon. But no one seems to get it right. No one wants to live on a moon, but those who should know it's not a planet should always refer to it as such anyway. This will be a long running joke.

AJ kept saying "Florina", so eventually we'll just say no one can get that right either, because some even call it Fiori 16.

Moon river sung by Louis Armstrong. It foreshadows Carter's fate of ending up on Acheron. Moon and river being appropriate because Acheron is a moon, and Acheron means river of pain. AJ suggested Carter be a fan of Armstrong.

Wakey wakey eggs and bakey from Kill Bill. Kylen says it to Carter as his cryo pod opens, much like it was done in the film.

AJ's audio for carter was not good at all, so I had to add reverb to make him sound like he was in a small room. He recorded with his friend, that's why his audio is different with her. He was moving at the time, so I didn't ask him to do it again. We're not making a penny doing this, so I don't ever want to pressure people for any do overs.

Kylen was originally going to be played by our Captain, Stephanie Carlson, but she's too busy wasting her life away getting a PHD to do it. She was going to make the character British. She was to be a hard drinking ass kicking bang anyone she wanted type. We literally could not get anyone else to take the roll, so AJ got a friend of his to do it. She is not a voice actor at all, so the character was changed to a damaged Brothel droid which will come up later as to why she sounds "off".

The Merc on the phone was the guy who shot Morse on Fiorina, regrets not knee capping Ripley because it cost him his pay.

Wey-Yu bought another space station from Seegson, who are now long defunct apparently.

Scripted but not recorded: Carter originally was having a conversation with his secretary after the state of the company report. He talked about Wey-Yu ending up like all the old fast food franchises, bought out by Taco Bell for pennies on the dollar. This of course was a nod to demolition man. Carter also discussed Disney's low bid to buy Wey-Yu and that Walmart was currently out bidding them. This was a subtle nod to Comcast fighting Disney for Fox. During the fly over of the Hadley's Hope, I scripted Kylen spotting a Colonial Marines APC, to which Carter would have informed her there were Marines stations at the colony. Both a reference to the abandoned APC from Aliens  and river of pain. Also originally scripted was as the transport flew away from the colony we'd hear the sound of what we'd assume to be a Human observing. I was actually considering making this person Hudson, who would have survived and ended up escaping the clutch of the alien. But this was beyond stupid, so I dropped it.

How the hell is this possible? How could the colony have survived intact? There was an easy way out of it being nuked by the processor. The company is, as we know, not all that concerned about peoples lives but they are concerned about their profits. Building weapons of mass destruction that would annihilate their investments didn't make much sense, so the engineers designed them to air burst in the event of catastrophic failure, or to chastise colonists who might get it in their heads that they didn't need the company anymore. So as they destroy themselves, they channel the energy up, not out. So what you got was an air burst nuked the size of Nebraska. This is also a way of explaining how anything could have been so intact in Colonial Marines, which is NOT canon in our story.

The storm shutters are sealed.

We learn Wey-Yu basically blamed Burke for the destruction of the colony. Especially in the commercial aboard Gateway. If you go back and listen to Mr. Deckard, Carter mentions that Burke could have done this from any functioning terminal if he deemed the colony un-salvageable. But didn't Burke know what would happen, did he have a plan to escape the concussive blast and radiation? Yes, he had a plan to gather specimens on his own, which Carter did not want, and encourage the recovery of the drop ship. It never made sense to me that them shooting their guns would cause such a disaster with the processor. So in our canon, Burke did get greedy, did set the processor to air burst and he did this in the hopes of encouraging a rescue attempt. The plan went well, till it all went wrong. Later in the series, Carter will discover evidence of Burke's actions.

Spoiler: In part 2, Carter will discover Newt's "Hidey Hole" and will end up keeping Newt's citizenship award picture.

Doggo33

Doggo33

Thank you. :o
I wasn't even aware of 'Alien: Solara'. I will be listening to these when I have some free time.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Excellent! I will listen today :)

It's good. I enjoyed it. The music is a lot louder than the voices. I listened in car and that was different than listening while working at my computer. I think it's too early to talk about the details.

Anarchist86ed

Yes I know. I couldn't balance them. AJ's audio was all over the place. He admits it was bad and low. But as I said... No complaining for redo.

The music too was a problem. I couldn't boost some of it at all, some was too high even lowered. We more or less have a "just shut up and deal with it" policy.

I'm hoping in the future AJ will redo his lines and I can fix it. But as I said he was moving, and I think it's rude to ask for a second go when this is all done for free.

XenoHunter99

No matter. I enjoyed it. I'm sure other people will too. :)

Forgot you already said so much in the easter eggs. Kylen sounded a little off, yes, and she's duplicitous! D: Oh wait... Android in an Alien(s) story. So we have head of spec ops, Carter; and Burke is actually Carter Burke, and Carter was Burke's boss. Hmm... :D

I never had a problem with the idea that marines firing and accidentally detonating a bag of grenades deep inside the structure could leave the atmosphere processor in a bad way. It's not that the actual reactor would be damaged, but the cooling and control systems could be a different story, with the injured/dying creatures gushing acid all over and the fact that the marines used armor piercing ammo. We also have no idea what effect the Aliens had on their environment while living there. If Burke could set the processor to overload from anywhere, he might also have been able to shut it down from anywhere. Seems a bit convoluted in story terms, but it's an interesting idea. I'll be happy to see where it goes. Thanks to you and your crew.

Anarchist86ed

The good thing about not being canon is we can make up any story we like and not be worried about disrupting established canon. Disney won't ever hire me to do anything Alien so it doesn't matter at all what story we tell.  ;D

Carter was Burke's boss.  ;D

But the characters named after AJ... AJ Carter, so it just kinda referenced it's self.

XenoHunter99

I caught all that about Carter, Burke, and AJ. It's all in good fun.  ;D

Creative freedom: GOOD!  :)

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 16, 2019, 02:27:58 PMI never had a problem with the idea that marines firing and accidentally detonating a bag of grenades deep inside the structure could leave the atmosphere processor in a bad way. It's not that the actual reactor would be damaged, but the cooling and control systems could be a different story, with the injured/dying creatures gushing acid all over and the fact that the marines used armor piercing ammo. We also have no idea what effect the Aliens had on their environment while living there. If Burke could set the processor to overload from anywhere, he might also have been able to shut it down from anywhere. Seems a bit convoluted in story terms, but it's an interesting idea. I'll be happy to see where it goes. Thanks to you and your crew.

Yeah, but you expose another plot hole with the acid. Sometimes it's strong enough to melt a star ships hull, other times it can't melt rubber. So I dismissed that as a factor. And the shooting and explosives were also dismissed as we can assume the processor was not that fragile. All those bullets would have had to have gone through layers of resin, metal, electronics... you name it in order to do damage. So I dismissed all that.

Certainly Burke could have shut it down before it reached no return, but his plans didn't work out. Greed is a powerful enemy.

As I've said, Colonial Marines is not canon in our story. If the processor was as destructive as claimed, the colony wouldn't have survived at all but in the game it seemed largely intact. So I took that theme and went with it explaining it as simply the processor was designed to boom UP, not out. The company would look really bad with those things basically being colony annihilating nukes, who'd want to live close to that? But the company being the company they had other motives, namely to teach lessons to colonies that were thinking about going independent and cutting the company out. It's no different than companies who try to force you to upgrade your phone, or make new gaming consoles every few years forcing you to invest even more money into them.

The company blames the whole thing on Burke, the perfect patsy. They had to come up with some reason the colony was "obliterated", he was as good a reason as any. But... the CEO doesn't know anything about what really happened. He doesn't know about the aliens. I decided to not make Wey-Yu completely evil in that regard. Carter most likely kept the higher ups from knowing about Ripley and her story, difficult as that might sound a company as massive as Wey-Yu is certain to not prioritize some things for the higher ups. After all, most dismissed Ripley as being nuts and there's no need to burden the CEO and the executives with this matter, the insurance guys will deal with it, that's what they're paid for. Carter simply kept the whole thing quiet, no need to trouble the CEO with the stories of a mad woman and her alien monsters. But the CEO did apparently read some of the report at some point, but obviously didn't pay much attention to it. Ripley was dead by then, and he didn't even know why colonial admin sent marines to Acheron. So he was basically in the dark about all of it. Ripley could have still been alive for all he knew, and didn't care.

Charon takes place after Solara so when the CEO asks if the mines on Plutus are lost, we can assume something very bad happened there and severely damaged Wey-Yu's financial situation. But, no, they don't know aliens were involved. Carter doesn't know what really happened.

Carter was the one actually responsible for the events of Aliens, not Burke. Burke was only following his orders. Carter, though appearing to not be a good guy, is not evil. He regrets what happened, he knows it's probably his fault. He, in a sense, adopts Rebecca Jorden. He finds her picture in the hidey hole and keeps it as a reminder that she's dead because of him, and he wonders how long she survived there before the monsters got her. He hopes to not find what's left of her on their inspection of the colony. It'll be asked many times if she's his daughter because he keeps the picture on his desk in the way a father would. I've already decided that sometimes he'll even talk to her, because she's the first victim of his actions he encounters. The knowledge of his actions weigh on him mentally. I haven't decided if she'll ever respond to him. But it would be a good way to show his mental breakdown over the guilt. He also learns her father was the first to be infected, and that will make things way worse. Worse even when his team finds the decaying corpses of Newt's mother and brother with other colonists.

I've also toyed with the idea of him making a holographic Newt based on colony records and vid files, making her live again in a sense. Maybe his way of trying to fix what he did to her. But I dunno.

The colony is simply to interesting, so I had to bring it back. There are so many secrets to uncover.

Anarchist86ed

#NewtLives

;)

XenoHunter99

We'll have to agree to disagree about some of the particulars. As I said, I can accept a lot of your premise as setup for your story. I love your enthusiasm, btw. It's wonderful, but I think you're saying too much too soon. I'd rather learn more about the characters from the audiocast. It's better if you let things unfold in the story. Then we can talk about it.

One point about the CEO discussion report at the beginning: I imagine, WY is big. Hadley's Hope and the leadworks Fiorina 161 are both at the hind end of space. 150 colonists is hardly even a news report. No one would know anything about either of them, and I doubt any of that would have a big a impact on WY's bottom line.

Whatever happened on Plutus, the numbers seem large enough that Acheron is not going to change the outcome. $180 million for the Sulaco is nothing to $1.8 trillion. Not nearly enough zeros! It's like looking for pocket change to pay rent. Plus, WY seems like more of a tech company than a mining company. They're involved in all that, but it's probably run through a subsidiary. And spec ops would be a whole other division, too - Off the books, even. I know. Nit-picking. But still, it's a fun story.

So, when will the next chapter be along?

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 19, 2019, 01:55:38 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree about some of the particulars. As I said, I can accept a lot of your premise as setup for your story. I love your enthusiasm, btw. It's wonderful, but I think you're saying too much too soon. I'd rather learn more about the characters from the audiocast. It's better if you let things unfold in the story. Then we can talk about it.

One point about the CEO discussion report at the beginning: I imagine, WY is big. Hadley's Hope and the leadworks Fiorina 161 are both at the hind end of space. 150 colonists is hardly even a news report. No one would know anything about either of them, and I doubt any of that would have a big a impact on WY's bottom line.

Whatever happened on Plutus, the numbers seem large enough that Acheron is not going to change the outcome. $180 million for the Sulaco is nothing to $1.8 trillion. Not nearly enough zeros! It's like looking for pocket change to pay rent. Plus, WY seems like more of a tech company than a mining company. They're involved in all that, but it's probably run through a subsidiary. And spec ops would be a whole other division, too - Off the books, even. I know. Nit-picking. But still, it's a fun story.

So, when will the next chapter be along?

QuoteWe'll have to agree to disagree about some of the particulars. As I said, I can accept a lot of your premise as setup for your story. I love your enthusiasm, btw. It's wonderful, but I think you're saying too much too soon. I'd rather learn more about the characters from the audiocast. It's better if you let things unfold in the story. Then we can talk about it.

Eh, it's not like a million people are paying attention anyway. Besides, the story changes constantly. I had to go back and change a lot of things for part 2.

QuoteOne point about the CEO discussion report at the beginning: I imagine, WY is big. Hadley's Hope and the leadworks Fiorina 161 are both at the hind end of space. 150 colonists is hardly even a news report. No one would know anything about either of them, and I doubt any of that would have a big a impact on WY's bottom line.

Sake of the plot.  ;D

QuoteWhatever happened on Plutus, the numbers seem large enough that Acheron is not going to change the outcome. $180 million for the Sulaco is nothing to $1.8 trillion. Not nearly enough zeros! It's like looking for pocket change to pay rent. Plus, WY seems like more of a tech company than a mining company. They're involved in all that, but it's probably run through a subsidiary. And spec ops would be a whole other division, too - Off the books, even. I know. Nit-picking. But still, it's a fun story.

Not the Sulaco, the Shinyo Maru, a private Wey-Yu ship. The Sulaco is not mentioned in our tale.And Wey-Yu does have mining subsidiaries as we know, in our canon they eliminated Kelland Mining, likely just absorbing it's resources and infrastructure and re-branding it. But it's still Wey-Yu. Like we'll still call Fox FOX, but we know it's owned by Disney and Fox will do the dirty work of releasing R rated movies. Same deal. Wey-Yu has subsidiaries to do the mining, but it's still Wey-Yu.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed