William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,736 times)

Perfect-Organism

It already exists

Stitch

Huggs

Huggs

Indeed, it do.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Aug 10, 2019, 10:01:49 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2019, 10:38:45 AM
Might have to look somewhere local, Keyes. I picked up my hard-cover last week and love it. Love those concept sketches.

Any chance you can throw up some pics of the book. The build and extras. That sort of thing ?

Yeah, I'll try and remember later.  :)

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 12, 2019, 04:55:21 AM
Indeed, it do.

Link?

SM

SM

It's fan made on Youtube and likely breaching not one but two copyrights.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 10, 2019, 05:52:46 PMI'm reading through it right now - as someone not terribly familiar with Gibson's script, it feels a little... disjointed, for some reason. I can't tell if that's the fault of the script or the adaptation, though.

As someone who knew the script reasonably well before this adaptation, I gotta say I found the comic a little hard to follow at times as well.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The comic felt a bit jumpy and weirdly paced, more so than the script. The panel layouts were part of that, but I've beaten that dead horse enough.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Aug 12, 2019, 07:50:53 AM
It's fan made on Youtube and likely breaching not one but two copyrights.
It is indeed. I wasn't going to release on YouTube for that exact reason. I kinda hope they don't get caught out before the whole thing is finished because it'll save me a job...

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 12, 2019, 05:45:25 PM
The comic felt a bit jumpy and weirdly paced, more so than the script. The panel layouts were part of that, but I've beaten that dead horse enough.
I did also find the comic a bit hard to follow as well. Part of the reason I wanted to combine the comic with the audio drama was to make it clearer what's happening. The audio drama is was easier to understand.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I finished reading the comic and... it sure was a comic book, I guess.

Maybe reading the script and listening to the audio drama will salvage it, but I didn't think the comic was that hot. Ripley (and to  a lesser degree, Newt) gets written out of the plot in the laziest way possible, Hicks (and to a lesser degree, Bishop) is a non-character who is given nothing to do and feels flat and lifeless, shit just kind of.... happens, it's all very inferior to the Alien3 we got.

There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

On a visual level, giving the UPP soldiers a USCM dropship was lazy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. They're an independent and potentially hostile military, what are they doing with USCM tech? Like I could come up with explanations, but that doesn't make it less stupid.
It took me a good while to figure out of the weapons division people were from the military or from W-Y and I'm not quite sure why.
Speaking of, the corporate woman mutating out of nowhere caught me totally off-guard, I had to flip back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page somewhere. Like, she gets sucker-punched and the very next panel is her mutating like something out of 'The Thing'.
The Sulaco gets intentionally diverted through UPP space to get to Anchorpoint because it's the shortest route.... but the Sulaco had apparently been out in space for four years since 'Aliens'? Wait, what? Like, the four year gap not only doesn't make sense, it's totally inconsequential to the story so why include it?

I mean, I'm glad this exists - it's kind of an oddity and seeing a rejected script get visually adapted is a novel idea. I'd like it if they took a crack at adapting other script drafts like the Ward or Twohy scripts.
But yeah this story was not good, or at least it wasn't executed well. I'll see if the actual script or the audio drama change my mind.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 16, 2019, 01:59:46 AM
Speaking of, the corporate woman mutating out of nowhere caught me totally off-guard, I had to flip back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page somewhere. Like, she gets sucker-punched and the very next panel is her mutating like something out of 'The Thing'.

She was infected, along with Spence, when the eggs broke containment. That's why they both mutated.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 16, 2019, 01:59:46 AMRipley (and to  a lesser degree, Newt) gets written out of the plot in the laziest way possible, Hicks (and to a lesser degree, Bishop) is a non-character who is given nothing to do and feels flat and lifeless.

Ripley was written out because at the time Gibson was hired to do the script, she didn't want to be in the film other than a cameo.

Hicks and Bishop (Hicks especially) came across far more prominently in the script. They seemed to be really dialled back into the background in the comic.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 16, 2019, 07:46:18 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 16, 2019, 01:59:46 AM

She was infected, along with Spence, when the eggs broke containment. That's why they both mutated.
I gathered that much, just the mutation itself was so abrupt and paced so poorly in the comic. Like it covers the entire mutation with no preamble in 2 panels.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

honestly the comic shouldve been another 3 issues so it was an 8 issue series... i think the comics pacing was a bit rushed. it was good, i enjoyed it... but the first 2 books were perfect pacing then the rest of the 3 were like crammed together and leaving out details and pacing!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I finished the audio drama, I liked it a lot more than the comic. The pacing felt more on-point, the characters didn't feel flat and lifeless, some things were explained better, and all around it was a more enjoyable experience.

SM

SM

Quote from: DorkiDori on Aug 17, 2019, 04:23:33 AM
honestly the comic shouldve been another 3 issues so it was an 8 issue series... i think the comics pacing was a bit rushed. it was good, i enjoyed it... but the first 2 books were perfect pacing then the rest of the 3 were like crammed together and leaving out details and pacing!

Film adaptations rarely run even four issues, nevermind five.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed