𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SM on May 20, 2013, 12:03:27 AM
Quote from: azrael55 on Mar 22, 2013, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Mar 22, 2013, 05:12:36 PM
Quote from: azrael55 on Mar 22, 2013, 03:29:34 PM
Quote from: TERMINATOR-SSD on Mar 19, 2013, 11:58:06 PM
Hope you guys like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEskNLMyr0#ws

Ha, that's really funny :) I don't own this game but I watched/read a lot of online reviews and it always bugged me when I saw the pulse rifle with 40/60 rounds... and while the game is mostly trashed by critics a lot of people were saying that they liked the "attention to detail" and I felt like nope, they even f**ked up the ammo for the pulse rifle...

It was intentional, not an oversight. Ripley's flamethrower and Hudson's pulse rifle both hold 95 rounds per mag.

Ok, maybe this was done intentionally, still a stupid decision imo because in Aliens these pulse rifles weren't any different from the others. And 95 is not 99 ;)

It's 95 in the film, but they got the flamethrower and pulse rifle around the wrong way in the game if it makes you feel better.  ;D

According to the CMTM the pulse rifles takes 99 rounds but the magazines are only loaded to 95 in order to reduce the autoloaders tendency to jam. IIRC the developers deliberately switched the PR and flame thrower around so that the player can see the ammo counter. Conversely, in the film it was important that the audience could see the ammo counter.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It wouldn't really be bad for the display to be on either side.  When you aim your looking through the sight post anyways, so you wouldn't really see how many rounds you had left if it was on your left side and you were shooting.  Today you always shoot with the stock on your right shoulder so the casings eject without hitting you in the face.  The PR's are suppossed to be caseless, but if other weapon systems aren't they could still teach the same technique in the future. I've wondered if the eyepiece the CM's have could be a targeting computer linked to their weapons and allow them to fire from the hip, but even then the counter wouldn't really be that great because you'd only really look at it in a lull in the battle and standard operating procedure now is to swap mags in a lull in the battle as soon as you can.  But the SOP might be different when one m41 can have essentially what a belt fed automatic machine gun has now.

If it was on the outside (right side) a battle buddy could keep you informed on how low your ammo was getting and whether or not you needed to change mags.

But an enemy could also see this counter as well and potentially use it against you and that technique wouldn't work for the last man.

The best way I think something like that would work was to have the targeting computer tell you how much ammo you had either in your eyepiece, or in audibly in your comm system.

Or like Halo where it is below the sight apetures on the weapon.  Just incorporate looking at it as soon as you scan for new targets since the weapon is suppossed to be just below eye level anyways.

scm

scm

So I finally played through the game recently. The multiplayer is definitely the highlight of the game. I played through the campaign twice, once on ultimate badass and then once on easy to get missing achievements. The first half of the game I had played high with a friend and that definitely improved this terrible game. Just that campaign was so terrible and f**k the raven. Holy shit that fight on singleplayer is impossible I swear. Even on recruit I couldn't kill it because of the piss poor controlling of the powerloader, had to end up just joining random online games to beat that level.
Stories terrible and still the most wtf moment of the guy blowing himself up on the umbilical. The only ok character is Reid, dont even get me started on the terrible acting from Oneal, Bella and Cruz.
I'd rate it 5/10 at best and i feel like i'm being generous still.

Jarac

Jarac

Honestly, if there was an "award" for "Worst Game of the Year", I think Colonial Marines would be right at the top of the list.

Adey

Adey

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 24, 2013, 03:06:29 AM
You know what I think of Aliens: Colonial Marines?

I think with Aliens: Colonial Marines it didn't require any discipline. They merely read what others (the previous movies) had done then they took the next step. They didn't earn the knowledge for themselves, so they don't take any responsibility for it. They stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could, and before they even knew what they had, they patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now *bangs on table* you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
WE HAVE A HOLLYWOOD ACTOR WITH US WOOOOOO, HI MR GOLDBLOOM  ;D

SM

SM

Picked it up for $4.99USD from Steam on the weekend.

I really need a graphics card.  It's unplayable without one.  Only got up to the bit just after cutting Keyes down.  The HUD is annoying, and the Alien near Keyes just sat there while I blasted it.

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2013, 11:55:43 PM
Picked it up for $4.99USD from Steam on the weekend.

I really need a graphics card.  It's unplayable without one.  Only got up to the bit just after cutting Keyes down.  The HUD is annoying, and the Alien near Keyes just sat there while I blasted it.

Play on Ultimate Badass, that removes the HUD.

SM

SM

I don't mind its function but the way it floats around is shitty.

Junone Master

Junone Master

Quote from: DB on Feb 13, 2013, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: ikarop on Feb 12, 2013, 09:43:13 PMI'm sort of impressed that this whole boiler thing has become an actual meme.

http://i.imgur.com/ZwUzYbj.gif

Do we make a collection?

Bros, don't be sad. If anything, enjoy the delicious tears across the internet. Revel in the world burning around you. Because you know what? All that butthurt means only one thing: people care about Aliens. They remember. They love this ancient series and remember how it felt to see Ripley climb into a powerloader to face the Devil's mother. They remember what it felt to check under their beds before going to sleep right after watching Alien. It is because they remember that they QQ. Our Alien is still much beloved, and he is not yet a corpse. They are also 60 bucks poorer but that's not the point.

And one day, just maybe, a hero will rise. He is the hero we deserve, but will become the hero we need right now. We'll tear down these bad games, because Aliens can take it. Because Aliens isn't just a movie. It's an inspiration for all science-fiction. It is the muse that was ripped off influenced the marines in Halo. The Tyranids of 40k. The monstrous Zerg. The law of "all dropship pilots must be women". Sil from Species. BRO marines. "Stay frosty" everywhere. A creative vision will one day find Aliens. That time, it will be war.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Deathbite/firemans-tears.jpg

BEST SPEECH OF ALL TIME!!!!

WeylandWhitacre

WeylandWhitacre

A Mixed Egg
weylandwhitacre wrote this review on  November 22, 2013.

If you're taking the time to read this review, you're probably already acutely aware of the shit storm surrounding Aliens: Colonial Marines. You know about the E3 demo and how the finished game doesn't resemble what we saw, you know about the bugs, you know about poor AI and we all know who that guy, Randy Pitchford is now. These are all things that keep the game from being truly great, but I can tell you with confidence that it's not the train wreck we've been led to believe.

As a rabid fan of the Aliens franchise and James Cameron's masterpiece in particular, I can easily overlook some of the games flaws simply on the basis that I'm a fan, so I think it's important to go ahead and put that out there. If you are not an Aliens fan, you're probably not going to get much out of the game, but for those of us that are fans, there is a lot to like here. Put simply, ACM is a victim of unrealistic expectations. Not everyone is an Aliens fan, but those of us who are, like me, really really like it. When the game was first announced, I was immensely excited, but also hesitant so I wouldn't get too disappointed when the game wasn't the greatest game in the world. After all, this is still a movie licensed game we're talking about, even if it's not tied into an upcoming film. This is one of the hardest reviews I've ever had to write. ACM is such a mixed bag that one minute you'll be cursing the TV because of a tedious and broken boss battle and the next you'll be amazed and enlightened by the sheer amount of detail that makes the game look and feel like Aliens.

The one thing Gearbox absolutely nailed was the atmosphere and style of the film. Hadley's Hope looks just like you remembered, with little detailed touches like the neon red bar sign, the Weyland Big Wheels bike from the special edition version of the film, and the overall look of the game is a love letter to the film. It's littered with references. Some of them are a bit obnoxious, but it's still nice to see that the developers took time and care to really flesh out the universe.

The sound design is also spot on. The pulse rifle sounds exactly as it did in the film and the xenomorphs shriek and growl like they should. The motion tracker is another little touch that really wraps you up in the game and the Alien franchise. Before I get to the flaws, I can't stress enough just how much ACM does the film justice in terms of atmosphere. It's obvious these guys have a pure love for the film. Sadly, the same love wasn't directed towards the characters of the game. Your marine comrades are blatant cardboard cutouts of the more interesting characters from the films. Their motives aren't clear and the dialogue, while well voiced, are poorly written. Michael Biehn gives an uninspired performance as he revives his role as Hicks. However, my Aliens favorite, Lance Henriksen, gives a solid performance as Bishop.

Loving a film and incorporating that love into your game is great, but it doesn't make a good game. You still have to have gameplay that is intriguing and functional. To some extent, the gameplay in ACM is fun and halfway functional, but the bottom line is, the game wasn't finished when it was shipped out. The AI is piss poor, especially with your teammates. They shoot their guns and move around, but it all comes down to you against all the enemies. Many times they would be going in the wrong direction or block your path to another room entirely. It would have been nice to have some simple squad commands for a small tactical gameplay element. The xenomorphs fair much better in the AI department and with the latest patch from Gearbox, many of the initial problems have been fixed. They climb on the walls, ceiling, and are smarter than you might expect. Sometimes, they charge you without any strategy, but it's not something that breaks your immersion.

Blasting your way through levels are still fund despite the AI issues. The response you get from your large arsenal of weapons is satisfying and everything functions properly from your perspective. There isn't much variety in terms of the gameplay, as you'll just be mowing down xeno's and Weyland Yutani forces, but we're in the Aliens universe and that makes up for the otherwise, generic gameplay. Let me stress that this is a game for fans only. If you aren't interested in the Aliens franchise, many of the games flaws might break you. Another good aspect of the gameplay is that it gives you high replay value and a lot of incentive to keep playing the campaign. All of your weapons are upgradable, there are challenges to complete, audio files and dog tags to collect, and of course trophies to slave over. For me, all of that is the meat of the game.

Multiplayer has actually been pretty popular and despite the game's negative reviews and fan criticism, it has a fairly large and active community. I haven't played all the modes, but I have played Bug Hunt, which seems to be everyone's favorite. It's basically set up like a combination of Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty Zombies. You and two to three more players are pitted against a slew of xeno's and the goal is to unlock new areas after each wave is defeated. I had a lot of fun with this and I can see myself getting more involved with it. I also had a chance to play through a couple of the campaign levels cooperatively via online. The campaign experience fairs much better with a friend, as you actually feel like someone has your back, unlike the terrible AI of the single player comrades.

There's a lot of game in ACM and if you're willing to overlook many of the game's bugs and flaws, you're sure to have, if nothing else, a midly entertaining time. As a fan of the franchise, I'm predisposed to like this game more than the average gamer, but even so, despite the unfinished feel of the game, there's enough content to keep you busy. Gearbox may have fumbled the ball more than a fan wants to admit, but ACM is not anywhere near the atrocity that popular gaming sites have led us to believe.

C+

SM

SM

See, even the things you found positive about I found lacking.  There's a long list of mistakes they made in terms of locations when comparing game to film, and while a lot of sound was okay, things like the sentry gun were wrong.

WeylandWhitacre

WeylandWhitacre

Most of the things I found wrong just weren't game breaking. There is no doubt that ACM was a disappointment. I don't beat around the bush with that. I think my review just expresses that it was labeled such a failure because it had such high expectations. I've played games way worse. There's a lot of game in ACM and quite a bit of replay value, which for buying the game used for 15 bucks, (with the Bug Hunt code included) I got my money's worth. A game like Terminator Salvation is a bad game. There was no love for the franchise in that game, it was repetitive as shit and when compared, ACM looks like a great game. I picked up Salvation for 9 bucks and I STILL felt ripped off. As an Aliens fan, ACM could have been way worse. It's a victim of high expectations and not enough development time, even though it was technically in development for years. It was just rushed out unfinished.

SM

SM

It had high expectations because Gearbox blew their supposed "authenticity" and attention to detail out the wazoo.

Powerloader

Powerloader

I recently finished my first play-through of this.  I waited until the price came down, I didn't want to fork out $100 for a brand new copy.  :laugh:

I enjoyed it.  Yes, there's a lot of 'been there, done that', but it's an FPS.. it pretty much does the movie it's based on (Aliens) justice.  It's just about pew pew pew.. shooting at things and blowing shit up.  :laugh: 

I must admit, even though the game is way too short, I still got tired of shooting at aliens and WY soldiers.  Needed more variety.

Graphics were ok.. level design is pretty good.

About equal to AVP 2010 for me.. although AVP 2010 has the edge for its more varied game-play and better boss battles.

6/10

Gigers Alien

Gigers Alien

In a nutshell, if you want an Aliens version of Left 4 Dead, well here it is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed