When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 73,281 times)

fritzilla

fritzilla

"half of this movie must take place on Planet Heaven and be totally Giger"

Absof$cking Lutely!

Give us a planet with landscapes resembling the art in Giger's books.  Let the whole BIO Mechanical thing just permeate the planet with unusual, dare I say "alien" environments, full of the semi-erotic stylistic touches.  The one thing that always fascinated me was the fact that the alien wasn't purely organic looking, it had a touch of manufacturing, piping, etc...

Nukiemorph

This news has me hopeful that they stick with the rumored plan.

Finish David's story and explain the space jockey in one more film.

Then move onto a soft reboot - a totally separate story that takes place years after Resurrection that doesn't run the risk of continuity errors and retcons with previous films.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think that they will let Scott do another as long as HE WANTS to do it...

You have to figure that FOX can always go with a soft reboot should the dredges get dug too deep.

As of now an 80million$ sequel to Covenant or even a 90million$ one, is guaranteed to at least turn some profit without hurting FOX's ability to do that soft reboot at any-time thereafter. So there really is no reason not to let Scott do what he wants within the confines of a slightly smaller budget. If we're considering the idea that people perceive Scott's prequels to have hurt the legacy, that reputation only stands to worsen over-time, for Fox, if he doesn't do another and finish the story. Imagine if Lucas stopped at Episode 2... COVENANT isn't nearly that bad.

As for the above suggestion of Ripley vrs David, well if they made Blomkamps film and brought David into that storyline as the main antagonist vrs Ripley, Newt and Hicks, I think fans would be far more accepting of a lot of things. Even if I still dislike the idea of these films retconning A3, if we get some grand-scale payoff like this, I'd be more excited about it.

windebieste

Scott will get the budget he needs.  If he feels he needs more money, he'll ask for it.  He's been using the strategy of storyboarding entire movies to work out exactly what he needs for nearly 40 years now.  That's a lot of experience behind him right there.

I have a lot of faith in Scott delivering a great 3rd movie in this series.  Maybe another after that if it does well. 

-Windebieste.

monkeylove

If the production cost is around $100 million, marketing another $100 million, and the distributor's cut from the box office around 30 percent, then it will have to make around $290 million to break even. That also means little or no profit for the studio and investors unless they want and earn from merchandising. But they will need the money right away to fund other projects.

If they will fund a sequel, then they will likely require assurance that it will earn enough so that they will get a 10-percent return right away, even with around a 30-percent tax on net profit. That may mean box office receipts of around $320 million given the same costs for the earlier film.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: monkeylove on Sep 21, 2017, 08:33:55 AM
If the production cost is around $100 million, marketing another $100 million, and the distributor's cut from the box office around 30 percent, then it will have to make around $290 million to break even. That also means little or no profit for the studio and investors unless they want and earn from merchandising. But they will need the money right away to fund other projects.

If they will fund a sequel, then they will likely require assurance that it will earn enough so that they will get a 10-percent return right away, even with around a 30-percent tax on net profit. That may mean box office receipts of around $320 million given the same costs for the earlier film.

How are you coming up with these figures? I never heard of a film were %10 return right away. I am familiar with 70 to 90 % return  right away on some productions. Also what is 30% tax on net profit? Rarely do marketing cost that much, sometimes. I would say a tad lower for most.

Baron Von Marlon

Anyone else who sometimes feels like this:

There's a certain cruel irony to it all.
The story of the movies started with with a quest for answers and knowledge.
And now I am (we are?) stuck in the limbo of not knowing, just like the characters.
Or almost like characters in many Lovecraftian tales, going mad during the process of searching for the truth. But that might be just me  ;D

Evanus

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 21, 2017, 05:30:09 PM
Anyone else who sometimes feels like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/69/9b/ea699b70cd3e63fa1d8cb448c8f3f5b9.jpg

There's a certain cruel irony to it all.
The story of the movies started with with a quest for answers and knowledge.
And now I am (we are?) stuck in the limbo of not knowing, just like the characters.
Or almost like characters in many Lovecraftian tales, going mad during the process of searching for the truth. But that might be just me  ;D

Just like the end of Prometheus! And those questions are still left hanging!

I get where folk are coming from. But I'm just too scared of the next film. I'm too scared of David or some human being in that Derelict chair and the eggs being the eggmorphed colonists of the Covenant.

T Dog

Quote from: fritzilla on Sep 21, 2017, 03:59:32 AM
"half of this movie must take place on Planet Heaven and be totally Giger"

Absof$cking Lutely!

Give us a planet with landscapes resembling the art in Giger's books.  Let the whole BIO Mechanical thing just permeate the planet with unusual, dare I say "alien" environments, full of the semi-erotic stylistic touches.  The one thing that always fascinated me was the fact that the alien wasn't purely organic looking, it had a touch of manufacturing, piping, etc...
I've always thought that this is the only and final thing left for the series to do. It's my Alien dream. A Giger-esque planet......one can dream. That and the original big boy Space Jockey.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 21, 2017, 07:04:59 PM
Just like the end of Prometheus! And those questions are still left hanging!

I get where folk are coming from. But I'm just too scared of the next film. I'm too scared of David or some human being in that Derelict chair and the eggs being the eggmorphed colonists of the Covenant.

You can wait for the reviews and decide afterwards to watch the movie or not.
(When it comes to Terminator movies, I've only seen the first two and a part of the 3rd. I chose not to watch the sequels because I don't want to "taint" the Terminator memory section of my brain.)
Even so, you can always deny the truth and choose one of your liking, possible based on other scripts.

Anyway, I'm more scared I'll never get proper background info on the Engineers. I care more about their story than about the xeno or who might be the Jockey.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: CainsSon on Sep 21, 2017, 04:37:12 AM
Imagine if Lucas stopped at Episode 2...
Yeah, I mean, having two Star Wars prequels instead of three sounds awful...Just awful... :P

Evanus

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 21, 2017, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Sep 21, 2017, 04:37:12 AM
Imagine if Lucas stopped at Episode 2...
Yeah, I mean, having two Star Wars prequels instead of three sounds awful...Just awful... :P
Yes, actually. It does sound awful.

Inverse Effect

I Wouldn't be surprised if that Derelict was Some kind of human or android in the chair and all those eggs were the colonist.

SM

A chestbursted android?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed