When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 73,806 times)

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: bleau on Sep 20, 2017, 04:45:01 PM
QuoteWhen universes are as rich as "Alien," they can stay in a too familiar groove — in which case you're in trouble 

Are they (Fox) acknowledging that making covenant full of Aliens was a bad idea? That's how I took it.

Seems so. Talk about screwing the pooch again. It's like they never learned after the clusterf**k with Fincher on Alien 3.

I like mentioned before, I hope Fox let's Scott at least salvage whatever is left of the story he wanted to tell with the engineers and finish the trilogy.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

That's precisely it. Covenant made events out of sequences that should've been resolved in seconds.

Prometheus offed its cast pretty quickly. They died in groups and build ups and deaths weren't the primary focus. Snake kills some guys here, zombie thrashes some people there, Engineers smacks these guys, oh and these other guys kamikaze. Done. Mere minutes total.

Covenant?! Covenant!! Covenant really thought we'd enjoy spending time with Rosenthal. Did we really need that entire two minutes, from the neomorph climbing, to her reaching for her gun, to yawn, the screaming in the distance? No attempt to subvert expectations at all. Every shot matters. Ridley just shoots from several different angles and slaps it together later. But every shot matters. It's the rhythm. Imagine Brett's death with us hanging out with Big Chap a couple seconds prior.

Upworth and Ricks? f**k them, let us just discover their bodies. I'd rather we spend time hearing some good dialogue from David or Walter. Or some more engineer shit.

Lindelof had it right. Play the old hits but in new ways and limited quantities.

The whole story sucked though... colony ship? It was wrong right from the start. Colony ship?! Give us scientists, corporate suits, and guys with guns.

Batalien

Batalien

I just hope they get to finish David's story. At this point , I am more interested in David's journey than Space Jockey's origin.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: 0321recon on Sep 20, 2017, 03:48:05 PM
From what I read they still trust Scott and co with the franchise, I'm all ok with since it was Fox who messed up here. They acknowledge it wasn't the story they should had gone with. Like no s#$%. They should had let Scott do his true Prometheus 2 were Shaw and David search for the engineers and the horrors they encounter while concurrently Blomkamp doing his Alien 3 to build up the universe.

I hope with this, they let Scott do his Promethean universe building while someone else or Blomkamp finally does his Alien 3 with Weaver and Co. since Jamie Lee and Linda are coming back to reboot their franchises.

My thoughts exactly.
Split up the franchise. Give us David, Engineers and cosmic horror type movies AND separate Alien flicks.
And use proper marketing so the general public doesn't get confused and knows what to expect.

XENOMORPHOSIS

What if they pull some weird twist of David using himself as a vessel of an Alien embryo, him being an android explains the biomechanicle nature of the traditional Alien. He hijacks the Derelict ship, pilot the chair, but the chest burster emerges too early and he crashes on LV-426. Combining David conclusion as the origin as the Space Jockey. I'm really iffy about this theory.

PierreVW

Great news.

FOX still has faith in my man Ridley Scott.

BishopShouldGo

It's easy Fox. Ripley, adult Newt, Hicks, a dash of Bishop, a cameo from an old David model, a cool corporate villain, Blomkamp directing and Scott producing, presto.

We all want that, and to those that don't, they're going to want it eventually.

newagescamartist

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 20, 2017, 06:45:37 PM
It's easy Fox. Ripley, adult Newt, Hicks, a dash of Bishop, a cameo from an old David model, a cool corporate villain, Blomkamp directing and Scott producing, presto.

We all want that, and to those that don't, they're going to want it eventually.

Make it David 8 as the villain and you got yourself a deal. It could kill two birds with one stone. I'm been pretty much against a retcon, but at this point Fox needs a hit and this might be batshit crazy enough to work.

SuicideDoors

If the last of Alien we see is from the last 10 minutes of Covenant that's going to leave a bitter taste in my mouth. The majority of Covenant was good but the Alien was so shoehorned in. I'm a bit discouraged to learn they trust whatever direction Ridley intends to come up with next - I fear a 360 coming on.

Cellien

In a way, Prometheus and Covenant already felt like the reboot for the franchise.  The conflicting changes are pretty far and wide, from the space jockeys, the goo, and the creatures; sharing resemblance to the old lore, but different enough to be a re-envisioning.

acrediblesource

There is a trust with this director and the brood that follows the production. It generates income, not huge but the re-inventive nature of these films is really what keeps it alive and keeping us (movie goers) interested. It's like if its going to be more of a Twighlight zone for the theatres, then all the power to them. But for FOX to crush the franchise is hurtful to the market and the economy. They should by more investors quickly.

Thomas Buxton

Thomas Buxton

Alien Covenant was a COMPLETE failure. Am I the only one who thought Ridley was giving the bird to all the Prometheus Haters who moaned ' No Aliens'  Covenant was trying to be to films at once and FAILED at both, opening scene with David and weyland looked promising (Ridley is so trying to get back to Blade Runner Lore ) an to bring in the original alien score TOP , After that (apart from Fassbender it was a complete car crash) Quarantine protocol's HA HA STUPID FILM.   

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I want one more Ridley Scott alien movie. I just hopes he gives me what I want. Aliens as a natural being corrupted by the engineers as a means of survival against a terror from another galaxy and David being driven insane when he realizes all he can do is copy shit in an inferior way. Of course Space Engineer Jesus F-ing Christ himself will save the day by killing David and crashing the derelict into lv426.

You know, nice and simple. Wrap a bow on it.

Oh shit I almost forgot, half of this movie must take place on Planet Heaven and be totally Giger™.

Hyperdyne120-a2

Hyperdyne120-a2

Yyyyyyeah, definitely gonna need that resolution to Alien: Covanent's cliff-hanger by 5 pm. Thanks.

And while I'm here...why not let Ridley continue spinning HUS OWN Engineer/David story, and then let Fincher have HIS OWN stab at another Alien film? That would right all the wrongs without that deplorable retcon idea. Am I the only one was disgusted by Blomkampf's art? Seriously, Ripley wearing some sort of Xeno suit....? Come on. And I don't need to see Hicks and Newt 30 years older. We've all lived with A3 for 25 years. It happened. Ripley died. And most of us strike Res from the record. Just reboot it with Fincher helming a doomy, dark character driven story. I'm so scared Ripley is going to come back. :(

senopahx

senopahx

They need to shut Ridley Scott down and abort these prequels.

They're just a mess story-wise, relying almost entirely on supposedly intelligent characters acting unintelligently in order to drive the plot forward... and it's all covered in Scott's psuedo-philisophical nonsense that neither film explores in a way that's satisfying to the viewer.

I had high hopes that Scott would learn from Prometheus' many flaws. He didn't. Covenant suffered from all of the same issues and, in the process, somehow managed to make a movie about strange alien civilizations and space travel predictable and BORING.

I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise but I have no interest in seeing a 3rd film with Scott at the helm.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed