The Predator to begin filming by October!

Started by Darkoo, May 07, 2016, 04:38:26 AM

Author
The Predator to begin filming by October! (Read 29,200 times)

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2016, 11:46:27 AM
Quotethey could have totally invent new characters and replace them and the movie would have been basically the same
You could say the same about The Empire Strikes Back. It didn't need to be about Han, Luke and Leia again. They could've had new characters.

Yes, so? The characters were beloved so they included them again, doing fans a favour, that's the whole Point.

The plot of the movie literally revolves around people trying to find him, so yeah, he was pretty story-driven.
Yes, the whole movie was about finding Luke, yet the whole movie played fine with out his actual appearance. It wouldn't change a thing if they left him out completely. They found out where he is, movie ends, fine. His actual appearance without a single word of dialogue was just for the fanboys, hence "fan-Service".

overthere

overthere

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 11, 2016, 12:33:43 PM
Dutch doesn't strike me as someone who'd care enough about what the public think to even bother telling them. Why would he?

He doesn't have to go out and tell them. People could notice something's off with him, peek into his apartment and see a bunch of articles and research material he put up all over the walls or something. It doesn't take much for rumors to start spreading around. Stuff like "I heard he went crazy and killed his whole team, blamed it on aliens" or something. I assume Dutch is severely traumatized and carries a lot of psychological baggage from the encounter.

If done right, this movie could have the tone of Nolan's Batman.

Ash 937

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 11, 2016, 12:54:09 PM
Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2016, 11:46:27 AM
Quotethey could have totally invent new characters and replace them and the movie would have been basically the same
You could say the same about The Empire Strikes Back. It didn't need to be about Han, Luke and Leia again. They could've had new characters.

Yes, so? The characters were beloved so they included them again, doing fans a favour, that's the whole Point.

The plot of the movie literally revolves around people trying to find him, so yeah, he was pretty story-driven.
Yes, the whole movie was about finding Luke, yet the whole movie played fine with out his actual appearance. It wouldn't change a thing if they left him out completely. They found out where he is, movie ends, fine. His actual appearance without a single word of dialogue was just for the fanboys, hence "fan-Service".

In the ESB Luke goes back to Bespin to save his friends and face Vader even though he's not ready.  Han Solo returns to save Luke in ANH so he can destroy the original Death Star.  In TFA, both of them have run away from their problems and haven't come to the rescue of the anybody even though its clear that the whole galaxy could pretty much use their help.  I thought that was cowardly and completely out of character for Luke and Han.  I blame the poorly conceived story for this.  Or you could just assume that in a galaxy far, far, away you can get away with that sort of stuff and still be idolized by people.

Master

This is exactly one of my biggest problems with TFA. Luke confronts his problems, not escapes from them. This is one of the most important traits of his character and very similar to Anakin.

In TFA the could have made him the hero once again. Him comming to Starkiller only to find out it's too late to save Han but still saving Rey would have been very Luke-ish but still new. Insted we have a Luke coward chillin by the sea :(

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Hm...filming in October eh? Alright, assume they film for for...4 months, they wrap up in February, and go into post production for the next year.

Vermillion

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 07, 2016, 09:26:11 AM
A Predator and Dutch, stranded on an alien planet, where they must now put their stubborn differences aside to survive... and fall in love... and get to da choppa together.

Enemy Mine.

Remake.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 07, 2016, 09:26:11 AM
A Predator and Dutch, stranded on an alien planet, where they must now put their stubborn differences aside to survive... and fall in love... and get to da choppa together.

Ha, now that you've mentioned stubborn differences, I guess there's two sides to every coin. Who can say who's right or who's wrong? Predator just trying to kill Dutch, or Dutch refusing to die? There's no right and wrongs in this one, just depends on how you look at things.

I still say Predator was hired by the guerillas to be their bodyguard. Nobody forced Dutch to come there. It's his own damn fault.

426Buddy

Guerillas ahould get their money back lol. Pred stood by and watched Dutch's team slaughter the whole camp during lunch.

Vermillion

Boom-ba Baby!  Lol

Doggo33

"The fact that they included the characters and build a Story around them does in no way determine the fact that they are fan Service, written in for the old School fans. The movie didn't Need them, they could have totally invent new characters and replace them and the movie would have been basically the same."

- I don't think you understand what fan service is. It doesn't just mean doing something that pleases the fans. That's just good writing. Fan service is where there's no reason besides pleasing the fans for doing something (i.e. unnecessary cameo's). The franchise had thus far been built around the Skywalker's and Han is a key part of that story as of 'Star Wars: Episode IV - The New Hope' so it makes sense for those characters to reappear. As for Luke Skywalker's brief appearance, as someone else said the story revolved around him still but his appearance ended leaving you wanting more (on a separate note I really dislike how much of a rip-off the movie is so am not really a fan) and obviously he's going to be in the next film a lot more. He didn't just appear for no real reason. Also, where he not to appear until the next movie, that would be copying the original trilogy even more (with Yoda).

"Right, on an Island full of dinos they Chose to have a final fight with the T-Rex and not any of the other gazillion dinos"

- Because as I said, it's the iconic dinosaur of the series. And it's an iconic dinosaur in real life so it would make sense to have it where it is in the park enabling the protagonist to get it.

"on top of that, letting it smash the Spino Skeleton. Even the filmakers said the T-Rex is there for his redemption only, so really, there is no arguing here."

And i never said the fact that there is a T-Rex is unbelievable... and so isn't that Dutch might return for another round."

- As I said, it sort of is fan service but it's still understandable within context. Dutch does not need to come back and shouldn't given that there are younger, far better actors. It would overall fall into a pit of fan service that I don't want to see.

Johnny Handsome

I don't really think you understand what fan-Service really means, so we disagree.

You talk about bringing beloved characters back was necessary in Star Wars because they build a Story around them, but in The Predator it isn't? How do you even know that?

Fan Service can be both necessary and unnecessary, it always depends on how the writer involves certain characters and how they build them into the Story. Just because it makes sense that a returning character is back on Screen doesn't make it any less of a fan Service, it just makes it well made fan service.
As I said, it sort of is fan service but it's still understandable within context. Dutch does not need to come back and shouldn't given that there are younger, far better actors. It would overall fall into a pit of fan service that I don't want to see.

There are better and younger actors than Mark Hammilton and Harrison Ford, what does that have to do with anything? And like i said, you say the return of Dutch will make no sense, yet we know literally nothing about the Story. What is if he will be a integral part or a missing link in the story?

We can only specualte, yet you want to make it a fact that Dutch will be a waste yet the movies i mentioned, namely Star Wars, Jurassic World etc. clearly Show that you can have fan Service and have it be part of a storyline that will explain in a pleasing way to the audience why the character is there on Screen.

Vermillion

Regardless. You will pay money to see it.

Enough lame bickering you ninnies

Ash 937

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 13, 2016, 08:43:45 AM
We can only specualte, yet you want to make it a fact that Dutch will be a waste yet the movies i mentioned, namely Star Wars, Jurassic World etc. clearly Show that you can have fan Service and have it be part of a storyline that will explain in a pleasing way to the audience why the character is there on Screen.

You're assuming that The Force Awakens and Jurassic World are good movies.  Fan service is a B.S. gimmick when it comes to taking a new film in a franchise seriously. 

Quote from: Vermillion on May 13, 2016, 04:42:50 PM
Regardless. You will pay money to see it.

Yup.

blood.

What's shanblack doing after predator?

The rock just said on instagram he's doing a film in 2017 with shane black... It's not predator is it?

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: bloodinthemud on May 16, 2016, 02:56:55 AM
What's shanblack doing after predator?

The rock just said on instagram he's doing a film in 2017 with shane black... It's not predator is it?

It might be Predator because if The Rock is saying he's doing a film in 2017, and this movie comes out in 2018, then it's likely that.

After having a look, I can't find the tweet you're talking about, but according to Google, Shane Black thinks that the Rock would make a good Doc Savage. It could be that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed