Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 90,794 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Stitch on Jul 29, 2021, 12:50:18 AM
Having now moved on to Dead Space 3... It immediately felt like a generic third person shooter set in the Blade Runner world. Did not feel at all like Dead Space.

I'm up to chapter 6 now, and there's a little more DS feeling to it, but it's definitely off.

Stick with it. There's some wild stuff ahead.

I was disappointed in it until my second play through. Then I began to enjoy the fact that it was different.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Definitely play the Dead Space 3 story DLC, too.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 29, 2021, 03:17:59 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Jul 29, 2021, 12:50:18 AM
Having now moved on to Dead Space 3... It immediately felt like a generic third person shooter set in the Blade Runner world. Did not feel at all like Dead Space.

I'm up to chapter 6 now, and there's a little more DS feeling to it, but it's definitely off.

Stick with it. There's some wild stuff ahead.

I was disappointed in it until my second play through. Then I began to enjoy the fact that it was different.
Hopefully it'll get better soon. It's almost there, but something's missing.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 29, 2021, 09:42:27 AM
Definitely play the Dead Space 3 story DLC, too.

Yeah, I've heard it's basically required for the plot. I'll get there. Eventually.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't mind the third one except for the final boss...........which I thought was somewhat of a silly idea. 

I can see if you are fan of more linear games, and linear games are not always bad, the fact that there are a couple of locations in the game you can just simply not go to progress the story might feel somewhat different. 

Kind of the Evil Within vs EW2, and to a lesser degree, TLOU vs TLOU2.  It also just suffers from multiple horror franchises suffer.  Once you are used to it, you are never going to get that feeling of the first couple of games again. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It also suffers from: contrived writing, universal ammo, hordes over meaningful encounters, sexualised designs, invasive monetization and the list goes on further.

Lots still to like and dislike, I still put hundreds of hours into it after all, and likely will again.

But familiarity with the Necromorphs' not where the issues come from.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jul 30, 2021, 01:37:52 AM
I didn't mind the third one except for the final boss...........which I thought was somewhat of a silly idea. 

I can see if you are fan of more linear games, and linear games are not always bad, the fact that there are a couple of locations in the game you can just simply not go to progress the story might feel somewhat different. 

Kind of the Evil Within vs EW2, and to a lesser degree, TLOU vs TLOU2.  It also just suffers from multiple horror franchises suffer.  Once you are used to it, you are never going to get that feeling of the first couple of games again.

Strangely enough, I much preferred the end of DS3 to the beginning. The beginning felt off, like a generic third person shooter. The middle kinda felt like Gears of War. Then the end suddenly became At The Mountains Of Madness and it was really cool!

I started really enjoying the last few chapters and I wish that more of the game had been like that, and not like cyberpunk GTA or Gears in the snow.

Stitch

Stitch

OK, so I've now finished DS3: Awakened. HOLY SHIT! WHAY WASNT THE MAIN GAME LIKE THAT???

If they'd cut out the bits that didn't feel like Dead Space, kept the cosmic horror aspect, and added more bits like the post game DLC it would have been a way better game!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Meh, the giant moon things to me are what felt the most contrived and off in DS.  They just felt like a tacked on, well, we gotta have a final boss type of deal to me. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The Brethren Moons rule.

Stitch

Stitch

The brethren moons are what give it a cosmic horror vibe

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The whole thing felt off to me.  It reeked of end game boss fight trope, with the markers falling from the skies, and all that craziness.

I did like going through the last bit with the big infected ancient aliens, but the actual boss moons, nah bruh. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The boss fight's dumb, the actual concept though, I really really like.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yall can like what you like.  I'm not saying yalls taste is wrong, just that I personally didn't care for it.  You do you. 

tralaritralara

tralaritralara

I think dead space 3 was a great game with a great atmosphere once more, and where the what "convergence" means was solved in a satisfactory way imho.

What I don't get is why a ds remake. The classic doesn't need any remake at all.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think having the opportunity to do DS on new shiny consoles after the success of the REMAKES (of various titles now) is probably the driving factor.  Without the other remakes I doubt it happens.  But I know that at the time the creators didn't get to do all they wanted with the PS3 era tech for the game.  So if this is their take on a more correct vision, then I'm all for it. 

It isnt like the original is going away either.

With all the mindscape/hallucination themed story of DS I'm wondering if they might try to go the way of the FF7R.  Make a game that is both a remake AND a sequel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed