Pathogen - New Campaign

Started by Kailem, Jun 10, 2022, 04:04:49 PM

Author
Pathogen - New Campaign (Read 37,044 times)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Normally I would agree, but the mutation angle, I can kind of dig that. Shows they are not meant to be what they are.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

The symmetry detail/rule is not something I had taken into account before somehow tbh, but that's very true. I can see where you're coming from.

I also took it as a sort of mutation/abomination angle, so it didn't really bother me either.
I think the pathogen queen still has a lot of elegance to it's overall design as well.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Just had another run-through with 2 friends all wearing lab coats.
The Neomorph hive was the best level.
Still have to collect all the intel.

Would have liked to explore the shack mentioned in Aliens: Infiltrator though, or see a live Engineer.
The game hinted that the next DLC could be about Weyland-Yutani trying to take back the planet.
Also would make sense to have a mission on the Endeavor.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I think we should stop calling these of Neomorphs tbh, they aren't Neos, they are mutated Xenos that resemble Neos

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I will be collecting the intel when I have time, hopefully in it somewhere exists an explanation for how the Xenomorph XX121 can even be infected in the first place this time.

Here's a lovely deep dive though:
https://www.aliensfireteamelite.com/en/community/pathogen-deep-dive-an-exhilarating-new-story

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Might be a more volative variant of the black goo, as a result of the experimenting

Wweyland

Wweyland

The new weapons could use a little variety, they are all very similar.
I mean, how about a shoulder-mounted SADAR or a mountable machine gun?

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Just watched a whole playthrough and all the new Intel on YouTube. I'm not sure I'm gonna get this new DLC. I'm happy there's a real bossfight now finally, some of the implied lore in the Intel about the engineers could be cool, but most of it is a mess.
the Mutated xenos look ugly and not in a good way. They're too fleshy and rubbery. They don't look as bony as the Neos, don't look as creepy as the creatures in Prometheus and Carlos Huante's artwork. The designs are meh... Giving these creatures badly designed clubs for arms seems like blasphemy to me IMO.

We finally have our first cutscene which is nice but short lived and not super effective. They wanted to see what was making all of these mutations. When you see the Intel, you'll know it wasn't the mutant Queen. Was it really just that little pool at the end?

So pathogen xenos and other creatures work together cause of the pathogen? That's what they say in the game. But aren't xenos part of the pathogen already? Be it by David's perfecting or that the pathogen is derived from the true ancient xenos, a connection is there. So why don't they like the pathogen creatures then if they all should get along?

Don't get me started on the intel about the Crusher...
Spoiler
Why do they say that this crusher variant is native to this planet? Do they imply it comes from the specific wildlife? They say that other types from elsewhere have been seen to come from animals of thicker hides. Is that a joke or a nod to the Kenner rhino alien? Still, implying that means they didn't think that the Crusher is a next stage praetorian runner. Very confusing writing.
[close]

I'm really not liking the writing here, less and less with every new expansion of theirs. They try to make it out like the new creatures are so much cooler and stronger that regular xenos. Let's ignore the fact that aliens maybe shouldn't even be able to get infected since they already are part pathogen, but the implication that by just adding more pathogen you get better and stronger xenos makes me sick.  Especially when they don't look more biomechanical or more Giger inspired (that's the only "upgrade" of the original I'd consider accepting), they look like discount Neomorphs and generic fleshy white mutants.

I mean, the game mechanics are fun, and I'm sure this DLC would be too, even though most of those mechanics make zero sense in the Alien EU. I do have a blast playing the game, but it really makes me sad to se how the lore is being treated, like it's being made up along the way.

P. S. those Neo looking spore pods are there, but not black like they should be, and our marines can breath all that stuff in without masks, no problem...
And the intel about the new brute:
Spoiler
loosing the tail because it can't climb anymore? The Crusher can't climb walls but still has a tail. And the argument of the tail being a counterbalance for climbing walls makes no sense, that's not how counterbalances work... That's for running or swimming, a tail makes climbing even more difficult normally, not easier...
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah lore wise the Crusher stuff makes absolutely no sense, it is clearly in design language the Praetorian equivalent to a Runner/Drone, with the Prowler/Warrior acting as an intermediary stage. I'm going to try and get an answer on their Discord Server.

Like you have said a tail works as a counterbalance for walking or running not climbing, so that intel makes no sense, if the Brute lost the tail because of the mass being used up in the clubs, that might actually make some sense, as something passed on from the Pathogen Queen, being that it is an asymmetrical design and the club looks like unintended inflammation.

I agree I do not feel enough explanation exists for how the Aliens got infected in the first place by the Pathogen, being that in other recent lore they are shown to be immune to it.

An Addition:
They are now claiming that they had no communication with Alien The RPG or other projects, in terms of maintaining any consistency, I find this difficult to believe.

As I wrote in a reply:
Spoiler
I find that very difficult to believe that, I'm sorry, but the crossover's beyond a symbiotic relationship as far as the Alien fandom's concerned.

Just literally every conversation with anything concerning the military history with any character on the Endeavor. Being identical to stuff in Alien The RPG? That has never appeared elsewhere in the EU? And Alien The RPG released before Fireteam Elite.
[close]

Another Addition:
According to the writer, a reason does exist for the Pathogen being able to infect them, they just are not allowed to spoil it just yet.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Guys, you put too much fate in the concept of "Canon".

It doesn't exist.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It's not canon I care about, it's confusing the consumer, and that this does.

I just prefer Alex White's take, and Alien The RPG, and I'm voicing I wish this was closer to that.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

They aren't Neos tho, that's the thing, those are the result of an entire hive being mutated by the pathogen, these are Xenomorphs that were mutated, not creatures born out of infected Xenos or humans, the same rules don't apply, this is meant to be it's own isolated little incident

As for the canon thing, I think they choose to reference it, but not go after any of the writer's input

The canon here, at least for this game, was always meant to be flexible and be it's own little thing that isn't meant to factor what is or not canon
QuoteWe're huge fans of the universe and certainly drew inspiration from across lore, but no - Aliens: Fireteam is an entirely original experience and isn't a direct sequel to any one film or game.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 01, 2022, 03:58:55 PMYeah lore wise the Crusher stuff makes absolutely no sense, it is clearly in design language the Praetorian equivalent to a Runner/Drone, with the Prowler/Warrior acting as an intermediary stage. I'm going to try and get an answer on their Discord Server.

Like you have said a tail works as a counterbalance for walking or running not climbing, so that intel makes no sense, if the Brute lost the tail because of the mass being used up in the clubs, that might actually make some sense, as something passed on from the Pathogen Queen, being that it is an asymmetrical design and the club looks like unintended inflammation.

I agree I do not feel enough explanation exists for how the Aliens got infected in the first place by the Pathogen, being that in other recent lore they are shown to be immune to it.

An Addition:
They are now claiming that they had no communication with Alien The RPG or other projects, in terms of maintaining any consistency, I find this difficult to believe.

As I wrote in a reply:
Spoiler
I find that very difficult to believe that, I'm sorry, but the crossover's beyond a symbiotic relationship as far as the Alien fandom's concerned.

Just literally every conversation with anything concerning the military history with any character on the Endeavor. Being identical to stuff in Alien The RPG? That has never appeared elsewhere in the EU? And Alien The RPG released before Fireteam Elite.
[close]

Another Addition:
According to the writer, a reason does exist for the Pathogen being able to infect them, they just are not allowed to spoil it just yet.

Yeah, they're clearly not trying to make things go smoothly with the RPG as far the Alien lifecycle is concerned, and that's the most important part. The info on the weapons is very nice and lovely for the most part, but is of less weight than what they do with the creatures. They obviously had access to the RPG, they said long ago they used the book as their Bible, and now it seems they're ignoring it for their own stuff which doesn't make sense or add anything meaningful.

I get the connection between the Brutes and the mutant Queen's hand, but at the same time things get weird. She can't reproduce, so either she infected the Aliens with her spores or goo in some non Neomorph creating way, or all of the pathogen xenos had similar mutations for some reason.

With how they did the Crusher, I have doubts they'll have a satisfying reason for why the pathogen can infect Aliens. Whatever convoluted reason they give one day, the fact stays. They are ugly, fleshy and look less armored, don't have the elegance of the Neomorph in most of the designs yet are depicted as so much stronger than those beloved silly original Aliens...

Why couldn't they just use the original Neomorph? Why did they have to make things so convoluted? Oh right, they wanted bigger, scarier xenos, so they literally went with the logic of creating the ugly Newborn in A:R.
That's why I don't like seeing the pathogen too much, cause writers get "itchy" fingers and start writing it as a "it can do whatever I want" kinda mutation virus thing. No thought goes into the rules, or the logic behind it that grounds those fantastical elements. 

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 01, 2022, 06:34:08 PMIt's not canon I care about, it's confusing the consumer, and that this does.

I just prefer Alex White's take, and Alien The RPG, and I'm voicing I wish this was closer to that.

This.

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 01, 2022, 06:55:06 PMThey aren't Neos tho, that's the thing, those are the result of an entire hive being mutated by the pathogen, these are Xenomorphs that were mutated, not creatures born out of infected Xenos or humans, the same rules don't apply, this is meant to be it's own isolated little incident

As for the canon thing, I think they choose to reference it, but not go after any of the writer's input

We know, we're just confused should that even be possible since other recent media contradicted it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Hopefully they can turn that around.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

My personal headcanon is that the Hive was started by one of the mutated Xenos from the lab, making the following brood vulnerable to Pathogen mutations

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed