[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,116 times)

ace3g

ace3g

BigDaddyJohn

MudButt

Mr.Turok

Quote from: ace3g on Mar 16, 2021, 01:19:34 AM
Quite a thread here

https://twitter.com/DannyParty/status/1371576811394588675

I was right about the historical era! I mentioned that the Comanche weren't even a thing until the Colonial period, which ironically to the synopsis given to us, the Comanche formed when Europeans started to dip their toes into the Americas. Especially the Comanches made their brand as full on warriors thanks in huge part of the horses that were given by European trade via the Spanish Empire. Horses helped them take swathes of land, enabled them to preform better in both hunting and warfare.

So what gives? Is the synopsis going to be updated? Is Hollywood yet again going to mess up on native representation and history as they infamously known for?  Is the script actually different than what the synopsis is supposed to be? Oh man, I wanna read it now.

MudButt

Quick let's all judge and hate the movie before it comes out!!!!

goose_3387

Quite a thread here

Sorry for my ignorance but I know very little to nothing of Native American history. There is part of the problem as they could present anything to me on screen and I wouldn't know any different.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

So Kyle Strauts seemed to lobby a bit to participate in Dan Trachtenberg's Skulls back in November, so perhaps, just perhaps, Kyle liking this tweet means we found at least one of our Predators?

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: goose_3387 on Mar 16, 2021, 08:22:15 AM
Quite a thread here

Sorry for my ignorance but I know very little to nothing of Native American history. There is part of the problem as they could present anything to me on screen and I wouldn't know any different.

Like most people, don't worry.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: goose_3387 on Mar 16, 2021, 08:22:15 AM
Quite a thread here

Yeah, its all good there bro! Its why, despite the snide comment Mudbutt hinted at "judge and hate", its is important to have criticisms of the film if it incorrectly represents native american culture as a monolith instead of a proper historical piece as the film claimed to do. Its a great disservice for people who have no idea of the different types of native american culture and see this film, the misinformation can be harmful to the overall stereotype that native tribes face today. Its no surprise that native americans in general get the lowest end of the stick in various things in the United States, from history, politics, and media with Hollywood havin a history of portraying them in very outdated and even crude manners. Which is why if a person of Comanche background has some concerns about the film with the current info we have, it makes sense that he is worried of another handwaved native film that does very little in representation and belittling of their history. Like the guy mentioned in his tweets, Hollywood has the ability to contact a Comanche director and advisors that can give some great inputs for the film that can strengthen its quality. Currently, we the info we have right now, it is unknown that if they do have a strong hand on things or not so its no surprise some people might have something to say on the matter.

BigDaddyJohn

What about focusing on having a good movie first and foremost ? Isn't that the priority ? Serious question.

ace3g

Director's Guild of Canada website has been updated with production info on Skulls

https://www.dgc.ca/assets/Uploads/ProductionList-03162021.pdf

Master

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 16, 2021, 06:41:27 PM
What about focusing on having a good movie first and foremost ? Isn't that the priority ? Serious question.

I'm with you with all my heart.

SuperiorIronman

Historically the film industry gives Native Americans a bad look. It can be well meaning but it doesn't always work on account of the fact that they're working with a culture most Americans (and frankly everybody else) have a superficial knowledge of largely on account of said industry as well as most Americans not being taught Native history beyond the establishment of the United States. It also doesn't help that a lot of that culture just doesn't exist anymore on account of the Americans simply being here. It's always going to be a touchy subject be it that things don't hold up under scrutiny or that it's simply Hollywood doing it in the first place. It really is that lacking and most Americans just can't tell you anything beyond Hollywood since they have no reason to learn it beyond deeper studies typically on their own. We can only hope the cultural advisor is up to the job.

It will be about as accurate to reality as the Alien Prequels dabbling in creationism. The best thing they could've done is not do it at all but at the end of the day the product needs to speak for itself and will be largely how its judged. Outside something like Renegade Cut I just don't see this film being judged on the depiction of Native Americans unless its genuinely egregious and even then it's not meant be 1:1 with reality.

Good movie comes first.

[cancerblack]

Mr.Turok

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 16, 2021, 06:41:27 PM

We can have a good quality movie AND not make an ass out of Native American culture of which is the subject of said movie, but I guess its too much to ask?

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 16, 2021, 07:30:23 PM
Historically the film industry gives Native Americans a bad look. It can be well meaning but it doesn't always work on account of the fact that they're working with a culture most Americans (and frankly everybody else) have a superficial knowledge of largely on account of said industry as well as most Americans not being taught Native history beyond the establishment of the United States. It also doesn't help that a lot of that culture just doesn't exist anymore on account of the Americans simply being here. It's always going to be a touchy subject be it that things don't hold up under scrutiny or that it's simply Hollywood doing it in the first place. It really is that lacking and most Americans just can't tell you anything beyond Hollywood since they have no reason to learn it beyond deeper studies typically on their own. We can only hope the cultural advisor is up to the job.

Yeah, I mean thats why I would strongly urge for cultural advisors to help with the film. If you are going to portray a group of people for a film or other media, make sure to do plenty of research to help develop the story so that you don't come out as tone deaf of said people you are using for the project.  I mean look no further with The Predator on their dumb take on kids with autism......

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 16, 2021, 07:30:23 PM
It will be about as accurate to reality as the Alien Prequels dabbling in creationism. The best thing they could've done is not do it at all but at the end of the day the product needs to speak for itself and will be largely how its judged. Outside something like Renegade Cut I just don't see this film being judged on the depiction of Native Americans unless its genuinely egregious and even then it's not meant be 1:1 with reality.

Good movie comes first.

Well yeah, films will never be a 1:1 with reality, I mean look at videogames with the Assassin's Creed series where they use history and scifi together.

Assassin's Creed 3 had a Mohawk protagonist named Ratonhnhaké:ton that has interactions with his tribe and the 13 colonies that respectfully portray him and his people in a well positive represented light while telling of a fictional sc-fi conspiracy theory of two organizations fighting over peace through freedom vs control that spanned since the fall of Egypt during Roman times and humanity was also created by a slave race by a precursor race, which is taking behind the scenes during the American Revolution.

Additionally, as @DannyParty mentioned on twitter, if they did proper research, they could miss out on possibilities on enhancing the film's quality like having epic horseback fights chasing down a Predator through the trees seeing to how they had access to horses when the Europeans started to move in or seeing that the tribe is known for adopting other people, one can having a tie in with Dutch by having an ancestor coming across a Predator, perhaps an aid to Kee with her battle? Pull a Tremors where you had the actor of Burt Gummer be his own ancestor of a prequal film during the 19th century when he faced the big worms before his descendent did.

So, your take is just  ??? Great representation will never subtract from a great film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed