[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 97,118 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Yep that is one of the cut emissaries, but we saw it in action with BTS stuff, and it was meh.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Mar 14, 2021, 07:33:30 PM
Y'all are spot on. "It was the Director's choice" or "People have different mouths, why can't Predators" just comes off like the carpenter blaming his tools. Hard to compare Predator to other franchises but if the Stormtrooper's look was off or Vaders helmet didn't fit correctly, the fans wouldn't or shouldn't be up in arms?

Look at that Sonic debacle, didn't the fans actually get the studio to fix the face?

Funny that with Star Wars, they did loose their shit over it.

The Mandalorian has two examples of this with the Scout trooper's knee pads being upside down and the Stormtroopers themselves being a mismatch of Anovos and Rogue One parts. The Mandalorian Stormtroopers are also missing parts or are broken in places like the Solo troopers and while they wrote it off for the series (kind of like the Resurrection Alien) they really did just break suits beyond repair or lost parts and replaced it with off the shelf pieces.The Jedha Sandtroopers also lacking the details of the OT Sandtroopers and you wouldn't believe the shit show when people saw the symmetrical Stormtrooper and lost it at Disney over that. Even in animated form like with Crabators here, the Rebels and Resistance Stormtrooper helmets have been likened to a dog snout. The ROTJ suits would get inserted into the OT with the special edition and once again had problems given that the ROTJ suits look warped compared to the ANH version because they are.

In terms of Vader the helmet didn't fit correctly and looked kind of bad flopping about in the wind in ESB. Of course they removed or made the eyes not as prominent a red for later entries and when brought back for Rogue One that of course blew up since nobody was in agreement on what lens color Vader's eyes are or even if the helmet in ROTS should've been symmetrical. Its the Star Wars communities own skull or no skull. And yeah people do get into arguments on if the tunic goes under or over the chest piece let alone what even the lightsaber and chestbox look like.

The First Order Stormtroopers (including Phasma) got a facelift for TLJ and TROS since they used the same suit for the Stormtroopers). That was litterally because TFA version was dubbed something akin to "frog mouth" and Rian Johnson didn't think it looked intimidating enough so the teeth came back for that.

People come into the franchise at different points and different ways and since no two suits had been alike between films and only superficially similar you have people with different ideas on what a Stormtrooper or even Darth Vader look like. Much like with Alien or Predator as even an idealized version still gets rejected by people. There is no perfect Darth Vader or Stormtrooper.

Lost_Hunter

Nice lesson, that makes sense. I'm gonna be looking for those details next time I watch a Star War. The fans always know.

Kradan

Look at that Sonic debacle, didn't the fans actually get the studio to fix the face?

One can argue that the whole "Sonic design" issue was carefully orchestrated by the studio to generate more hype for the movie

Master

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 14, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
Yep that is one of the cut emissaries, but we saw it in action with BTS stuff, and it was meh.

I'm aware, but those sculpts ( this and other emissary) are waaaay better then shooting suits we've seen, that's why I posted it ;)

The Shuriken

Ya know in all honestly I couldn't possibly care less about Predators all "looking the same". Because....well the first two look superb. I'd be fine with it.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 14, 2021, 10:00:21 AM
I think it has already been solved, they even talked about it in an interview done by avp galaxy IIRC. They said it was THEIR personal choice, thus there's nothing left to understand. I know to many people (inculding me) it looks cheaper than previous designs etc, but not to them apparently.

Hey, if that's what THEY like what can we do ? Unless their taste changes, we're likely to continue with what we got in terms of "artistic choice" regarding the mouth.

Simple, create a huge fuss about it. That's what the Jurassic World fans did when there wasn't enough animatronics in the first film, which we all know its one of the big reasons the series is famous for, great dinosaur animatronics. The second one provided more and its confirmed that the newest one has a lot more that will please the fans (hopefully they do). One can also look at Sonic for the reworked version on his model. 

The difficult part of this is that Skulls is supposed to be a stealth Predator film so how can we bring this to their attention without bringing the film itself to the attention of the general audience who like Predator or even a good action film but not aware about what we know about the film's true story.

My thoughts on their "answer", honestly though, if its pride and ego stopping the improvement, they have to understand you can have different types of Predators looking different but the mandibles of Predators is the inherit structure that cannot change drastically. Its like how us humans have under or overbites, small or large chins but in the end the bones will always be placed and look the way its supposed to be. Everything else, like the more increased muscle mass in AVP, the high tech look Fugitive in The Predator, and the sleeker rugged look of Wolf in AVPR is individualistic and up for scrutiny as like us humans. I mean Predator Hunting Grounds shown you got athletic slim like a swimmer, a balance of speed and strength like a MMA fighter, and very muscular like a wrestler.

ADI has the talent, just put a little more energy on the mandibles and they can have something amazing.

Stitch

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 14, 2021, 10:24:49 PM

One can argue that the whole "Sonic design" issue was carefully orchestrated by the studio to generate more hype for the movie
One could. I don't *think* it was, though, since it delayed the movie by six months.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 15, 2021, 01:05:12 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 14, 2021, 10:24:49 PM

One could. I don't *think* it was, though, since it delayed the movie by six months.

Yeah, for me, that is a bit too much of a high risk marketing plan with plenty of downside to become a theory I could personally subscribe to.  :)

ace3g

OT but also related:

So I was (still am) watching Avengers: Endgame on Disney+ and thought it would be cool if Alan Silvestri was hired as the composer for Predator 5.  I went to his IMDb page to see what kind of stuff he has done post Avengers and this caught my attention - Warrior: Predator (Short) -- 2019.  Now before I posted this - I searched the fan film section with no results, so hopefully I didn't miss anything.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11454100/?ref_=ttmi_tt

Now check out the synopsis for the fan film:

QuoteA 16th century Native American warrior is forced to fight for her life against sister Predators. Will this fierce warrior survive? Or will she become another trophy for the deadly hunters?

Now check out the poster for the film:

Now check out the short film:

Article with interview with director Chris R. Notarile:

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/315893/video-fierce-females-face-off-in-fan-film-warrior-predator/

Rudiger

I predict a scene where the heroine is surrounded by a troop of dastardly US Cavalry, only to be rescued from certain death by the arrival of a Predator.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Rudiger on Mar 15, 2021, 09:28:50 AM
I predict a scene where the heroine is surrounded by a troop of dastardly US Cavalry, only to be rescued from certain death by the arrival of a Predator.

It's supposed to be set before european colonization, but like I said earlier, they will possibly change that. Maybe a safer bet for the studio. I'm all for the full native version though.

Voodoo Magic

I don't know, I keep seeing 2021 materials that underline the point Skulls takes place in a "pre-reservation time", so this late in the game, unless it's some sort of strange red herring, I think it's safe to believe there will be no European colonists.

Quote from: ace3g on Mar 15, 2021, 06:44:11 AM
OT but also related:

So I was (still am) watching Avengers: Endgame on Disney+ and thought it would be cool if Alan Silvestri was hired as the composer for Predator 5.  I went to his IMDb page to see what kind of stuff he has done post Avengers and this caught my attention - Warrior: Predator (Short) -- 2019.  Now before I posted this - I searched the fan film section with no results, so hopefully I didn't miss anything.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11454100/?ref_=ttmi_tt

Now check out the synopsis for the fan film:

QuoteA 16th century Native American warrior is forced to fight for her life against sister Predators. Will this fierce warrior survive? Or will she become another trophy for the deadly hunters?

Now check out the poster for the film:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BODFlZDQ0MjctMTQxNS00MDcwLTkwZmMtMGM0YzdhZDQ1NGNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTg1MTc3MQ@@._V1_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BM2Y2MTUxZjEtY2UzNS00M2FhLWI3ZjEtZmQzNmYyNDIyMzkyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg

Now check out the short film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZBh2BW9CMs

Article with interview with director Chris R. Notarile:

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/315893/video-fierce-females-face-off-in-fan-film-warrior-predator/

Crazy coincidence!

LSL

Holy shit, I really hate these short films, movies, comics or whatever that shows Predators as physically weak as humans. This is so stupid. Predators are much stronger and more resilient. See Predator 2, where he was hit by several shotguns and remained alive and fighting. Then they decide to create these crap where Predators are killed with a stab or a single shot. In this "Warrior Predator" the protagonist even holds the arm of the Predator in the greatest ease. Oh God. When will I see a new work where this character is properly respected?

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: LSL on Mar 15, 2021, 04:40:47 PM
Holy shit, I really hate these short films, movies, comics or whatever that shows Predators as physically weak as humans. This is so stupid. Predators are much stronger and more resilient. See Predator 2, where he was hit by several shotguns and remained alive and fighting. Then they decide to create these crap where Predators are killed with a stab or a single shot. In this "Warrior Predator" the protagonist even holds the arm of the Predator in the greatest ease. Oh God. When will I see a new work where this character is properly respected?

They should not be as weak as Humans or as tactically inept. Fire and Stone irritates me for that reason as the Predators have a habit of jumping into gunfire. Though in context to Predator 2, City Hunter did need medical attention afterwards even if he could get up from it. 

Though we have three examples of a Human beating a Predator in a knife fight. Harrigan took a one armed City Hunter and got him by surprise, Falconer died in the dual, and Berserker got the Hell beaten out of him. It's possible to do but every time it happens the Predator has a handicap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed