Comparison Video: Various Ports of Alien 3

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 07, 2020, 09:09:51 AM

Author
Comparison Video: Various Ports of Alien 3 (Read 5,263 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Whiskeybrewer

I'd Forgotten there were so many different versions

Local Trouble

I loved the SNES version.  Genesis version was pretty good to, despite the wonky controls.

razeak

I finished Alien 3 on a SNES a few years back. The last area was ridiculously hard.

Corporal Hicks

It seems like the SNES version was the superior gameplay wise, but I still think the Mega Drive version looks better.

Whiskeybrewer

Found another version with two more ports

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 08, 2020, 07:22:04 AM
It seems like the SNES version was the superior gameplay wise, but I still think the Mega Drive version looks better.

Actually retro review pundits say ALIEN 3 Sega was the superior game, while the Snes was bloated and hampered by endless respawning enemies and side missions.

That said I recall Sega Power Magazine stating Alien 3 was "run-of-the-mill platformer" on launch, while mean machines gave it 89%

https://www.outofprintarchive.com/articles/reviews/MegaDrive/Alien3-MeanMachines24-2.html

Amazing that Alien 3 Sega is held in the same regard as Aladdin on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.

judge death

YAy for the second video, as the game boy version of Alien 3 is easily the best of them all, maybe not graphics but contrary to snes and mega drive which were quite dull run and gun games with little story and lived more on graphics: the game boy is a true survival horror game that has a good easy story, cut scenes and exploring to do, and tons of details like: if all prisoners are killed by the aliens, you dont have any reserve lives, as no one can save you if you die. Then it also has some good action in it, and you have to figure out stuff to be able to beat the game.
Very underrated game, probably the first horror survival game.

Kradan

Aesthetically, Mega Drive version is the most pleasent one.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 08, 2020, 06:47:12 PM
Actually retro review pundits say ALIEN 3 Sega was the superior game, while the Snes was bloated and hampered by endless respawning enemies and side missions.

I've only ever played the Mega Drive version myself, just seemed from what I've read that the SNES one had some variety in terms of objectives.

Quote from: judge death on May 08, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
YAy for the second video, as the game boy version of Alien 3 is easily the best of them all, maybe not graphics but contrary to snes and mega drive which were quite dull run and gun games with little story and lived more on graphics: the game boy is a true survival horror game that has a good easy story, cut scenes and exploring to do, and tons of details like: if all prisoners are killed by the aliens, you dont have any reserve lives, as no one can save you if you die. Then it also has some good action in it, and you have to figure out stuff to be able to beat the game.
Very underrated game, probably the first horror survival game.

I've got the GB version but I could never figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing in it!

Quote from: Kradan on May 08, 2020, 09:12:30 PM

Aesthetically, Mega Drive version is the most pleasent one.

Agreed!

OpenMaw

Alien 3 on the SNES looks nice and sounds nice. The music in partiuclar.

However, the gameplay is really, really, slow. The jump feels like you're on the moon.

You have to do the same missions each level. Welding, killing eggs, rescuing certain prisoners, and then you have to go back to the terminal to complete said mission and get another one. It gets very repetitive.If the game moved at the pace of Super Metroid, I think it would be much  better.

The Genesis version honestly plays much better.

Any version, though, is hard as ballzzzz.

Though the SNES version does beat any other verison for one reason;

razeak

They are all decent games. I prefer the SNES graphics, but Genesis played a little better.

I own complete copies for NES, SNES, Genesis, and 2 versions of the Game Gear version. The grid pattern box (NTSC) for Game Gear is at least uncommon if not rare.

Local Trouble

The weird thing about the SNES version is that the flamethrower was the primary weapon and the pulse rifle was virtually useless against higher-tier aliens.  The Genesis, on the other hand, had a lousy flamethrower with pathetic range and an upward arc that made it hard to hit anything while standing.

seattle24

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 08, 2020, 06:47:12 PM

That said I recall Sega Power Magazine stating Alien 3 was "run-of-the-mill platformer" on launch, while mean machines gave it 89%

https://www.outofprintarchive.com/articles/reviews/MegaDrive/Alien3-MeanMachines24-2.html

Amazing that Alien 3 Sega is held in the same regard as Aladdin on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.

What a great website that is! Use to love old-skool gaming magazines.

judge death

Spoke to the game director of alien 3 on game boy, quite nice guy and he still holds the game highly, but then again im bias to the game so we two might have hyped it up a bit in the converstations, and he is satisfied with how the game came out and is held as one of the first survival horror games and where he got ideas and inspiriation for the game.

At long last I found out what the knife is for in the game. xD

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed