[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 96,627 times)

BlueMarsalis79

With practical it is all in the way the design and animatronics interface with each other.

ADI's often only demonstrated the ability to do one or the other.

Fugitive's initial sculpt looks absolutely superb, and ADI's animatronics can certainly do a lot, but when they came together it looked awful.

Not much point in functionality if you warp the design in the process of giving it that functionality, in my opinion anyway, I'd rather have something more aesthetically pleasing that's more stiff as a viewer than the other way around although neither's obviously ideal.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 19, 2021, 01:35:59 PM
With practical it is all in the way the design and animatronics interface with each other.

Fugitive's initial sculpt looks absolutely superb, and ADI's animatronics can certainly do a lot, but when they came together it looked awful.

Not much point in functionality if you warp the design in the process of giving it that functionality, in my opinion anyway, I'd rather have something more aesthetically pleasing that's more stiff as a viewer than the other way around although neither's obviously ideal.

Well said.

SiL, I'll bring up that you yourself have found fault with the animatronics of the City Hunter as sometimes stiff and twitchy, but an overwhelming majority of fans would sign up for another stiff twitchy design like the City Hunter versus another ADI creation in a heartbeat!  Oh hellz yeah!!   ;D

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 19, 2021, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 19, 2021, 01:35:59 PM

Well said.

SiL, I'll bring up that you yourself have found fault with the animatronics of the City Hunter as sometimes stiff and twitchy, but an overwhelming majority of fans would sign up for another stiff twitchy design like the City Hunter versus another ADI creation in a heartbeat!  Oh hellz yeah!!   ;D

https://i.ibb.co/5rrz3w6/tumblr-pcqw77jdsy1x5540co2-500-1.gif

I would also point out that getting twitchy is a body language that us humans display usually as a sign of great stress, either nervousness or great anger, for example. In this case City Hunter is livid about eating a few shotgun rounds to the chest so I just interpreted that twitchy mandibles is a body language that Predators go through when getting into said rage. Also, bugs can move in a twitchy fashion as well, with either mandibles or legs of their own and since City Hunter has them mandibles that is reminiscent to insects limbs, it also makes sense to the design.

426Buddy

No doubt that the quality of the animatronics don't matter much when it doesn't look good or convincing. The "lesser" animatronics in the city hunter aren't a problem because it still looks better visually than anything that has been made since.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 19, 2021, 01:50:18 PM
[

https://i.ibb.co/5rrz3w6/tumblr-pcqw77jdsy1x5540co2-500-1.gif
Good for them?

Something well designed that doesn't move well isn't any improvement over something that's not designed well but moves great as far as I'm concerned. It's just trading one sub part result for another. They need to work together or the end result is the same - an awkward, unconvincing creature.

Voodoo Magic

A. Twitchy mandible.

B. Awkward rolls and folds in skin.

A. Wins out every time.

Not trying to change your mind, but you're on an AvP Requiem minority island on this one. Otherwise the masses of Predator fans would be complaining just as much about the City Hunter animatronics as Scar's mandible skin. :)

BigDaddyJohn

I agree that sometimes city hunter looks somewhat unconvincing (in the "less convincing than jungle hunter" way mostly), but that's the case in very few shots. Most of the time he looks good.

That's not the case about Scar or Fugitive. They most of the time look meh or really bad.

The whole difference is here. Better to look sometimes awkward than most of the time awkward. Almost every fan at this point would take that in a heartbeat.

BlueMarsalis79

SiL

I never claimed or intimated I was talking for anyone else. If I'm alone in my assessment that's perfectly fine.

P2 was the first of any of the Alien or Predator movies I saw and I always thought the unmasked face looked cheap because of its movement. Others disagree. That's fine too.

On a semi related note i also think SWS warrior Alien faces were stiff and clunky compared to the original too, while I'm digging a hole for myself.

BlueMarsalis79

I'll take the heat off you, the Warriors look fake, and it is an inferior design in general. 😝

Lost_Hunter

Lost_Hunter

Still miles better than anything from ADI. I do like the Dog, Runner. Just wasn't shot in an interesting way like Aliens.

SiL

That's the first time I've heard someone say there were no interesting shots of the Runner :o

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah that's just fundamentally not correct, even if you loathe everything to do with that film with all your being, it's got one of the most iconic shots in the franchise for a reason.

RidgeTop

SiL

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed