[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,069 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I would love something like this, it could be great !

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr.Turok on May 17, 2021, 12:55:00 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 16, 2021, 06:50:42 PM
Can you imagine this being like Prometheus? A movie called Skulls that is mostly about a Comanche ritual passage, which involves hunting a cryptid creature, until the Predator appears late in the plot. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'd be curious about the reactions of casual viewers.  :laugh:

There is a part of me that knows it would most likely fail if done this route but also I would say if Sasquatch was introduced in a manner like in the film Primal Rage (2018) where its just as dangerous as the Predator itself, it could be entertaining enough to let it slide. I mean Godzilla vs Kong had its writing issues when you see it twice but goddamm was it just a great pretty film of big monkey punch big lizard. Especially seeing how people demanded more Monsterverse, studio and writers are happy with the positive feedback. So if done right, big forest monke vs big space alien hunter can be epic.  Here is a scene from the film to get how brutal the interpretation of Sasquatch is and how it could a good fight for the Predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gK9wxWjTnM&t=2s

That Sasquatch just smashed the head of that dude like a pumpkin!! 🎃⁉ :o I gues I've a craving to see a live-action fight between a Predator vs. another monster. When was the last time we saw that? AVPs? Predators & The Predator don't count because it's basically Predator vs. Predator.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Does Gary Busey count as a monster?

;D

SuperiorIronman

It is weird that for an alien planet, none of the Predators in the third film ever encounter the River ghost. I mean sure we know they encounter other things but yeah no one ever fights another alien in these movies outside the crossover.

Just as an aside I'd be interested in a return to the game preserve that had an alien on the team or even Hunting Grounds doing it.

BigDaddyJohn

It could be interesting if the alien planet actually feels and look like an alien planet.

ace3g

When fans with limited resources can make these, no excuse for film studios.

SiL

SiL

It's a reasonably mass produced mask that doesn't need to perform, doesn't need to fit an actor, doesn't need to stand up to the rigors of filmmaking, and wasn't designed by committee.

It's a really nice reproduction, but says nothing about what a film should or shouldn't be able to do  :-\

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 18, 2021, 09:15:11 AM
That Sasquatch just smashed the head of that dude like a pumpkin!! 🎃⁉ :o I gues I've a craving to see a live-action fight between a Predator vs. another monster. When was the last time we saw that? AVPs? Predators & The Predator don't count because it's basically Predator vs. Predator.  :laugh:

Yeah its horror and gore department did not hold punches in this film  :laugh: . It would be a nice visual and reminder that the Predator also hunts other creatures besides humans. We only caught a glimpse of that in Predator 2 with those alien skulls, but would be a great refresher to see a Predator hunt another being, be it a bear or Sasquatch itself.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 18, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
It could be interesting if the alien planet actually feels and look like an alien planet.

Thats one of the biggest downers of Predators. We know its an alien hunting planet as its part of the synopsis, right? So the surprise in the film to the characters is that they didn't know this and the big reveal of the alien sky freaks them out. However to us it is pointless as we already know where they at, therefore the entire scene has its suspense decreased. Instead, the film should have made it already an alien place to be with the surprise and suspense is encountering the hostile alien terrain and various alien life that the Predators seeded to hunt, in conjunction of the Super Predators themselves. Like an alien version of Skull Island from King Kong/Kong Skull Island, where everything is dangerous and the Super Predators are large and in charge here.

Yeah the film was on a budget and Fox didn't want to take risks.....oh man. Or am I missing a detail and perhaps Fox would have agreed to fund more if Rodriguez actually pushed for a more alien route like how I described?

SiL

They would not have given them more money to do a more alien planet, no.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ace3g on May 19, 2021, 01:36:28 AM
When fans with limited resources can make these, no excuse for film studios.

https://cdn2.dumpor.com/view?q=%3D%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

I feel ya brother! I also love these low budget fan suits that have working mandibles. They use their own jaws to open and fully close their mouths, and the skin has great elasticity. And did I mention they can actually close their mouths?  :D

Quote from: Mr.Turok on May 19, 2021, 02:46:13 AM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 18, 2021, 02:43:27 PM

Thats one of the biggest downers of Predators. We know its an alien hunting planet as its part of the synopsis, right? So the surprise in the film to the characters is that they didn't know this and the big reveal of the alien sky freaks them out. However to us it is pointless as we already know where they at, therefore the entire scene has its suspense decreased. Instead, the film should have made it already an alien place to be with the surprise and suspense is encountering the hostile alien terrain and various alien life that the Predators seeded to hunt, in conjunction of the Super Predators themselves. Like an alien version of Skull Island from King Kong/Kong Skull Island, where everything is dangerous and the Super Predators are large and in charge here.

Yeah the film was on a budget and Fox didn't want to take risks.....oh man. Or am I missing a detail and perhaps Fox would have agreed to fund more if Rodriguez actually pushed for a more alien route like how I described?

I truly believe with a bigger budget and better execution, Predators had the potential to be a science fiction great. #WhatCouldHaveBeen

BlueMarsalis79

I have witnessed cosplayers do stuff that puts studio created iterations to absolute shame, and quite a number of them put their stuff through all kinds of stress testing because they do not want their stuff to get ruined going up a flight of stairs or through water, or because of a convention with the heating on high.

Sometimes even making their stuff modular so they do not end up overheating underneath it all, and depending on the size sometimes they have a built in water cooler, or even a set of fans.

I'm not saying every single one's film quality in terms of standing up to that kind of consistent rigorous testing, but as we know, a lot actually do.

SiL

Those mouth operated mandibles would be great for stunt masks, to but not much else.

That's not even an insult, it's a brilliant idea for stunt suits where you can't risk the animatronics.

BlueMarsalis79

With a smidge more detail I'd still take them over ADI's last three at "professional animatronic" Predator attempts.

SiL

SiL

Scar had design problems but his animatronics were beautifully precise and detailed. These mouth mechanics lack any real ability to perform - they can only shift between two predefined states. They're neat, but they aren't anywhere near film ready.

Half of jungle Hunter's facial performance was his twitching temples and upper mandible. Subtle, organic movement. You can't get that out of these.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 19, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
I have witnessed cosplayers do stuff that puts studio created iterations to absolute shame, and quite a number of them put their stuff through all kinds of stress testing because they do not want their stuff to get ruined going up a flight of stairs or through water, or because of a convention with the heating on high.

Sometimes even making their stuff modular so they do not end up overheating underneath it all, and depending on the size sometimes they have a built in water cooler, or even a set of fans.

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/sandbox-gif-art-geek-4106260.gif

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/c3/c2/f2c3c21ec5216ea728ae4503d31f067c.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/17cac04d84b1e1d6d770c82fd15b7e87/tumblr_mzymiqrRpJ1s4ddyqo1_400.gif

I'm not saying every single one's film quality in terms of standing up to that kind of consistent rigorous testing, but as we know, a lot actually do.

https://cdn-blog.adafruit.com/uploads/2019/09/Alien3_shower-480.2019-09-26-17_50_51.gif

Nice post TQ!

The animatronics are not the problem. Stan Winston already clearly proved that.

This leads again to all these unnatural folds in skin or cockeyed mandibles that aren't part of the concept art or maquette, suits that cost thousands upon thousands to make, which were filmed on set in a controlled environment. It all points to the nice folks at ADI were clearly not up to the task.

In general I wonder if some of these old dogs of the industry also get stuck in their ways, without seeking out new technologies and finding ways to improve their craftsmanship.

It reminds me when Rogue One came out and messed Leia up so badly. I've wondered why technologies like face2face and deepfake technology come from academia and amateur developers versus someone the industry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed