Alien: Engineers Podcast - AvPGalaxy Podcast #33

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 29, 2016, 10:08:08 PM

Author
Alien: Engineers Podcast - AvPGalaxy Podcast #33 (Read 26,443 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded our Alien: Engineers Podcast, the 33rd episode of the AvPGalaxy Podcast. The 33rd episode is our episode that takes a look at the earlier incarnations of Prometheus from when it was a straight-up Alien prequel. We walk through the early script by Jon Spaihts and discuss it in detail.

Our 33rd episode is the Alien: Engineers podcast where we discuss the earlier Prometheus scripts by Jon Spaiht's. This concept art is of the Ultramorph from the end of the script.

Our 33rd episode is the Alien: Engineers podcast where we discuss the earlier Prometheus scripts by Jon Spaiht’s. This concept art is of the Ultramorph from the end of the script.

RidgeTop, Xenomorphine and I are joined by special community guest, HuDaFuk. Regulars to the forum will recognize his name but for those who might not read the message boards, you will most likely recognize his work from Xenopedia, the AvP Wikia, where HuDa is an administrator.

This episode is a longer one, running at just under 2 and a half hours in length but we cover the Alien: Engineers script in some great detail. As well as summarizing the events of the script, we also offer our own thoughts, comparisons, and criticisms. If you’re interested in reading the script yourself you can find it in our downloads section (along with many other drafts of the various other Alien/vs/Predator films).

We’d love to hear what you think about our latest episode. Did you agree or disagree with our assessment of Alien: Engineers? Or perhaps you just have some comments you’d like to make? Feel free to let us know down below!

XENOMORPHOSIS

Despite all its flaws, Prometheus's approach of being distant from the done to death tropes of Alien's cliches was a smart refreshing approach that allowed it to have its own identity and steer away from being a done to death Alien rehash. That being said, I really like what Ridley and his design team were doing in terms of recreating the xenomorph, returning to the "Classic Giger-esque aesthetic, and explore the Xenomorph's ancestors. Though it was smart to focus less on the Xeno I was excited about the direction they were going in. John Spaits seemed really bummed out by that Fact the changes striped away his contribution in revealing the origin of the xenomorphs. Hopefully Alien Covenant will re-explore these elements.

Mike’s Monsters

Great episode as always, gents!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Feb 29, 2016, 11:46:19 PM
Despite all its flaws, Prometheus's approach of being distant from the done to death tropes of Alien's cliches was a smart refreshing approach that allowed it to have its own identity and steer away from being a done to death Alien rehash.

In my opinion Alien: Engineers was still exploring those new angles, just with a more coherent structure. Like we said in the podcast, it wasn't a flawless script by any stretch but it was a better foundation.

QuoteThat being said, I really like what Ridley and his design team were doing in terms of recreating the xenomorph, returning to the "Classic Giger-esque aesthetic, and explore the Xenomorph's ancestors. Though it was smart to focus less on the Xeno I was excited about the direction they were going in.

I do wonder how it would have fared had they put more focus on the proto-Aliens and not trying to shoehorn in the classic ones. I'd have been interested in seeing that.

QuoteJohn Spaits seemed really bummed out by that Fact the changes striped away his contribution in revealing the origin of the xenomorphs. Hopefully Alien Covenant will re-explore these elements.

I'm not surprised. They butchered a much better put together effort.

Quote from: Mikey on Mar 01, 2016, 05:04:27 AM
Great episode as always, gents!

Thanks.  :)

BonesawT101

Fantastic podcast guys, as always. Really enjoy these casts, one of the few I actually look forward to listening to. Keep up the good work. With regards to Alien: Engineers, I wonder if any of the unused ideas and concepts will filter into Alien: Covenant. There are a number of aspects of the engineers script that I think we're, in my opinion, interesting- such as more of an emphasis on the Alien creatures as well as the recognizable ancestors of the Giger Alien.

oduodu

oduodu

Thanks for explaining why you guys feel the way you do. You gave very sound explanations. I am more at peace because of this pod cast about Prometheus. You also explained things in the Spaihts script a lot better then I understood it. You also touched upon Lindelof's draft and what you thought about it.  There was some really good stuff there that could have made a fantastic movie. I hope it finds it way into Covenant.

Thanks. Really . Enjoyed it.

The longer the pod cast better.

Xenomorphine: you studied AI ?

Wow.

One day it would be nice if you guys talked about the whole homage/throwback thing.

Nice to hear Huda !

Thanks

Just out of curiosity is there a bigger following of the franchise in the UK then America ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Mar 01, 2016, 11:35:26 AM
Fantastic podcast guys, as always. Really enjoy these casts, one of the few I actually look forward to listening to. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! It's nice to know we do have regular listeners who enjoy listening to us!

QuoteWith regards to Alien: Engineers, I wonder if any of the unused ideas and concepts will filter into Alien: Covenant. There are a number of aspects of the engineers script that I think we're, in my opinion, interesting- such as more of an emphasis on the Alien creatures as well as the recognizable ancestors of the Giger Alien.

It's certainly not out of the realms of possibility! From the way Ridley is talking about Covenant, it seems like it'll be focusing heavily on the creation of the Aliens and those threads of creation and evolution of the Alien were more apparent in the Alien days of Prometheus. I would not be surprised to see the proto-Aliens return.

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 01, 2016, 11:37:06 AM
Thanks for explaining why you guys feel the way you do. You gave very sound explanations. I am more at peace because of this pod cast about Prometheus. You also explained things in the Spaihts script a lot better then I understood it. You also touched upon Lindelof's draft and what you thought about it.  There was some really good stuff there that could have made a fantastic movie. I hope it finds it way into Covenant.

Thanks. Really . Enjoyed it.

I'm glad you enjoyed the listen! I'm pleased to hear we helped you in your understanding of the script and how we feel about it.

QuoteThe longer the pod cast better.

We never really set any particular lengths but sometimes they just run long because they have to or they run short because you can't really stretch it. We just let them run as long as the conversation dictates.  :)

QuoteOne day it would be nice if you guys talked about the whole homage/throwback thing.

What do you mean? The issues with sequels/prequels having repeat sequences, dialogue? That kind of thing?

QuoteNice to hear Huda !

Indeed! Poor RidgeTop is always outnumbered!  :P

QuoteJust out of curiosity is there a bigger following of the franchise in the UK then America ?

That's a hard question and I'm not sure how I'd measure that. Alien guests at conventions are generally quite popular. We tend to have special events and etc about them over here. Of course, they were largely filmed over here too so there's that.

426Buddy

Only made it 40 min in last night, great podcast so far though, very interesting since I never actually read the script. I'll finish the rest tonight after work, can't wait!

I would bet that the UK has a bigger fanbase than the US, in 24 years of fandom I've actually never even met another person that was into the series like I am. It doesn't mean there isn't a big fanbase here, but I don't think its all that common.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 01, 2016, 03:29:17 PM
Only made it 40 min in last night, great podcast so far though, very interesting since I never actually read the script. I'll finish the rest tonight after work, can't wait!

That's the problem with longer ones. Glad you're enjoying it so far though!

QuoteI would bet that the UK has a bigger fanbase than the US, in 24 years of fandom I've actually never even met another person that was into the series like I am. It doesn't mean there isn't a big fanbase here, but I don't think its all that common.

America is a lot bigger as well though. You might be spread out.

oduodu

Corporal

Stuff like David playing basketball like Ripley or the countdown timer in Prometheus etc.  I would like to hear you guys opinion on whether or not simply putting something in a movie as a homage to earlier work is it a nostalgia thing and does it add to the movie ?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: oduodu on Mar 01, 2016, 04:30:04 PM
Corporal

Stuff like David playing basketball like Ripley or the countdown timer in Prometheus etc.  I would like to hear you guys opinion on whether or not simply putting something in a movie as a homage to earlier work is it a nostalgia thing and does it add to the movie ?

I'd never really thought about those as I didn't really consider them homages to any of the previous films.

Paul R

Paul R

Anyway to download this podcast to enjoy on the go?

Corporal Hicks

Sure! I always link to the actual download in the articles.

Here's a direct link! http://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/podcasts/avpg_pc_episode33.mp3

Mike

A:Covenant should explain how those Xenomorphs were created and why. But there is another question: when they were created. Honestly speaking, Xenomorph species is probably not such young as some people believe. Since there was a mural where there is image of classic Xenomorph and film will be set 20 years before Alien, them those classic ones should appear alongside  possible ancestors. That could mean they appeared maybe thousands or millions years ago. Just opinion.

Xeno-Dwarf

As vague as Prometheus was at times, I thought it did a really god job of feeling like a part of Alien, even though there weren't any Xenomorphs. I also thought the final version was much better than the Spaihts script. I think the biggest similarity to Alien was that there was in fact a lot of mystery, and things left unexplained. As much as I love the other Alien movies and stories, the lifespan and nature of the standard Xeno has become too predictable and familiar. Even though it would have been nice to see the Xeno in Prometheus, it's better to have little to no information than know everything. I think it was Dan O'Bannon who stated something along the lines of as soon as something becomes familiar it's not scary anymore (it may not have been him that said that, but I think that's right), which has indeed happened to the Alien universe. I also think it was important for them to do something more than just provide some new monsters. Those creatures did seem cool, but the monster has never been the main thing that makes the Alien films truly scary or mysterious. It's always been about the atmosphere of the films, and the overall sense of dread or impending doom, which Prometheus nailed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed