The String Rewrite Project (SRP) for ACM Overhaul (V6)

Started by XSlayer300, Sep 29, 2020, 02:48:30 PM

Author
The String Rewrite Project (SRP) for ACM Overhaul (V6) (Read 9,308 times)

XSlayer300

XSlayer300

A rewrite of the game's strings for Aliens: Colonial Marines Overhaul.

Introduction:
Let's face it, ACM was not a perfect game to start with. And although I am late to the hype (but actually disappointment) party when the game was released, the modding scene was dedicated enough to make the game better in most regards. We have Aliens Survival Experience, Cilitbäng-Pack, "Building Better Worlds" and of course, the more recent and highly developed ACM Overhaul. And here I am, thinking that if we have a bunch of textures mods and mods that alter the game play experience, are there any mods that can rewrite the game's strings to make it slightly feel better? And here the SRP Addon was born, built for version 6 of ACM Overhaul.

The goal:
The SRP was made for several goals in mind:

• To have more thought process in creating descriptions.
  • To correct the game's typographical errors both in the game and what was caused because of ACM Overhaul. (One letter typos that significantly alter the AI notwithstanding)
  • To give a little more incentive on the reading front.
  • To expand the broken base of ACM's lore (ie. the new xenomorphs, W-Y PMCs, etc).
  • To give a character to transform from the lifeless husk.
  • To expand the game's strings without adding more (since adding more strings barring credit strings will be an impossible task to do).
  • To know if we got everything.

Okay that last one wasn't really what I have in mind, the game itself already has a pre-planned story that me or any of the experienced modders cannot change. BUT however! I have some features that come into mind.

Main features (atleast for now):

• A total rewrite of most descriptions of the weapons and their customization options (built for ACM Overhaul).
  • The option to choose real weapon names for some of the weapons or their names given in the Aliens universe.
  • A total rewrite of the game's tips, with the option of choosing in-game lore, in-game tips or out-of-game facts about the game and the mods.
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in the vanilla game (ie. Gorman's first name)
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in with the addition of the Overhaul Mod (ie. Bug Hunt item costs)
  • Added more flavor into the game's texts (ie. Skin descriptions)
  • Intel system that gives an insight on what or how it happened (they replaces the Sephora's dogtags)
  • And possibly many more (I could not really say much, after all. Why not watch the credits for a surprise?)

Extensive list (why not play the mod when it's done:tm: instead? These spoilers are in the spoiler box after all):
Spoiler

• A total rewrite of most descriptions and statistics of the weapons and their customization options (built for ACM Overhaul).
  • The rename of some of the weapons that would fit their designation (88 Mod 4 to MK88 Mod 4, U4 Firebomb to M59 Incen.).
  • The option to choose real weapon names for some of the weapons or their names given in the Aliens universe. (M4A3 to M1911A1)
  • A total rewrite of the game's tips, with the option of choosing in-game lore, in-game tips or out-of-game facts about the game and the mods.
  • A rewrite of some of the game's objectives (Kill Xeno to Neutralize the Xenomorph from Distress).
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in the vanilla game (ie. Gorman's first name, Firing Range description)
  • Fixed typo graphical errors that were made in with the addition of the Overhaul Mod (ie. Bug Hunt item costs)
  • The addition of ranks before the name of the character (O'Neal to Pvt. O'Neal)
  • Added more flavor into the game's texts (ie. Skin descriptions)
  • Intel system that gives an insight on what or how it happened (they replaces the Sephora's dogtags)
  • The game's credits now include the Overhaul and this addon's team before the main game's credits.
  • Compatibility for Stasis Interrupted and Bug Hunt DLCs, but not including the other two map DLCs.
[close]

The Intel system (Work-in-progress):

The big flaw of ACM's story is... the low-regard for storytelling, atleast from what I have knew. The characters lack flavor, and more especially the antagonists, who just appeared as if they came out of nowhere they're forced in to this game. And the main game's story does not make any sense. This is atleast the best I can do to add ACM's story without directly rewriting it (as it is impossible to add or remove the game's level design and/or story events).

The Intel system is what I come up with, they are collectables in the game which reveals unexplored information about the game's new xenomorphs, fills in the blanks and tells us what happened before the events of the game. The intel system replaces the Sephora's dogtags, the Sulaco's dogtags remained the same for that purpose of nolsalgia after all. Due to the limited space of what I can type, I cannot fit everything in, some things are best left unexplained after all.

Intel files now support a custom string to indicate such.

To see what I come up with for the intel, here is the list inside the spoilers.
Spoiler

• After Action Report: USCM reports made by 1st Lieutenant W. Monday (a character actually cut from ACM, but restored in this mod) about the situation in the Sephora and what happened outside of Winter's and Cruz's view in LV-426.
  • Weyland-Yutani Bio-Weapons Reference Manual: A reference manual akin to the Weyland-Yutani report, except it contains some of the more obvious Alien hallmark stuff.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: A report about PMC STF Beta-6, "Pandora's Box" (the squad that stationed at LV-426, mentioned in game) about the various findings and incident reports before the USCM arrival.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Contractor Account: An account made by a W-Y senior PMC named "Lynn Aufsässig" and her findings and feelings about the events before the game's main events.
[close]

The content (in chronological order):
Spoiler

• After Action Report: SEPH-426 No. 1 - The Sephora, Investigation: Acheron: USCM report about the initial findings of the Sulaco and LV-426. FINISHED
  • After Action Report: SEPH-426 No. 2 - Stasis Intrrrupted: USCM report about the final logs of the Sulaco before it was captured by the PMCs. FINISHED

• Weyland-Yutani Bio-Weapons Reference Manual: Private Military Contractors: A manual introducing the W-Y PMCs (Mercs) and their primary objective. FINISHED
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 1 - Standing Orders: A log containing standing orders of the W-Y PMC Squad TF Beta-6 "Pandora's Box", give us a reason why the PMCs attack the Sephora in the first place.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 5 - LV-426 Xeno. Hive Report: A report containing why did they use the Sulaco as an investigation site despite the fact that they already have many xenos living on LV-426.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 8 - The Lurker: A report about the Lurker Xenomorph. FINISHED

• W-Y Contractor Account: 2 Weeks Passed: An account of a W-Y Contractor Lynn Aufsässig about her reports during Hadley's Hope, 2 weeks after Aliens, Alien3 and SI.
  • After Action Report: SEPH-426 No. 3 - Contact Lost: USCM report about losing both the Sephora and the Sulaco, as well as a casualty report.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 11 - The Boiler: A report about the Boiler Xenomorph, how is it evolved and why is it secluded in the sewers.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 13 - The "Raven" [1/2]: Part one out of two, a report about the Raven Xenomorph, why is it so special about it and what caste is it from.

• W-Y Contractor Account: 5 Weeks Passed: A Contractor's account about her reports in the Origin Facility.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 9 - The Spitter: A report about the Spitter Xenomorph.

• Weyland-Yutani Bio-Weapons Reference Manual: The Facehugger: A manual about the Facehugger.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 2 - Origin Facility: A report about the construction on the Origin Facility.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 13 - The "Raven" [2/2]: Part two, a report about the Raven Xenomorph, continuing its report and why is it secluded in the sewers.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 16 - The 2nd "Queen": A report about the second LV-624 Queen and how was it found.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC STF Beta-6 Report: No. 3 - Incident, Hicks, Dwayne [1/2]: Part one out of two, a report about Hicks during the events of Stasis Inturrupted, something that is not explained in the base game.
  • Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 10 - The Crusher: A report detailing about the Crusher Xenomorph.
  • After Action Report: SEPH-426 No. 4 - Evacuation: A USCM report about what will the USCM do after the Sephora was destroyed and the marines left on the planet.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC STF Beta-6 Report: No. 3 - Incident, Hicks, Dwayne [2/2]: Part two, a report about Hicks & Levy sending the distress signal, and the events after it.
  • W-Y Contractor Account: 16 Weeks Passed: A Contractor's account questioning about her loyalty to W-Y.

• Weyland-Yutani PMC Squad Task Force Beta-6 Report: No. 17 - The Resolute: A report about W-Y's ship: The Resolute and the conclusion to the operation.
  • W-Y Contractor Account: Conclusion: A last report about the Contractor before she and her loyalists left LV-426.
[close]

As it is still work-in-progress, I might as well make it as a community effort too. I hope you guys can give me suggestions on what to write about those articles that I will be adding.

There will be more updates to the Intel system soon.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

SRP gives a little history lesson to the weapons.

As an optional feature, you can choose real weapon names over the Alien universe ones (statistics do not change).

SRP also changes a few statistic strings (Firepower > Lethality, Clip Size > Magazine Size, etc.).
In addition, Fire Mode is now Fire Mode / Ammo, makes no sense if the fire mode is high-velocity rounds, hm?

SRP changes some of the weapon's names, this for instance is because of Overhaul removing Hudson's decals. So now, it is a vanilla pulse rifle at its finest (WIP).

Even some tactical weapon names are changed too, to fit better with some of the game's inconsistent naming designations.

SRP also fixes typos (for reference, the vanilla game named him William instead of Scott).

Randy mentioned about the game's acts (specifically, the 2011 scene taking place in LV-426 is act 2), so why not I add that?

Game tips are replaced and expanded (through the help of someone in the ACM Overhaul community)

It also applies during in the game too, and in addition to this, ranks are now seen along with their names.

Indeed, it also changes some of the objectives too.

Hardened is now UB, but UB is turned into "Game Over Man!".

As SRP is compatible with SI, now audio logs have their titles displayed before playing.
[close]

Developer notes:
This is - more or less - a lore-friendly headcanon to explain the game's lore, this is not an official canon. But atleast, this is the best what I (and maybe and hopefully, others) can do to fix up most of the game's strings.

This is currently work-in-progress, so downloads will not come up soon, yet.

This is meant for ACM Overhaul in mind. SRP will work without it, but most of the strings will be incorrect, and besides, ACM Overhaul is the best addition for the game's singleplayer experience.

My english is somewhat bad, please bare with me.

I know A:CM Modding Discussion is a better place, but I am not asking questions really. This is a preview of a mod that is WIP.

This addon (along with the Overhaul mod) is best played at 1920x1080, so anything less than that and some strings will be cut off.

Credits:
In addition to myself creating this mod, some wonderful people helped me out in the ACM Overhaul discord during the development:

• TheSpoons313 - for assisting me with the game's tips and the credits
  • Larnievc - for assisting me of some of the game's intel files
  • TemplarGFX and the rest of the community - for making the Overhaul mod and this addon possible

Feel free to stop by at the official ACM Overhaul discord for the development of this addon as well as the Overhaul mod. https://discord.gg/cPceJCs

Stitch

Sounds interesting. Might re-download ACM and give it a whirl when it's complete.

XSlayer300

School is starting for me, development for the mod is slowed down, but not dead either.

Development WIPs:
Spoiler

It's hard to see in this picture, but now the prompt for performing a melee attack to xenos has been removed, making connected melee attacks harder to perform, but less annoying.

Sulaco's dogtags now have a special prompt to indicate as such, to differentiate between the Intel system [WIP].

Location names are shown in the game's leaderboard.
[close]

Shugsi

I actually came on to see if anyone every modded this to save it.

Kradan

Quote from: Stitch on Sep 29, 2020, 06:08:43 PM
Sounds interesting. Might re-download ACM and give it a whirl when it's complete.

Be careful. He might be Randy's agent in disguise

Shugsi

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 16, 2020, 11:52:19 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Sep 29, 2020, 06:08:43 PM

Be careful. He might be Randy's agent in disguise
Pencils in randy boys eyes!!!!

XSlayer300

Heya, problem here. Honestly, between the development of this post and the addon itself, I just feel like I lost motivation in continuing further. But I am not going to cancel the mod, it's usually that I am torn in developing other mods for other games, it's just that thinking of a game's lore that is screwed up from the very start, and trying to fix it myself would be a daunting task. I was also busy with irl as well, someday, I might release a development version, though it is unfinished.

Kradan

Take as much time as you need - no one is rushing you  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed