Yet another little featurette - 'Vision Of Prometheus'

Started by Bad Replicant, May 17, 2012, 12:55:39 PM

Author
Yet another little featurette - 'Vision Of Prometheus' (Read 36,099 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Wow, that went sideways.

Again, really, for me, I've seen Marshall-Green in other television and film and this role is quite a departure.  He's a solid performer, I see no problem with him.  I frankly think part of the overblown response to the guy is the character, who is clearly brash, reckless and IMO condescending towards Shaw and certainly David, and that's who he is meant to be.  And yeah, I roll my eyes at some of Holloway's foolish attitude like anyone else.  But part of the reaction is, I feel, a knee-jerk response to the presence of a young, handsome man who ticks demographic boxes, which, I think, is seen by some as supposedly anathema in an Alien film.

I personally don't see it that way.  Both Michael Biehn and Tom Skerritt were reasonably popular and attractive young, up and coming leading men when they played Hicks and Dallas, but it was not the form and function of their character.  Neither is it so with Marshall-Green as Holloway.  I think times have changed, looks have changed, style and film certainly, but I don't think that's what LMG's casting as Holloway was about.  I suspect his stage work was seen and that's what got him the gig, because he's awfully good.  I don't think it's a case of "how dare they cast a hunk in an Alien movie as a shameless attempt to curry the female demographic with this pretty boy" - I never remotely thought it was that.

Marshall-Green is playing what appears to be an arrogant, supremely self-assured egotist of a scientist.  Everything about his performance and appearance - right down to the ascot, no doubt - is calculated to generate that.  I'm sure Holloway is not a truly awful human being, but he leads with the arrogance.  I personally find his and Shaw's relationship fascinating to ponder, because as I've said before, he seems to lead the charge, even as he's simultaneously putting her and her passion down ("I want to crush all man-made religions" - why?).  I don't know why they're together, how they've related given his ego and her apparent demure shyness, and I want to.  I can believe he loves her, but their dynamic seems thorny and imperfect - and interesting.

I have no further opinions on any of the other actors or their personal lives, except to say that Michael Fassbender may in fact be the finest leading man of our times and casting him was genius.

Valaquen

Back to the topic, eh.

psychonaut25

ChrisPachi

Don't tell me that the X-Files actually got technology. ;D

VickersAsh

Quote from: Qwertify on May 18, 2012, 05:06:52 AM

English versions of Shaw and Holloway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-DMzhl15E0#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPu1cTUqzc#ws

Just reposting in case people on the forums are confused by why the featurette thread is about dating advice.

these subtitles are in my language. i wonder what channel this was on
anyway. looooooove them. idc LGM's acting is great, i don't know why so many are complaining (i'm using these and the new clips as proof)

Cory

Quote from: VickersAsh on May 18, 2012, 10:21:04 AM
Quote from: Qwertify on May 18, 2012, 05:06:52 AM

English versions of Shaw and Holloway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-DMzhl15E0#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPu1cTUqzc#ws

Just reposting in case people on the forums are confused by why the featurette thread is about dating advice.

these subtitles are in my language. i wonder what channel this was on
anyway. looooooove them. idc LGM's acting is great, i don't know why so many are complaining (i'm using these and the new clips as proof)

It's on CinestarTV, also today at 3pm.

JKS1

JKS1

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 18, 2012, 06:18:28 AM
Wow, that went sideways.

Again, really, for me, I've seen Marshall-Green in other television and film and this role is quite a departure.  He's a solid performer, I see no problem with him.  I frankly think part of the overblown response to the guy is the character, who is clearly brash, reckless and IMO condescending towards Shaw and certainly David, and that's who he is meant to be.  And yeah, I roll my eyes at some of Holloway's foolish attitude like anyone else. But part of the reaction is, I feel, a knee-jerk response to the presence of a young, handsome man who ticks demographic boxes, which, I think, is seen by some as supposedly anathema in an Alien film.

I personally don't see it that way.  Both Michael Biehn and Tom Skerritt were reasonably popular and attractive young, up and coming leading men when they played Hicks and Dallas, but it was not the form and function of their character.  Neither is it so with Marshall-Green as Holloway.  I think times have changed, looks have changed, style and film certainly, but I don't think that's what LMG's casting as Holloway was about.  I suspect his stage work was seen and that's what got him the gig, because he's awfully good.  I don't think it's a case of "how dare they cast a hunk in an Alien movie as a shameless attempt to curry the female demographic with this pretty boy" - I never remotely thought it was that.

Marshall-Green is playing what appears to be an arrogant, supremely self-assured egotist of a scientist.  Everything about his performance and appearance - right down to the ascot, no doubt - is calculated to generate that.  I'm sure Holloway is not a truly awful human being, but he leads with the arrogance.  I personally find his and Shaw's relationship fascinating to ponder, because as I've said before, he seems to lead the charge, even as he's simultaneously putting her and her passion down ("I want to crush all man-made religions" - why?).  I don't know why they're together, how they've related given his ego and her apparent demure shyness, and I want to.  I can believe he loves her, but their dynamic seems thorny and imperfect - and interesting.

I have no further opinions on any of the other actors or their personal lives, except to say that Michael Fassbender may in fact be the finest leading man of our times and casting him was genius.

the hilighted part of your post is complete and utter patronising bullshit !! (to put it politely)

the handsomeness/hunkiness/swoonworthiness or whatever you want to call it, of a character or actor, has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with how happy or otherwise I am with his inclusion in a movie like this

but it does have everything to do with how well and how convincingly he delivers his lines, how convincingly he plays a role, and how transparent he is in doing so

LMG looks like he's trying to act a part, and he sounds like he's reading his lines off a cue card for the first time - amateurish in the extreme

Its really the first time in a long time that a performance (or at least what weve seen of it so far) has stood out so much from the rest, simply from viewing the trailers, for being so glaringly bad

He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst that ensemble cast of talent, and it has absolutely zippo to do with his looks

Cast a breathtakingly beautiful male model type in the role and if his acting is seamless and you totally 'buy' him as that character, purely because his performance is so good, so natural, and so believable.........it certainly wont matter one jot to me how gorgeous he is........and you definitely wont hear any complaints from me - for me its all about the acting and LMG just doesnt cut it here

ThisBethesdaSea

I would agree in part that LMG almost seems as if he put on his best acting skills resulting in a performance that appears almost exhuberant and plastic..which is odd because his work in Devil was amazing. I'll reserve final judgement after viewing the entire film. I want to think the best of him for now :)

VickersAsh

Quote from: Cory on May 18, 2012, 11:05:24 AM
It's on CinestarTV, also today at 3pm.

yasss. thank you!!

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: JKS1 on May 18, 2012, 11:23:29 AM
the hilighted part of your post is complete and utter patronising bullshit !! (to put it politely)

Okay, but how's my hair?

ShadowPred

Quote from: RoyaleDuke on May 18, 2012, 05:27:16 AM
I feel so lame, I don't have any cool stories of meeting cool and or famous people.

Wait...Well I did see Hunter S. Thompson once.

Oh, I have one.

I shook Conan O'Brien's hand during his last week on NBC.

Winkie Bear

Well, I have not only MET Sir Jimmy Saville (okay 35 years ago), but I showed Adrian Edmondson the way to the toilet. Beat that!

Oh and then me and Rafe Spall... or was that a dream?

ShadowPred

Quote from: ucdom on May 18, 2012, 04:19:48 PM
Well, I have not only MET Sir Jimmy Saville (okay 35 years ago), but I showed Adrian Edmondson the way to the toilet. Beat that!

Oh and then me and Rafe Spall... or was that a dream?

No, it happened.

ryanjayhawk

Michael Fassbender's performance so far in the clips and featurettes we have seen shows how an attractive actor, can just absolutely nail their part.  I think some of the problem with the dialogue is way the footage we have seen has been cut, I think seeing longer line delivery may change some opinions.

I'm just hoping the line from Noomi about it being an ivitation doesn't make me think of Gandalf's line from Lord of the Rings, when he tells Bilbo he's trying to protect him after getting angry.  That line delivery just came out weird, I catch it everytime I see the movie.

ThisBethesdaSea

What's odd about the 'invitation' line is that Noomi looks so different...like it was a last minute reshoot...her cheeks look botoxed to hell and her hair is weird. In terms of continuity, she looks weird.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed