First Look at Creative Assembly's Alien Game?

Started by ikarop, Mar 02, 2013, 08:21:16 AM

Author
First Look at Creative Assembly's Alien Game? (Read 34,843 times)

Speedy_J

After 2 disappointing FPS games, and a canceled RPG title, I'm willing to play something different for a change....But I'm not going to hold my breath for anticipation.

Vrastal

I dont think a third person can bring on the horror like first person. Dead space really didnt do anything for me.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

QuoteI dont think a third person can bring on the horror like first person.

I beg to differ, not too far back. Both the Silent Hill franchise and the original Resident Evil/Biohazard trilogy gave myself and many others quite the scare. I believe Horror can be done correctly in the third person medium just as well, if not BETTER, than first person. Just my opinion though.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Can't believe I'm just hearing about this now!

Like all of you, I'm cautiously optimistic. But seeing as this could be the ALIEN game I've waited for my entire life, I can't help but dream up a little wishlist:

• Open-ended, replayable 'story': I don't want to go from point A to point Z and then put it on the shelf. I want to look at my situation, and desperately think of a way to make it better. Sometimes I'll lose a game and say "well, that got us all killed", and sometimes I'll surprise myself by succeeding at something I thought wouldn't work in a million years. Like sometimes, maybe going into the air shaft really is your best option; sometimes it isn't... the only way to find out is to try it. Similarly, I want the alien(s) to try different things, too. An unpredictable, always-different experience is key.
  • Shipmates who look like 70s actors: I'm beyond weary of the endless parade of macho-men in Alien games. I know those were all supposed to be marines, so it makes sense, but still - I'm just tired of it. Give me more Hurt, Cartwright, and Stanton types. Characters I can look at and say, "oh buddy... I'm not so sure you're gonna make it!". The same goes for hyper-sexualized female characters (the character model in the screenshot appears to have a pretty realistic bust size, so that's a good start).
  • NPCs that have varying states of composure: some of your shipmates are just more prone to freaking out than others. Some may not like you, others may not trust you. Keeping morale from crumbling should be a constant concern.
  • Give players/characters a real reason to split up: this is a big one for me. It's hard to get scared (and by all reports, that's what they're going for) when you're walking around in a squad of armed characters. Send me back for the cat... I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. ;) Along these lines, when it comes to multiplayer, restrict voice chat to only being able to hear players whose characters are near your own, or near a comm panel. The developers could even have fun playing with fade/echo effects depending on chat distance. Has this been done before? Also, separate servers for Bozos/Non-Bozos would be nice.  :D
  • A real danger of depressurization due to alien acid: 'Nuff said. Every other game has only really paid lip service to the acid. I don't know if they can code acid that actually eats holes in the deck, but avoiding spilling alien blood should be something you have to think about. All the time.
  • Lots of character customization: Why not? Even if it's just mixing and matching different combinations of heads, torsos, and legs, I would love to be playing this game with different looking characters all the time! Such a thing would be a waste of resources in a run n' gun, but pretty essential for a heavy-immersion game like this, I think.
  • A modular starship that rearranges itself at the start of a game: This is a big one, and I don't know if it's possible. A big part of the tension in Alien is that, even though the characters know where they're going, we don't. What's at the end of that corridor? What's around that corner? Gonna have to go look. This ties into the first point above, and makes for a fresh and interesting experience every time. They could explain it away by saying it's your character's first flight on that vessel, and he/she's not that familiar with it yet. Players can use the icons (like in my profile pic), to find what they're looking for. Of course the bridge should be at the bow on A-deck and engineering should be aft on C-deck, but beyond that... mix it up and surprise me.
Whew, I didn't mean for that to go on so long. If anybody read all of that, thanks for indulging!  :D

[EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget:

• Secret, randomly-selected synthetic android. ]

ShadowPred

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Mar 02, 2013, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Mar 02, 2013, 02:46:29 PM
I hope the only weapon you get is the flamethrower with limited ammo and that is IT. That would make for a far scarier game IMHO.

WHAT?

Please, you must be joking. That be boring as shit.

Go watch Alien

hfeldhaus

if this is centred around and Alien style them than the Aliens kind i will be pleased. Aliens may appeal to the masses more but Alien, imo, makes for a far creepier and atmospheric experience. something new for the franchise in terms of gamiing

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: Nazrel on Mar 02, 2013, 07:19:29 PM
I dont think a third person can bring on the horror like first person. Dead space really didnt do anything for me.

Wasn't alien more of a horror-thriller than a straight up gothic horror per se?

And stuff

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Mar 02, 2013, 02:46:29 PM
I hope the only weapon you get is the flamethrower with limited ammo and that is IT. That would make for a far scarier game IMHO.

I'd say at least a cattle prod that needs to be recharged every once in a while at a single location on the ship.  That way you always have ammo, but recharging it is out of the way and there's always a chance you'll run out of charge at a critical moment.  I'd think that would be even scarier than knowing you're out of ammo for the rest of the game and planning for it.

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 02, 2013, 07:43:30 PM
Can't believe I'm just hearing about this now!

Like all of you, I'm cautiously optimistic. But seeing as this could be the ALIEN game I've waited for my entire life, I can't help but dream up a little wishlist:
I don't know if you're aware, but basically everything you just listed was a feature in the old Commodore 64/ ZX Spectrum Alien game from 1981.

Salt The Fries

And about depressurization, it was featured in another Commodore game, Project Firestart from 1989, which itself also draws heavily from Alien.

JungleHunter87

QuoteI'd say at least a cattle prod that needs to be recharged every once in a while at a single location on the ship.  That way you always have ammo, but recharging it is out of the way and there's always a chance you'll run out of charge at a critical moment.  I'd think that would be even scarier than knowing you're out of ammo for the rest of the game and planning for it.

I had forgotten about the cattle prods when I first posted. Also, by only flamethrowers, I'd meant in terms of 'heavy weaponry'. But I do like your Idea. Along with the original motion tracker, it'd make for a very tense experience.

Elicas

Quote from: And stuff on Mar 03, 2013, 02:11:59 AM
I'd say at least a cattle prod that needs to be recharged every once in a while at a single location on the ship.  That way you always have ammo, but recharging it is out of the way and there's always a chance you'll run out of charge at a critical moment.  I'd think that would be even scarier than knowing you're out of ammo for the rest of the game and planning for it.

I'd be down with that too :)

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: SiL on Mar 03, 2013, 06:47:35 AM
I don't know if you're aware, but basically everything you just listed was a feature in the old Commodore 64/ ZX Spectrum Alien game from 1981.

Oh yeah? I did see a link to an article about that game that SM (I think) posted in another thread, and was intrigued! I wonder if there's some kind of emulator out there...

'Course, this new game would be a little more happenin', technologically.  8)

Vrastal

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Mar 02, 2013, 07:27:09 PM
QuoteI dont think a third person can bring on the horror like first person.

I beg to differ, not too far back. Both the Silent Hill franchise and the original Resident Evil/Biohazard trilogy gave myself and many others quite the scare. I believe Horror can be done correctly in the third person medium just as well, if not BETTER, than first person. Just my opinion though.

I was never able to play silent hill or resident evil when i was younger. and i haven't had the chance to yet, but if they really are that scary I'll have to look into them soon.l 

SpaceMarines

Be warned: the first three or so Resident Evil games have not aged well. At all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed