NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,172,929 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: California Tick on Apr 26, 2015, 05:06:28 PM
Since NECA is re-interpreting the Kenner figures, they are going to have to make some choices about certain elements of those figures. What works with the NECA brand Predators stylistically, thematically etc. The black chest piece wasn't a part of that vision.
That's a super-duper lame cop-out, they absolutely could have done the black chest-piece if they wanted to. It might have been cost-prohibitive, but don't give me that "stylistically, thematically, part of the vision" nonsense.

Bender1988

Bender1988

basically the figure is only some new accesories-thats what i dont like about it- diffrent paintjpob is not enought for me to buy the same figure over and over

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

The past SDCC exclusive predators were awesome but this one... :-\ I don´t know what to think; certainly doesn´t look bad but looks like a very cheap clear repaint.

California Tick

California Tick

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2015, 01:45:16 AM
Since NECA is re-interpreting the Kenner figures, they are going to have to make some choices about certain elements of those figures. What works with the NECA brand Predators stylistically, thematically etc. The black chest piece wasn't a part of that vision.
That's a super-duper lame cop-out, they absolutely could have done the black chest-piece if they wanted to. It might have been cost-prohibitive, but don't give me that "stylistically, thematically, part of the vision" nonsense.

If you'd like to call my response nonsense, that is your prerogative. If you were to pose the question on Neca's Twitter page, I'm sure you'd get a very similar answer. No need to be rude.

elemental-of-all

Of course he'd get a similar answer.
"It was part of our creative teams vision, and we gave it our own twist"
Instead of
"We saved a total of $493.76 by not including the black armor piece. Now shut up and buy this cheap repaint"

California Tick

California Tick

::)

No one is making you buy anything. If you don't like it, don't buy. Really quite simple. Personally I don't want a carbon copy of Kenner's predators. Even though a lot of us have a strong sense of nostalgia attached to them, they were pretty hokey kid's toys. I appreciate that this is NECA's line, not Kenner's, and I'm thrilled they are giving a nod to Kenner's predators by stylistically adapting them into the very successful and long running NECA line.

If you want a carbon copy of a Kenner predator, then enjoy the figures you might still have, or go buy one off of eBay. Many of us will be buying and enjoying NECA's Interpretation of them.

There is no wrong way to enjoy this hobby, but unfortunately some people just complain about EVERYTHING.

We are all here because of the love of Predator and figure collecting. It's supposed to be enjoyable and friendly to discuss our hobby. Don't take life so seriously folks.

slaysaliens

slaysaliens

Agreed.  This hobby is great.  Great to discuss it, but the complaining is useless and sucks the fun out of the forums.

Also, some reminders for some of you...........

"This is rumor control, here are the facts":

1.  Stan Winston REUSED parts.  In the FILMS.  Stan Winston did NOT sculpt and create new molds for every body part and every gun/armor on every predator.  That's how it happened.  On film.  By his creative & capable hands.

2.  Under the predator MASK is KPH's BARE FACE.  Removable masks did NOT work on film.  Therefore, as per NECA's accuracy towards film standards, removable masks have not been acceptable in their toy format on figures based off of movie counter parts.

elemental-of-all

elemental-of-all

Comparing Stan Winston to NECA seems wrong.
The way Winston recycled set pieces and props was done so gracefully that the only way to know what hearing about it in special features.

Neca, while I'll agree does an OK job reusing the body's, it dosnt seem like a "stykistic" choice like mentioned above. Its just saving some money. And from a buisness standpoint, its genius. As a consumer, its shameless.
I personally only collect aliens, so even if collected them I'd still have an issue (but would still buy) but from a slightly outsider perspective I can see it as a kinda cheap money saver.

I'm not knocking people that collect them BTW, some do look awesome. And if you dont care about repaints, all the power to you. More predator figures for you.

I can only hope they don't try the same thing with the aliens line. Because unlike the preds, the aliens body's are all based on the host. They won't be able to pass off big chaps body, with no arms, paint it green and call it a snake alien. ;P

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: California Tick on Apr 27, 2015, 09:39:20 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 27, 2015, 01:45:16 AM

If you'd like to call my response nonsense, that is your prerogative. If you were to pose the question on Neca's Twitter page, I'm sure you'd get a very similar answer. No need to be rude.
But it is nonsense, straight up. It's a cost-saving measure and nothing more, and trying to disguise it as anything else is disingenuous.

I'm totally fine with them making changes to the Kenner figures, but let's not pretend the changes aren't done as a means to save money where possible in order to make the figures justifiable at mass retail or whatever.

Them not including the really distinctive black chest piece on the Ambush Predator has nothing to do with "their vision", the piece was cost prohibitive for them to include at mass retail so they left it out. It has nothing to do with their "creative vision" or "reinterpretation".

Incidentally I straight up asked them on twitter, so let's see what they say.

I'm totally cool with reusing parts and stuff, especially with precedents set by the movie. I've got the majority of their Predator figures and I don't mind reused parts (or straight-up repaints, like with Lava Planet/Cracked Tusk) so long as it's "accurate" to the movie/source material and there's a precedent for it.

But when they're changing stuff (like a non-removable mask on Lava Planet/Cracked Tusk, or skipping Ambush's chest piece) we don't need to pretend it's in order to preserve some "artistic vision" or some nonsense. They're a business that's trying to make money and justify making these toys for mass retail, so they're going to make concessions where it can save them money.
"Don't buy them" is a retarded cop-out way of handwaving complaints. I'm still going to buy them because it's the only way to get an Ambush Predator remake, and not having the chest piece isn't a dealbreaker. I WISH they'd include the chest piece, but I can understand why they didn't. And that reason has nothing to do with the sanctity of their vision as artists or whatever.

Quote from: elemental-of-all on Apr 28, 2015, 03:07:22 AM
Comparing Stan Winston to NECA seems wrong.
The way Winston recycled set pieces and props was done so gracefully that the only way to know what hearing about it in special features.
In NECA's defense, their reuse of parts for the Lost Predators was done really, really well as well, and it's what got me to buy the entire line (and continue buying their Predators, despite the reuse of parts). They're able to disguise reused parts through great paint apps or certain other resculpted/mixed-and-matched parts which make the Predators *feel* different, so it disguises the fact that they're drawing from the same 3 Predator bodies over and over.

Born Of Cold Light

I wonder if they'll remake the Spiked Tail Predator.  I know it violates everything about canon, but they could possibly make something cool out of it.  Maybe it could be a Predator that was captured and experimented on by the Engineers.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

My shortlist of Kenner remakes I'd love to see:

Spiked Tail (my first Predator figure ever)
Stalker Predator (GLOW IN THE DARK HELL YEAH)
Clan Leader

elemental-of-all

Looks like you got your answer.
"Just doesn't work"
Ahhh, it all makes sense now.
Wait, wut.

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 28, 2015, 04:50:01 AM
My shortlist of Kenner remakes I'd love to see:

Spiked Tail (my first Predator figure ever)
Stalker Predator (GLOW IN THE DARK HELL YEAH)
Clan Leader
plus

LASERSHOT
NIGHT RECON(HIVE WARS)

are the only ones that remain that i count and remember
NECA stated that was the plan (to do ALL the KENNER PREDs) so your wish may come true

spoiler alert
AMBUSH blister card write up

i figured AMBUSH was gonna be this years SDCCE, when the teaser photo popped up
makes sense, the KENNER release was a DTC mail away exclusive
plan to snag two

believe this will the 5th cloaked(clear translucent) SDCCE PRED to be release by NECA to date
WOLF(mid-cloaked)(SDCC08)
BERSEKER(SDCC10)
JH(TRU/SCDD11)
CH(SDCC12)

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Apr 28, 2015, 04:21:00 AM
I wonder if they'll remake the Spiked Tail Predator.  I know it violates everything about canon, but they could possibly make something cool out of it.  Maybe it could be a Predator that was captured and experimented on by the Engineers.

It actually is his dreadlocks. its just in a long braid with a mace on the end.

LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

my SEGA GEN CH arrived today

very cool, NECA killed it again, love the paint apps
pick up another JH as well

my NES RUNNER is on its way too

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed