Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED

Started by Nukiemorph, Dec 10, 2020, 11:03:29 PM

Author
Alien TV Series From Noah Hawley and Ridley Scott CONFIRMED (Read 206,245 times)

kwisatz

Quote from: Trash Queen on Jun 21, 2021, 10:30:44 PM
Are you insinuating something?

Out of the question!

BlueMarsalis79

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

One director that I do fully expect to pop up for at least one episode of this show's run is Sergio Mimica-Gezzan. He directed some exceptional episodes of Battlestar Galactica (and Ron Moore must have quite liked working with him there, as he's been back directing for Moore again on For All Mankind, which I intend to start watching soon), and also has history with shows produced by Ridley Scott, as he directed a few episodes of The Terror and every episode of The Pillars of the Earth (both of which I have not seen) as well as two very strong episodes of the first season of Raised By Wolves.

He also directed the Ridley Scott-produced Halo: Nightfall... but that was really bad and it is best to pretend that that one just doesn't exist. :D

Immortan Jonesy

I haven't seen The Pillars of the Earth, but The Terror is one of the best works Scott Free has been involved in. If anyone can write scripts like that for a science fiction series, the final result could be quite nice.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 21, 2021, 10:33:07 PMEdit ~ Blomkamp is in the second list.  ;D

Blomkamp's an excellent director for an Alien movie, I just don't really want him anywhere near writing it.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 22, 2021, 07:21:20 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 21, 2021, 10:33:07 PMEdit ~ Blomkamp is in the second list.  ;D

Blomkamp's an excellent director for an Alien movie, I just don't really want him anywhere near writing it.

Given the trajectory of his career thus far, I don't think Blomkamp really has any intention of directing anything that he isn't at minimum co-writing. He's gone on record in interviews in the past stating that being on set is his least favorite part of the filmmaking process, as it is where he feels the most constrained by schedule and other sources beyond his control, whereas writing and editing are the stages in development where he's much more creatively free and at home with what he's doing. Seems to him that the on set directing process is just kind of the obligatory stage in the middle of that.

Given his mentality there, I don't think that directing someone else's material where he had no hand in the script is something he'd ever really do.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 22, 2021, 07:21:20 AM

I tend to have this opinion also.

Voodoo Magic

HuDaFuK

I find it funny when people rag on Ridley for his prequels but laud Blomkamp for his proposed movie, because in my mind they're both very similar as directors - excellent when it comes to visual style but sorely lacking in the script department. (I know Ridley doesn't write his movies, but by all accounts he was heavily involved in the process for both Prometheus and Covenant, and he's proven several times in his career that his eye for a good script is less than reliable.)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

For me, in this particular scenario, it all really boils down to me personally finding the ideas Ridley was exploring at the core of Covenant to be much more interesting than the ideas that Blomkamp was looking to explore in his film.

Prometheus' script is a damn mess, but I actually find Covenant's to be quite strong (barring the third act mini Alien remake on the ship), and both benefit further from Ridley's vision behind the camera.

I think I'd probably be cool with a Blomkamp Alien film, and I find his career and his stylistic tendencies in general to be quite interesting (I really like both District 9 and Chappie, and Elysium is interesting in its theme and visuals despite its rampant structural and narrative issues). I just don't think I would have liked the particular Alien film he was looking to make.

I still maintain that him losing out on doing a Robocop sequel is a much bigger loss than him not doing an Aliens sequel.

skhellter

skhellter

A lot of the ideas that Ridley was exploring only worked due to John Logan executing them.

And Logan doesn't seem to be involved with Ridley's future Alien work...

so what are the chances of Ridley delivering something as bad as Prometheus...

And Luke Scott doesn't exactly inspire trust..

Nightmare Asylum

Given John Logan's.... history..... perhaps he can resurrect a certain clone already baked into the story of the Alien franchise. ;)

Spoiler

Same costume designer that did Ripley 8's costume as well, I believe.

[close]

seattle24

MudButt

Sounds interesting! Looks like filming starts in Spring 2022 so we should get late 2022 or early 2023.

I can see this being a November/December release.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: seattle24 on Jul 01, 2021, 03:43:38 PM
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/07/alien-tv-series-noah-hawley

Fresh info. Sounding promising in my opinion.

Well shit. Actual details.

Nice to hear Alien 3 and Fincher actually getting a shout out by Hawley. Still not thrilled about the idea to set it on Earth but I intend to go in as open-minded as possible, and the core premise definitely strikes a chord within this franchise.

Humanity caught between a primordial past and an AI future is also an interesting bit of phrasing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed