Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 280,207 times)

426Buddy

Glad I'm not getting these.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Holy shit how is this happening. :D

Looks like James Stokoe has been doing some work for Marvel. I wish they'd drop the hack "drawing" this comic and get Stokoe on instead.

https://twitter.com/HeGotGronch/status/1397840281500676098

BlueMarsalis79

Beautiful artwork by James Stokoe as per usual.

Engineer

Oh man I would love to see Stokoe come back!

I always thought it would be cool to see him do a more aliens-oriented story, like his original pitch for dead orbit, but then have it end with a run-down ship escaping an overrun colony world headed for sphacteria (thus telling us the story about where that ship came from in dead orbit).

BlueMarsalis79

I miss the unique styles each artist brought to the table in Dark Horse a lot, especially now, Marvel's homogeneous look to the universe I do not appreciate.

Engineer

Stokoe and Tristan Jones are my two favorite, more recent artists to dive into the alien series.

I'd gladly wait a year between issues and pay like 10x as much per issue to have Tristan Jones back, with his level of detail and thoughtfulness added to every panel, rather than the monthly issues that are currently being made.

I'm a fan of marvel, honestly. I'm just not happy about the creative team they've put on this series.

judge death

judge death

Quote from: Engineer on May 27, 2021, 08:11:35 PM
Stokoe and Tristan Jones are my two favorite, more recent artists to dive into the alien series.

I'd gladly wait a year between issues and pay like 10x as much per issue to have Tristan Jones back, with his level of detail and thoughtfulness added to every panel, rather than the monthly issues that are currently being made.

I'm a fan of marvel, honestly. I'm just not happy about the creative team they've put on this series.
Take my money! That is what I want, rather than pushed out single magazines, prefer volumes myself^^
Tristian jones or those who drew earth war or aliens vs predator thicker than blood etc or Stokoe, they were great and loved their art :D

Nukiemorph

I'm half expecting to see that the goat things were swiped too. They look familiar... but I may just be thinking of the space lammas from Last Jedi.

Corporal Hicks

Really hope they go with a new artist once this arc is up.

Engineer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2021, 09:23:49 PM
Really hope they go with a new artist once this arc is up.
Amen!

Nightmare Asylum

Same. There are so many great artists in the comic industry at large, and in Marvel's own circle of artists. Some of Marvel's current books look gorgeous. There's no excuse for this tracing crap we're getting here, beyond the whole "can't miss a deadline!" mentality. From what I can tell, Marvel's Star Wars comics are dealing with the same exact thing...

I'd be much happier to wait longer between issues for higher quality work. I feel like I can't even properly judge the writing in this run thus far, because I am so distracted by the quality (or lack thereof) of the "art." :-X

Hey, Marvel, you know your licensed books don't have to have this excruciatingly bland attempt at a photorealistic style to them, right?

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 27, 2021, 09:59:12 PM

Same. There are so many great artists in the comic industry at large, and in Marvel's own circle of artists. Some of Marvel's current books look gorgeous. There's no excuse for this tracing crap we're getting here, beyond the whole "can't miss a deadline!" mentality. From what I can tell, Marvel's Star Wars comics are dealing with the same exact thing...

I'd be much happier to wait longer between issues for higher quality work. I feel like I can't even properly judge the writing in this run thus far, because I am so distracted by the quality (or lack thereof) of the "art." :-X

Hey, Marvel, you know your licensed books don't have to have this excruciatingly bland attempt at a photorealistic style to them, right?

Oh I can judge the writing!! It's amateurish and terrible imo.

I cannot begin to describe my frustrations that the writer uses the term "xenomorph" as if it were the species name 🙄 and correct me if I'm wrong but never once has the facehugger been referred to as the "facehugger" in-universe, right? It's always been a fan-nickname not an in-universe name. That stuff, and the recent interview I saw with the writer suggesting that none of the dark horse comics had any "connective tissue" makes me think he really doesn't know the alien series as well as he should if he's going to be writing it...

As for the story itself, I haven't seen him do anything new or noteworthy with it yet... the alpha? How many "alpha" aliens have we had in the past, even the recent past? This alpha just seems like a re-hash of the queen-mother from dark horse's original trilogy. Secret labs experimenting with the alien? That's been done to death. A man having a troubled relationship with his son? Well, that hasn't been done in alien yet I don't think, but it's not exactly an original angle that we all can't look at and predict where that's going...

I want better art, because for comics 50% of the story telling is visual in nature and no matter how good the story is written, it'll suffer from bad artwork. But I also want a better writer; the current writer has not impressed me so far, and I'm not talking about doing something 100% original to impress me; dead orbit was impressive but didn't exactly do anything groundbreaking itself. I just want someone writing it who understands details like "facehugger" was never an in-universe name and who can get me invested in a not-so-groundbreaking story thats told expertly-well like Stokoe did with dead orbit. They have the talent for this at marvel, they just didn't put the right creators on the job for it.

SM

SM

'Facehugger' (or 'face-hugger') isn't fan-nickname.  It was used by the crew during production of the first film, and has been used ever since - though not in dialogue in any of the films.  Cameron used it in the Aliens script and Foster used it in the novelisation.  It's been used throughout the EU for decades and up to and including a number of the recent books (eg. Cold Forge, Origins, Infiltrator).

Xiggz456

"Xenomorphs" have also been used in countless stories. Pretty sure Brian Wood had Davis "come up" with the name Xenomorph in both Defiance and Resistance as if Zula forgot the name the first time they came up with it  :laugh:

Engineer

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 28, 2021, 01:15:28 AM
"Xenomorphs" have also been used in countless stories. Pretty sure Brian Wood had Davis "come up" with the name Xenomorph in both Defiance and Resistance as if Zula forgot the name the first time they came up with it  :laugh:

It's a pet peeve. I hate it when the term is used like a species name. I stand by my perspective though; the writer on the marvel series isn't doing a good job.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed