MPAA & "Hard R" Rating

Started by Darkness, Mar 12, 2007, 07:33:06 PM

Author
MPAA & "Hard R" Rating (Read 20,357 times)

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

First of all, Darkness, don't pretend to know me...second, this is all a misunderstanding from your part, not mine...! All I was saying was that you don't know what the deleted scenes IN THE SCRIPT were, not the deleted scenes IN THE MOVIE! You saw all those scenes that said 'Scene XX deleted'...Do you know what they were? That was all I was saying, not that you didn't know what scenes FILMED didn't make the final cut...That we all know by now, thanks to you... SO, instead of making threats, just ask whatever seems fuzzy to you, OK? I don't like threats, especially based on misunderstandings...But if you still want to enforce them, then by all means, do it...it will just make the wrong impression about you, not me...  You DO know that you're not the owner of the truth, right...?

Darkness

Darkness

Who cares what scenes were in the script or not? The point is AvP wasn't R-Rated to begin with. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Darkness, it is not hard for me to understand..i am just crossing sources of information, nothing more...I am just taking into account what Paul Anderson said...not in 2003, but in 2004...statements that he never retracted in the first place...so you prefer some sources, i prefer others...that is all...and i explained why i had suspicions about what he said in 2003 and why i think he was genuine weeks after AVP premiered...

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

And If the movie never was R-rated in the first place, whose fault is this? PWA? I don't think so...

Darkness

Darkness

Right, here's the proof once and for all: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OAFV3VT7  Interview with Paul Anderson in October 2004. He says the previous reports were fake and says that there was never any R-Rated footage to begin with.   And it's not about sources. This is common knowledge and has been for a long time.

Danger Close

Danger Close

I followed the production of AVP 1 and have to admit, I was always under the impression that AVP 1 was a PG-13 film from the start. I am not saying I KNOW, but from a fan who payed close attention, My understanding from the start was that it was a PG-13 film and was never intended to be R. It was a PG-13 film because there was little human death and more alien death. The R rating would have come in if there was more RED BLOOD. As for AVP 2, I think there will be plenty of human deaths invoved, ergo the R rating. Not gory like SAW, but i think we will see a healthy cross between ALIENS and PREDATOR.

topman

topman

the link is'nt working on mine. i really wanna hear what he said! its annoying that Mr Anderson would make AVP like this! why!!!!!! he annoys me cause most of his movie apart from maybe Event Horizon, were all awful! so called fan, my butt!!!

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

So, that is why Paul Anderson is not guilty of every sin committed while producing AVP...The rating is not his choice, but the studio's...the script only gets the greenlight from the studio, not on PWA's whim...and the movie is not that bad, once you put it into perspective...This is not Shakespeare, nor is it Schindler's List...that is why i actually started to enjoy this more...And I am not a fanboy, although i have seen Pred 1 and 2 and the Alien 3+1 many times...I enjoyed more ones than others, but one thing I have learned after all these years is that cutting back the criticism and actually enjoy the movie for what it aims and is...that is why I said that Pred I and II are different from Alien 3+1 and both differ from AVP in many ways /namely the budget) and all differ from mainstream Hollywood... You can't compare this movie with Alien or Predator, it is a movie-spectacle just to see the advancements in animatronics, prothetics, and visual effects, not to get an amazing story...if they failed this with twice the budget and better directors and screenwriters on movies that matter more (ALIEN and PREDATOR) why do you think this lower budget movie, cast of unknowns, would prevail where the better ones failed...?

topman

topman

i've always had a feeling bout this movie going completely wrong in my eyes, ever since they appointed Anderson but i do agree with you RIJOENPIAL that the studio has the final say in this matter. BUT how can you say that all we want to see is damn animatronics, prothetics, and visual effects! thats not what most of the fans wanted, sure there has to be an improvement in the visual effects but we want a good story as well!! what so hard about that! with the right writers this could have been a pretty good movie!

Darkness

Darkness

Topman - Link works for me. Anyway, the video is from FilmFocus.co.uk but you need to be a registered member so I uploaded it to MegaUpload for people to view.  RIJOENPIAL - Anderson isn't exactly blame-free in all this. He wrote the film as PG13. In the script, it even makes reference to "PG13 Friendly...". He knew that was the only way Fox would ever make AvP - if it would be guaranteed to make a lot of money.   I don't know but I was expecting a lot more from AvP and so was a lot of other people. It's funny how you have no hope at all for AvP2. It isn't very hard to make a better film than what Anderson did.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Darkness, I apologise for i was writing while you were posting...I am still downloading...but I again repeat that the Rating is the Studio's department, not the director/screenwriter's...I think that for the most maintream audience, a movie featuring an ALien and a Predator fighting each other will not attract them the way it will the fans...and that is why i think it is very unfair for you to judge Paul Anderson blaming him for everything that went wrong in the movie... That is my main concern...A spectator that watches a Resident Evil, or an ALien versus Predator, with that demanding agenda, will never enjoy watching any of them...The studios' idea of what we want intermingles with what they want us to see...and that is why they gave us an AVP rated PG-13...They know that the hardcore fans of both franchises want it bloody and gutsy, but they want to attract the mainstream audiences, especially kids, probably to sell more merchandising...That is all they are aiming at, revenue...and PWA is not the one to blame for that...I also enjoyed Resident Evil for the exact same reasons, it is not Shakespeare, but it sure entertains...    ;D  

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

I tend to distinguish between summer popcorn movies and real Hollywood movies like Braveheart, SChindler's List and so on and so forth... This is nothing more than a popcorn movie and apparently the brass from Fox agrees with me...You don't see a Jim Cameron agreeing to do a movie like this or a Steven Spielberg or an Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) writing this kind of movie? Why is that? Do you think Fox doesn't know a good script when they see one? Or lowering expectations is just part of their plan, knowing full well that an ALien 5 or a Predator 3 is long overdue in the minds and hearts of the fans? They know all this, but they choose to make two AVP movies in a matter of 2, 3 years...why?because they don't want to make another big budget Alien or Pred after the debacle of Alien Resurrection! Plain and simple...and the reason they are doing AVP is to capitalise on us, 'fans', not to broaden the A and P mythos...

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Sorry about me monopolising the board...so much to say, so little space..   ;D   ... but i will end soon enough...just wanted to say this: The reasosn why i foresee AVP2's demise is right there in front of our eyes: the small town setting, the huggers from nowhere, the excessive hype and too high expectations (or too low, if people just want a better script than Anderson's to be contented...these are your own words there, Darkness), the dangerous implications to Alien continuity much more dangerous than AVP's... And the cast, so badly cast, that makes me want to cry...This cast (and, of course, Shane SaLerno) is more than enough proof that Fox is not aiming at all at a better story, but at a better profit...low budget cast, virtually unknown and weak, directors making their debut flick and completely arrogant about it... what's not to like about AVP2...?

Danger Close

Danger Close

I don't think the hype on this movie is high, for now only the fans even really know about it. This franchise is about to redeam itself, just you wait. These new directors have a good understanding and are monitering sites like this for feedback. The whole small town thing may be a rouse just to through us fans off. It was filmed in Vancouver, a 3 million + city. How small a town could it be with filming locations like that. If it is a small town we may be faced with some kick ass scenes in the woods, ie same filming locations as in Underworld 2. The point is that the Strause Bros. realize the mistakes made by the first one, now they have a strong reference to what the fans want and they have the freedom within the R rating to do what they want. FOX may have been leary with the first film, and kept it PG and popcorny. Now that FOX knows people will go see AVP and that a hardcore film can make money,the fun can start.

BiggyMac04

BiggyMac04

i  think it is gay that you need to be over 17 and you cant have an adult with you if your under age..but i love it when its on DVD

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed