Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,655 times)

janenad

janenad

I always enjoy these podcasts, keep em up.  :)
I also liked these comics, but if we exclude the Prometheus one, all the others have shown the xenos as incompetent! :'( The colonists surviving so long in Aliens:FaS not to mention stabbing a xeno with a makeshift spear, in AVP:FaS not a single predator was killed or even heavily injured by a xeno, in Predator:FaS we see piles of hundreds of xenos that are obviously no threat to the Engineer who doesn't even have his gun from Prometheus:FaS anymore and the Omega had a fat Queen who died after one head stab and doing almost no damage apart from a bit of her acid. At least the Prometheus comic showed them as deadly, mostly.

For future comics, Dark Horse, please remember: aliens are not stupid fodder bugs! As simple as that. I liked Elden, though I understand why some others don't. The AVP comic was off, that needs to go in a new direction in the future as others have said already.
I mostly enjoyed Predator:FaS and Prometheus:FaS.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 20, 2015, 06:25:47 PM
Another fine effort. Agreed AVP was the weakest. Clearly someone was a Resident Evil fan as Elden looked very similat to the Type T-001 Tyrant and I believe some of the final survivors were a couple named Chris and Jill which was another reference.

After looking that up...

Some definite artistic similarities.

Perfect-Organism

The "Deacon turns into a mountain" motif is either one of the best sci-fi twists in years or the worst.  After thinking about it, I would suggest that a portion of the Engineers genetic skills is also geared towards "architecture".  In much the same way as Engineers grow their ships (as has been the classical understanding) perhaps the deacon was building a structure of sorts.  However, the Deacon was just random DNA with no proper architectural intent (a building or a spaceship) so it just grew a random mountain.  That's the only explanation I could think of and it has some interesting implications.  Perhaps the mounds (with human heads on top no less) found on LV-223 which house the juggernauts were living things which grew the juggernauts?

Xenomorphine

Interesting theory.

Ultramorph

I like that idea about the pyramids and the Deacon a lot.

Perfect-Organism

Thanks Guys.  It kind of puts a very different spin on the notion of terraforming doesn't it?  Does that affect the bet between Mr. Chance and Mr. Revelle?

Weylan

Weylan

The entire Fire and Stone series was a masterpiece. Absolutely loved it. 5/5

Engineer

Engineer

Thanks for the podcast guys! I haven't read fire and stone yet, but I didn't care too much about the potential spoilers during the podcast... Otherwise I wouldn't have listened to it yet. :-)

But now, after listening, I have one very BIG burning question/favor to ask:

One of the reasons I haven't picked up and read fire and stone yet was because I was waiting for the inevitable graphic novel to collect each issue into one big book, and I perked up when you guys mentioned that it's on the way... Does anyone know exactly when that's releasing? Or have any idea about the cost? I apologize if the release date was mentioned in the podcast, I might have missed that...

Also, as a little side note, I'd be curios to find out if Titan's upcoming "rage war" series will reference or tie in with Fire and Stone! I wouldn't be that surprised given that fox has put more effort into keeping the stories more cohesive lately.

Corporal Hicks

It's September/October time, I believe.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Prometheus: The Complete Fire and Stone comes out on October 21st. Dark Horse has a list price of $49.99, but Amazon has it for $35 with a release date of November 5th.
http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/25-651/Prometheus-The-Complete-Fire-and-Stone-HC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616557729?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 02:09:36 AM
Also, as a little side note, I'd be curios to find out if Titan's upcoming "rage war" series will reference or tie in with Fire and Stone! I wouldn't be that surprised given that fox has put more effort into keeping the stories more cohesive lately.
I'm hoping for some small references, as well, or maybe a pit stop on LV-223 at some point.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 21, 2015, 03:28:18 PM
Perhaps the mounds (with human heads on top no less) found on LV-223 which house the juggernauts were living things which grew the juggernauts?
Another cool thing about that idea is that it sort of reinforces the idea that the storm that kicks up shortly after the Prometheus crew enters the pyramid wasn't just random, but rather a reaction to their presence. The idea of the Engineers bio-mechanically terraforming the planet into one massive life form definitely helps explain what the Engineer in Fire and Stone was doing: tending the garden.

SM

SM

But there are storms visible from orbit long before they land, Janek comments on the rough weather during the landing, nothing when they set down, one storm overnight, then nothing for the rest of the day; and nothing again a week later when Shaw and David leave.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Expanding upon the idea that organisms are able to turn into rock formations, perhaps the big human head sculpture that we see inside the complex is not at all a sculpture but rather an actual Engineer that sacrificed himself and grew into the complex, literally becoming the pyramid.  The idea of self-sacrifice seems to be a part of the engineer mythos..

Also, if I remember correctly, we see Elden merge with the wall of the mountain.  He takes the same pose as the mural in the film.  Perhaps that mural was not really a mural but something along the lines of an Alien who happened to press up against the wall?

I just re-read the Aliens series.  It really helps when you're not reading things by jumping from series to series.  It was actually a very enjoyable series.  I realized what it was that struck me as "lazy" when it came to the artwork.  Many of the panels just show an image of the character and the background is not inked in at all.  If this was a black and white book it would look totally incomplete.  But maybe that was the intention so that the colorist's paint-work could shine.  So it's not lazy at all.  In truth, the colorist is quite adept at what he is doing.  The painting is quite rich.  I'm still not a big fan of the palette used, but it was done very well.  I think this book would have benefitted from having a black background outside the panels instead of white.  That was what really helped make Den Beauvais' art pop out.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 24, 2015, 02:59:04 PM
Also, if I remember correctly, we see Elden merge with the wall of the mountain.  He takes the same pose as the mural in the film.  Perhaps that mural was not really a mural but something along the lines of an Alien who happened to press up against the wall?

That was definitely one of my favorite parts of Omega because it raises so many questions about what was going on and what it means for the mural in the film.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 24, 2015, 02:59:04 PM
Expanding upon the idea that organisms are able to turn into rock formations, perhaps the big human head sculpture that we see inside the complex is not at all a sculpture but rather an actual Engineer that sacrificed himself and grew into the complex, literally becoming the pyramid.  The idea of self-sacrifice seems to be a part of the engineer mythos..

Another idea: the skull on the pyramid is at the end of an elongated, pointy head, a lot like Elden's, and the skull faces are pretty similar. Just raises more interesting possibilities about what Elden was becoming, and if there had been ones like him before.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 23, 2015, 07:55:46 PM
Another cool thing about that idea is that it sort of reinforces the idea that the storm that kicks up shortly after the Prometheus crew enters the pyramid wasn't just random, but rather a reaction to their presence. The idea of the Engineers bio-mechanically terraforming the planet into one massive life form definitely helps explain what the Engineer in Fire and Stone was doing: tending the garden.

Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2015, 12:52:06 AM
But there are storms visible from orbit long before they land, Janek comments on the rough weather during the landing, nothing when they set down, one storm overnight, then nothing for the rest of the day; and nothing again a week later when Shaw and David leave.

It was originally intended that the completely natural storm would follow the dawn/dusk terminator line. Similar to what we saw on Crematoria in Chronicles of Riddick.

SM

SM

Not that different to Alien then.  The storm on LV-426 abates at sunrise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed