Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 132,773 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bb-15 on Oct 15, 2020, 11:49:33 AM
Spoiler
On another website someone asked if the title was a Romulus and Remus reference?

Imo it could be. Ridley likes to play with multiple references in much of his science fiction.

Here is an article which explores the Romulus and Remus idea in the series.
https://screenrant.com/raised-wolves-show-paul-campion-romulus-remus-myth-connection/
[close]

;)

Yeah, we were speculating about the the Remus/Romulus connection years ago while they were still filming this. See beginning of this thread.

bb-15

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 06, 2019, 09:57:10 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Sep 06, 2019, 06:47:25 PM
Sol or sol Invictus was the sun god of the later Roman Empire and the patron of soldiers and there was as a connection between it's emperors especially Aurelian, Rome's philosopher emperor.

Having done a bit more reading on the subject, it looks like there were two versions of that religion. "Sol" was a much earlier version while "Sol Invictus" was the more modern version popularized by Emperor Aurelian.

According to Roman sources, the worship of Sol was introduced shortly after the foundation of Rome. And the popular foundation myth of Rome says that the city was founded by Romulus and Remus, twins who were raised by a she-wolf as infants.

I knew about the Romulus and Remus mythology.
I appreciate the information about the early Roman religion which I did not know about.

In the press interviews before the release of "Prometheus", Ridley Scott mentioned the Roman Empire as part of the backstory for that film.

Spoiler
It seems, Scott continued to think about the Roman Empire as part of the basis for a science fiction story. Only in "Raised by Wolves" he was able to more clearly mesh the ideas from the Roman past (in terms of religion) with a futuristic story.
[close]

;)

Effectz

So I finally got through watching season 1 and enjoyed it. Some questions though

Spoiler
so those humanoids on Kepler thaught the mithraic to create the dark photon  through their scripture And what the he'll was the head thing they were all standing around that's inside the box thing.
[close]

bb-15

Quote from: Effectz on Oct 17, 2020, 12:16:03 AM
So I finally got through watching season 1 and enjoyed it. Some questions though

Spoiler
so those humanoids on Kepler (taught) the mithraic to create the dark photon through their scripture
[close]

Spoiler
"According to Carl, a Mithraic medical android, the instructions to build necromancers were allegedly found in ancient Mithraic scripture. They make use of a technology based on "dark photons", which were supposedly discovered as a result of messages encoded in Mithraic scripture."
https://raised-by-wolves.fandom.com/wiki/Necromancer
[close]

Quote from: Effectz on Oct 17, 2020, 12:16:03 AM
Spoiler
And what the (hell) was the head thing they were all standing around that's inside the box thing.
[close]

Spoiler
"Right before Mother gives birth to her child, we see flashbacks to an earlier period on the planet where some sort of creature is being held inside a box and is leaking android fluid out of its nose. Guzikowski illuminated what that meant, and how it was foreshadowing what was about to happen to Mother:

'Basically, when she has that dream and she sees that thing and that weird kind of helmet robot head thing, and the fuel blood starts gushing out of the front of it, kind of the nozzle on the front, what that is, there is actually an android inside of that. It's sort of like a birthing prison sort of thing.'"

https://collider.com/raised-by-wolves-finale-ending-explained-hbo-max/
[close]

I think that's enough info for now. I don't want to spoil too much including for me. Ha ha!

;)

Ingwar

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I was wondering how they did that bit where Marcus cuts up his own face. Interesting how some things I thought were practical effects turned out to be CGI while some things I thought were CGI, turned out to be practical.

Ingwar

Yeah, that's why I cannot wait for Blu-ray release with its extras ... if that's gonna happen anyway.

Nightmare Asylum

Please let it happen. I like HBO Max, I'm going to be sticking around with it for a while, but if I like something, I want to have a proper release on my shelf.

Le Celticant

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 28, 2020, 03:35:52 PM
I was wondering how they did that bit where Marcus cuts up his own face. Interesting how some things I thought were practical effects turned out to be CGI while some things I thought were CGI, turned out to be practical.

Truth is Practical are in a tough spot today because Cameras and lenses have become so good at rendering very fine details.
You'll often sees DP go for diffusion filter to soften the sharpness and come back a softer "film like" curve.
But Ridley doesn't do that, he likes the clinical high precision image.
What was forgiving as practical (because of scale, details...) has now become very noticeable as props.

In terms of using all the tool at his disposal, Ridley's a master and probably one of the finest with Scorsese in my opinion.
His use of Matte painting are a joy for the eye and VFX are always there to enchance the narrative, not purely for the eye candy.
He knows the strength and weakness of both medium and always surround himself with an amazing team.

Ridlazz921

Yeah its true, we see a lot of vintage lenses and soft filters on Digital cameras to not get that hard sharp digital look.
The reason i think Ridley doesnt do that is that he have shoot on film for so long, and he sued those lenses when they were new. So he looks forward rather then look back.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Apparently there is a RBW art book. This one was given to one of the Collider editors as a promotional item, but I'm not sure if it will be released commercially:

Ingwar

Kradan

Watched the whole thing through

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 18, 2020, 03:33:19 PM
Apparently there is a RBW art book. This one was given to one of the Collider editors as a promotional item, but I'm not sure if it will be released commercially:

Oh man, I would love for this thing to get a wide release. Great stuff here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed