Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 131,025 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Indeed!  :laugh:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2020, 05:43:44 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 06, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
Spoiler
I missed an exploration of the topic of religion vs atheism. I think that was superficially addressed. I don't know if it will be suitable for the show, as Mother is among the most interesting, but maybe using Caleb's past (or the real Marcus) as a plot device they can achieve that. The creator of Mother also seems ideal to explore that theme.
[close]

Spoiler
I wouldn't be shocked to see the original Campion step off of that Atheist Ark we saw in the finale - perhaps with another reprogrammed Necromancer played by Amanda Collin alongside him...
[close]

That would be superb  8)

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 06, 2020, 05:36:10 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 06, 2020, 05:31:49 PM
Aye. Among other things, milkblood Androids are definitely a trope thanks to Ridley.

Speaking about milk ...

https://mashable.com/article/ridley-scott-milk-fetish-raised-by-wolves-alien/?europe=true

Putting milk in Ash's prop was a great idea. An interesting and related thing is that even though the inclusion of the android was thanks to David Giler & Walter Hill, Scott already had thought that Ash would not be human at all!

Quote from: via Strange ShapesIn addition to that, Ridley seemed to confirm that Ash's (in)humanity was in the air from the beginning; at one point, he could have been an alien himself. "We could have had a Martian in the crew," Ridley explained. "He's not much different [from the other crew], perhaps just slightly waxy skin and two small holes in his head. Biological changes rather than mechanical ones." However Ridley found his alien-Ash idea quickly nixed: "I was, to a certain extent, held down by my producers. They didn't know me from Adam, so they tried to keep things in balance. Alone I would have done more."

The Android

And speaking of milk
Spoiler
, I'm still confused by the milk that came out of the Jockey-looking dodecahedron  :-\
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 06, 2020, 06:22:20 PM
And speaking of milk
Spoiler
, I'm still confused by the milk that came out of the Jockey-looking dodecahedron  :-\
[close]

Spoiler
My take on this is that that was some ancient android that was undergoing the same process as Mother at some point in the past (meaning that it was an ancient android native to Kepler-22b) but it wasn't a successful birth. The milky blood spewing out must be the result of a stillbirth of sorts. The cloaked, native ancient humans were gathered around watching, seemingly in hopes that a serpent would be born.

I think in one interview Guzikowski referred to the Jockey helmet as a "birthing helmet" and looking at it again, the front opening is perfectly round, the perfect shape for a serpent to emerge from. The helmet probably prys the android's mouth open to make the serpent birth easier.
[close]

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 01, 2020, 10:17:35 PM
What the hell did I just watch?  :laugh: I have some questions  :-X

Spoiler
Father said that Neanderthal humanoids are due to biological devolution on Kepler-22b. So maybe...
[close]

I think you have found a crucial part to the backstory of the planet.

Spoiler
In theory with this science fiction idea of devolution, a civilization can be very developed in the past.
We can assume from the imagery of the dodecahedron with the white android fluid flowing out, that this ancient civilization was at least as advanced as the one brought to the planet by the main characters. I assume with the telepathy from the planet that the ancient civilization was more advanced compared with the new arrivals.

This is classic serious science-fiction. The concept of devolution is critical to the HG Wells novel, "The Time Machine".
And the idea of a dead super civilization, which is only survived by it's machines, is central to the very influential science-fiction film "Forbidden Planet".
[close]

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

:laugh:

Spoiler
Since these non-terrestrial Neanderthals are suspiciously similar, I'll assume Scott Free owns the Engineer blueprint  lol

[close]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2020, 06:35:15 PM
And speaking of milk
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
My take on this is that that was some ancient android that was undergoing the same process as Mother at some point in the past (meaning that it was an ancient android native to Kepler-22b) but it wasn't a successful birth. The milky blood spewing out must be the result of a stillbirth of sorts. The cloaked, native ancient humans were gathered around watching, seemingly in hopes that a serpent would be born.

I think in one interview Guzikowski referred to the Jockey helmet as a "birthing helmet" and looking at it again, the front opening is perfectly round, the perfect shape for a serpent to emerge from. The helmet probably prys the android's mouth open to make the serpent birth easier.
[close]

Spoiler
Man, this whole ritual thing reminds me of Dan O'bannon's early ideas on reproductive ritual in order to create the beast.

But at the same time it makes me think that David could have become the Space Jockey. Perhaps the key ingredient for the Biomechanical Alien is Androids. But surely you have already thought about that  ;)
[close]

Quote from: bb-15 on Oct 06, 2020, 11:00:52 PM

Spoiler
Father said that Neanderthal humanoids are due to biological devolution on Kepler-22b. So maybe...
[close]

Spoiler
In theory with this science fiction idea of devolution, a civilization can be very developed in the past.
We can assume from the imagery of the dodecahedron with the white android fluid flowing out, that this ancient civilization was at least as advanced as the one brought to the planet by the main characters. I assume with the telepathy from the planet that the ancient civilization was more advanced compared with the new arrivals.

This is classic serious science-fiction. The concept of devolution is critical to the HG Wells novel, "The Time Machine".
And the idea of a dead super civilization, which is only survived by it's machines, is central to the very influential science-fiction film "Forbidden Planet".
[close]

Spoiler
Giger thought in a similar way about LV-426's bakcstory. The biomechanical civilization covered by magma as a result of a large-scale disaster.

On the other hand, one can feel a sense of anachronism in Alien Covenant. That dead necropilis; Hellenic on the outside, and totemic on the inside. And yet;  its inhabitants were capable of traveling through space billions of years before humans, not to mention that they are their creators. In the expansion of the Kardashev scale, a Type II-minus civilization:

Quote from: Wikipediacapable of manipulating genes and altering the development of living things, transplanting or replacing parts of themselves, reading and engineering their genetic code ...

However, what we see in Raised by Wolves is some kind of ancient AI of unknown origin. Arguably an almighty alien intelligence.

I dig the comparison. But at the same time, it's arguably the in between Forbidden Planet & Metropolis.

Among other things of course  ;D
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 07, 2020, 12:05:37 AM
Spoiler
But at the same time it makes me think that David could have become the Space Jockey. Perhaps the key ingredient for the Biomechanical Alien is Androids. But surely you have already thought about that  ;)
[close]

I would honestly be shocked if that wasn't Scott's plan for the endgame in his prequels.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 07, 2020, 12:37:18 AM
Spoiler
[close]

I would honestly be shocked if that wasn't Scott's plan for the endgame in his prequels.

That would be going back to the original purpose, when it was an Alien prequel.

You know. Before switching to an original space odyssey, then to an Alien free Alien space odyssey:

The never told story of the guy in the chair  :laugh:

Edit: Just saying these words gives me chills or something. And I don't know whether is good chills or bad chills  :-X

Nightmare Asylum

Would a joke, perhaps, alleviate your chills?

Stolen

How many episode tomorrow?

;D

Ingwar

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 07, 2020, 04:43:28 AM

Would a joke, perhaps, alleviate your chills?

Go ahead with that!  :laugh:

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: via Strange ShapesIn addition to that, Ridley seemed to confirm that Ash's (in)humanity was in the air from the beginning; at one point, he could have been an alien himself. "We could have had a Martian in the crew," Ridley explained. "He's not much different [from the other crew], perhaps just slightly waxy skin and two small holes in his head. Biological changes rather than mechanical ones." However Ridley found his alien-Ash idea quickly nixed: "I was, to a certain extent, held down by my producers. They didn't know me from Adam, so they tried to keep things in balance. Alone I would have done more."

:laugh: Well, he eventually did get to make an entire movie about a Martian.

bb-15

:laugh:

Spoiler
Since these non-terrestrial Neanderthals are suspiciously similar, I'll assume Scott Free owns the Engineer blueprint  lol

[close]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 06, 2020, 06:35:15 PM
And speaking of milk
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Man, this whole ritual thing reminds me of Dan O'bannon's early ideas on reproductive ritual in order to create the beast.

[close]

Quote from: bb-15 on Oct 06, 2020, 11:00:52 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Giger thought in a similar way about LV-426's bakcstory. The biomechanical civilization covered by magma as a result of a large-scale disaster.

On the other hand, one can feel a sense of anachronism in Alien Covenant. That dead necropilis; Hellenic on the outside, and totemic on the inside. And yet;  its inhabitants were capable of traveling through space billions of years before humans, not to mention that they are their creators. In the expansion of the Kardashev scale, a Type II-minus civilization:

Quote from: Wikipediacapable of manipulating genes and altering the development of living things, transplanting or replacing parts of themselves, reading and engineering their genetic code ...

However, what we see in Raised by Wolves is some kind of ancient AI of unknown origin. Arguably an almighty alien intelligence.

I dig the comparison. But at the same time, it's arguably the in between Forbidden Planet & Metropolis.

Among other things of course  ;D
[close]

Spoiler
"Metropolis" is a good addition to the mix of "Forbidden Planet" and imo "The Time Machine". I could add "Solaris".
And your bringing up Giger's Xenomorph origin ideas is a good catch which draws in "Alien". And bringing up "Covenant" (and I'd add "Prometheus") makes sense.
"Raised by Wolves" is juggling so many classic science-fiction ideas from a wide range of influences.
[close]

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I actually prefer Raised by Wolves over Prometheus/Alien:Covenant. It's pretty much the same story, concept and narratives albeit presented in a different way, set in a different universe. Personally I hope that this means that Scott is handing over his Prometheus codex and complex to Raised by Wolves while focusing on wrapping up the Alien prequels in a way that honors the original (ALIEN) in a deserving way.

RidleyScott99

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Oct 08, 2020, 02:30:48 AM
I actually prefer Raised by Wolves over Prometheus/Alien:Covenant. It's pretty much the same story, concept and narratives albeit presented in a different way, set in a different universe. Personally I hope that this means that Scott is handing over his Prometheus codex and complex to Raised by Wolves while focusing on wrapping up the Alien prequels in a way honor the original (ALIEN) in a deserving way.
We don't know if he could wrap up his Prequels. Disney could make a soft reboot with other people. And Ridley Scott loves to work so Ridley Scott isn't waiting for Alien or Disney

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed