Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 132,820 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Ingwar

Ingwar

Prometheus trailer ;D

Also ...

QuoteIt's a brave new world created by Aaron Guzikowski, who says he got the idea when he became a father.

"The big spark that really helped me find my way into this world was the idea of the androids," he says. "And I think it was when I had kids of my own, and just seeing technology kind of encroaching on them, for better or for worse.

"And also myself, just carrying this phone around all the time and just wondering someday maybe this phone is gonna carry ME around. Who knows where this is all going? And what does this mean for my kids?"

British actor Abubakar Salim, who plays the father android, says at first he had no idea how an automaton would act. But he was eased into the role by workshopping the voice and cadence with Scott, who directed the first two episodes.

"We had at least I think a good two or three weeks of rehearsing and working the actual character and making sure that we felt grounded with him," says Salim.

"I mean a lot of that, of the evolution of the paternal instincts and everything came from — I guess for me the way of seeing it was no one really knows how to be a parent the first time, right? So that was what was quite exciting. It's like how does an android — even though they have all this information — know to be a parent even though they have to work off the cuff?"

Scott had examined the script and responded to it, recalls Guzikowski.

"And apparently soon after he had read it, he had just started drawing pictures, storyboarding. So as soon as I had heard that, it was beyond exciting to me ... Before I was even interested in making movies or TV or anything, I was obsessed with the stories that Ridley was telling. So it is a dream. It's been great. And he hasn't disappointed in terms of just his generosity, in terms of just being a great mentor, he's been great."

As for Scott, he relishes the challenge.

"I really do like creating worlds and try and make them as accurately as possible because in a way, it's almost like an additional character," he says.

"I enjoy the rock-and-roll of the whole process of making films and I find it very exciting, and I'm very fortunate to be able to do it and it's a wonderful occupation."

Guzikowski sees a thread between his work and Scott's.

"There was a lot of exchange of DNA between a lot of the mythologies that Ridley has established in the past, and this new story," he says. "But I think a lot of the rules that apply to these androids and the questions that they bring up are similar to going as far back to Ash from 'Alien' in 1977. There are some similarities there."

David W. Zucker, one of the show's producers, says, "Aaron's material came in as a spec (script) and, as Ridley always says, if it's there on the page and he responds to it — which he did with this — then it just begins to gestate in his mind.

"The exciting thing was the first time Aaron and Ridley came together, both of them — being fine artists — Ridley was working on some of his visual inspiration for the piece, and started slowly sharing it with Aaron. And then before we knew it, the two of them were drawing right next to each other and evolving their ideas. So, it was a very exciting sort of collaboration, from start to finish."

Danish actress Amanda Collin was cast as the android mother.

She says the first day on set with Salim, they weren't quite sure what to do.

"Abu and I looked at each other and we're like, 'I think the first scene we're just supposed to walk.' And we looked at each other and we were like, 'How, how do we walk? How do we walk as androids?' And we just walked. And so little by little, stuff came along ... and then you start to incorporate the whole animalistic kind of way of moving, and it was a great joy to just keep discovering the senses of an android."

https://www.therecord.com/ts/entertainment/television/2020/08/17/in-raised-by-wolves-androids-become-parents-to-human-kids.html

Kradan

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 17, 2020, 08:35:10 PM
Quote"And apparently soon after he had read it, he had just started drawing pictures, storyboarding. So as soon as I had heard that, it was beyond exciting to me ... Before I was even interested in making movies or TV or anything, I was obsessed with the stories that Ridley was telling. So it is a dream. It's been great. And he hasn't disappointed in terms of just his generosity, in terms of just being a great mentor, he's been great."

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Doubt we'll ever get to see them. Ridley once joked he kept all his sketches locked up in a vault or safe.

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 17, 2020, 08:35:10 PM
Quote"We had at least I think a good two or three weeks of rehearsing and working the actual character and making sure that we felt grounded with him," says Salim.

Good to hear they got plenty of rehearsal time.

Kradan

Kradan

"Yes, put this rock riiiiiight HERE. Perfect"

Ingwar

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 19, 2020, 05:48:18 AM

"Yes, put this rock riiiiiight HERE. Perfect"

The devil is in the detail ;D

New photo.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Some nice bts photos there Ingwar and also the first time we've seen Ridley on set. Also very little use of blue/green screen.

Kradan

Man's just f**king obssesed with 'em "practical sets"

Ingwar

Ingwar

I'm just guessing but it looks like
Spoiler
one of the children dies. First photo shows Mother with 6 children, then 5 and Father with tombstone.

[close]

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2020, 05:29:44 PM
Some new footage with Travis Fimmel looking and sounding quite creepy:

https://twitter.com/RaisedWolvesMAX/status/1296107347777994752

Yeah, some kind of ominous cult leader.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 19, 2020, 05:40:19 PM
Spoiler
one of the children dies. First photo shows Mother with 6 children, then 5 and Father with tombstone.
[close]
Spoiler
You reckon he is carving an epitaph into the stone?
It almost looked like one of them got kidnapped by the Sol cultists, there was a scene in the trailer in which one of the whitecloaks drags off a child somewhere.
[close]

Yeah, some kind of ominous cult leader.

When you find yourself in a place like this with a guy like Fimmel and they offer you Kool-Aid, just say no.

Nightmare Asylum

God, I cannot wait for this...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
You reckon he is carving an epitaph into the stone?
It almost looked like one of them got kidnapped by the Sol cultists, there was a scene in the trailer in which one of the whitecloaks drags off a child somewhere.
[close]

Hard to tell, you might be right. This is also interesting: the same boy, the one with Fimmel as cult leader, is sitting next to android's children (?) who are now older. One boy (or girl?) among them has got different outfit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed