Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 133,185 times)

Ridlazz921

From my experience shooting with RED and Alexa there is a subtle difference in color science.
Now you can grade the image to look alike by changing the Tint, but if you keep the original color science there is a difference.

This is getting geeky now. But the Alexa kinda has a more orange look to warmer hues, while the RED has more of a yellow lime ish look.
I associate it most with Fincher actually.

And you are correct about the look on Covenant vs Prometheus. I noticed from the first trailer that they changed cameras.
I will post one picture from Covenant and some other pics from other Ridley projects shot on RED for comparison.

Couldnt find any pictures, but notice the opening scene of All the money in the world also.

Alexa:

RED:

RidleyScott99

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 13, 2020, 06:33:37 PM
From my experience shooting with RED and Alexa there is a subtle difference in color science.
Now you can grade the image to look alike by changing the Tint, but if you keep the original color science there is a difference.

This is getting geeky now. But the Alexa kinda has a more orange look to warmer hues, while the RED has more of a yellow lime ish look.
I associate it most with Fincher actually.

And you are correct about the look on Covenant vs Prometheus. I noticed from the first trailer that they changed cameras.
I will post one picture from Covenant and some other pics from other Ridley projects shot on RED for comparison.

Couldnt find any pictures, but notice the opening scene of All the money in the world also.

Alexa:

RED:

http://[img]https://liberalironist.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/prometheusk_screencap11.jpg
http://[img]https://www.scified.com/u/Neuro_Visor2.jpg
Interesting. I read Ridley Scott only made 3 with RED: PROMETHEUS, THE COUNSELOR and EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS. The weird thing is I prefer RED EPIC over Arri Alexa too. THE MARTIAN had both: Arri Alexas and RED Epic Dragons

SiL

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 13, 2020, 06:33:37 PM
One of the reasons I dislike using the RED cameras. That lime tint can be a bitch to get rid of in certain lighting conditions

Ridlazz921

From the BTS pics i have seen from The Martian, it looks like it was all shot on RED.
And IMDB does not list the Alexa,

I actually like that lime tint that you sometimes get on the RED.
I mostly shot with the Angenieux 25-250, fun vintage lens.

But we made one sci-fi space, Prometheus/Covenant inspired film when i went to film school. Wanted to get experience with cheating the sets and get most value of the studio we occupied.

Too bad i casted some bad actors thought.

But again, always been inspired by Ridley. The way he uses his sets, if i didnt have my Ridley knowledge we would never have managed to do it.

I am getting sligthly off topic now :P

RidleyScott99

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 14, 2020, 01:15:42 AM
From the BTS pics i have seen from The Martian, it looks like it was all shot on RED.
And IMDB does not list the Alexa,

I actually like that lime tint that you sometimes get on the RED.
I mostly shot with the Angenieux 25-250, fun vintage lens.

But we made one sci-fi space, Prometheus/Covenant inspired film when i went to film school. Wanted to get experience with cheating the sets and get most value of the studio we occupied.

Too bad i casted some bad actors thought.

But again, always been inspired by Ridley. The way he uses his sets, if i didnt have my Ridley knowledge we would never have managed to do it.

I am getting sligthly off topic now :P
Interesting. But I read Ridley Scott and Dariusz Wolski used both in THE MARTIAN. They used ARRI Alexa for the intimate scenes and RED EPIC Dragon for the bigger scenes

TC

Ridlazz921

That doesnt even make sense. The RED is more compact then the Alexa.
They had pretty big rigs thought. But the Alexa shoots in 3,2k and the RED Dragon shoots in 6K.

I mean, none of the spec sites lists any Alexa, and Dariuz doesnt even bring it up in the 24 interview he did with Collider for the movie.

SiL

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 14, 2020, 06:34:45 AM
That doesnt even make sense. The RED is more compact then the Alexa.
They had pretty big rigs thought. But the Alexa shoots in 3,2k and the RED Dragon shoots in 6K.
That's why they'd shoot the "big scenes" in RED -- nice big plates for VFX and reframing in post. You don't need to worry about that so much when filming people sitting around a table talking, as happens a few times throughout.

Ridlazz921

Well sorry i just dont belive that they used the Alexa at all mate.
There is no info online to support the claim that they even used it so.

TC

Prometheus is listed as using both Alexa and Red Epic. Could be the source of confusion.

Also, you will recall that The Martian was shot native 3D. That means twin rigs on top of every tripod head: i.e. dual camera bodies, dual lenses, etc. Plus, Scott is well known for shooting multiple cameras (in this case, that means multiple rigs) for simultaneous camera angles. That's gotta take up a lot of space! Could be that the smaller Red form factor assisted for the rig builds. (Although Arri might have had it's Alexa Mini out by 2015. Not sure about that.)

Incidentally, Prometheus was also native 3D. Covenant was intended for the same treatment but I believe budget cuts got in the way. Besides, post-3D had gotten much better by then.

TC

Ridlazz921

Thats really wierd. Nothing on the IMDB spec says anything about the Alexa.

I mean. It just doesnt make sense to me actually. Maybe they captured the Africa flashback, or the Hologram Engineers with the Alexa. Or MAYBE they just completley WRONG because it doesnt make any sense at all.

When Prometheus came out the RED was the shit, with the 3D rigg also. And Dariuz praised the RED so much. And both in The Martian and on the Prometheus BTS it is no sign of an Alexa anywhere. I just checked the B-rolls. One tell is that they got different interfaces with specs on the Monitors. Its a subtle difference, but it is there.

Arri and RED are competators, so lets say they want a sweet deal with the RED gear for Prometheus, they would likley give them a good deal, as its good promotion for them. And the RED logo is in the end credits, didnt recgonize the Alexa logo.

I think maybe there is some misinformation out there. Because again i cant make any sense WHY they should use both cameras   xD  xD  xD  xD

TC

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 14, 2020, 10:40:36 AM
...Or MAYBE they just completley WRONG because it doesnt make any sense at all.

Always possible. Wouldn't be the first time.    :)

For sure The Martian was Red only. (With goPros).

Maybe for Prometheus the VFX units used Alexa for plate photography?

TC

Ridlazz921

ANYHOW Raised by Wolves looks cool xD

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ridlazz921 on Aug 14, 2020, 09:24:06 AM
Well sorry i just dont belive that they used the Alexa at all mate.
There is no info online to support the claim that they even used it so.
That I agree with, but the rationale behind using the two different cameras makes more sense than you said it did is all.

Ridlazz921

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed