Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series

Started by Ingwar, Oct 08, 2018, 07:05:23 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'Raised by Wolves', Sci-Fi drama series (Read 131,069 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 29, 2019, 11:27:16 PM
https://twitter.com/HBOMaxPR/status/1189319984524283906

Ok, noice but where's dat friggin' trailer?  ;D

Hopefully the switch from TNT to HBO might be due to the quality of the show. I wonder if HBO will be setting this up as the next Game of Thrones?

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 30, 2019, 05:57:13 AM
Spoiler
A short clip from the show that played at a WarnerMedia investor relations event Tuesday showed a bleak and desolate planet, where a woman can be seen with a newborn and then several children.

She expresses concern that people -- believing androids shouldn't be raising human children -- will take them away. There are shots of fight scenes as people come to rescue the kids, to which their android protector says: "You are all my children. I'm only here to protect you."
[close]

Interesting, you mentioned them maybe being on the run from someone or something earlier in this thread with regards to all the different locations.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 30, 2019, 04:54:25 PM
Hopefully the switch from TNT to HBO might be due to the quality of the show. I wonder if HBO will be setting this up as the next Game of Thrones?

I though exactly the same. Amazon will have its Witcher. Seems like HBO wants to have something epic either.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 30, 2019, 04:54:25 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 30, 2019, 05:57:13 AM
Spoiler
A short clip from the show that played at a WarnerMedia investor relations event Tuesday showed a bleak and desolate planet, where a woman can be seen with a newborn and then several children.

She expresses concern that people -- believing androids shouldn't be raising human children -- will take them away. There are shots of fight scenes as people come to rescue the kids, to which their android protector says: "You are all my children. I'm only here to protect you."
[close]

Interesting, you mentioned them maybe being on the run from someone or something earlier in this thread with regards to all the different locations.

It was just my first thought. Intuition if you prefer.

Also:

QuoteRaised By Wolves stars describe working with 'genius' Sir Ridley Scott

The stars of new sci-fi series Raised By Wolves have described the experience of working with its "genius" creator Sir Ridley Scott.

Abubakar Salim and Niamh Algar both star opposite Travel Fimmel in the show, which revolves around two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet, and which will be helmed by the Alien and Blade Runner director.

The duo are also on Bafta's list of 20 breakthrough Brits for 2019, alongside Sex Education creator Laurie Nunn and Killed By My Debt actor Chase Perdomo.

Salim told the PA news agency: "I was in Montreal and I think the email went to junk first and then I checked my junk and was like 'Oh no, this is real', and then I panicked and was like 'They are making such a mistake'.

Algar added: "I was on set filming up in Leeds and I hadn't checked my email and I rang my mum and told her and then read down on the email where it says 'please don't tell anyone' and had to be like 'Mum, you know that information I told you? Forget that'."

The duo wrapped production on Raised By Wolves in September, and Salim said: "It was an incredible experience, we were in Cape Town from January onwards and it was just a crazy show.

"It's based on sci-fi, it's got Ridley helming it, so it was wild, it was a completely different beast to what I've normally done before so I loved it.

"He's a genius, he's the kind of director who when he makes a choice and it's the right choice, you never doubt it. It was amazing to see him work.

"The nicest thing about him is he's a beautiful soul, he's an easy guy to talk to, he wasn't a difficult man to approach when it came to asking what you feel are stupid questions.

"He would give you time and then of course he would tell you if it was a stupid question, which is great, so honest."

Algar added: "It didn't feel like we shooting TV, it felt like we were shooting a film, a really long film.

"The sets were all built, there was very little green screen or blue screen and you're on set you feel like you are on a different planet, especially being so far away from home, in South Africa.

"He (Sir Ridley) does very few takes and I think that is just because he knows.

"He's created the environment and he has put you in the right frame of mind and ultimately what you're going to bring to it is extra so you only do one or two takes.

"Creatively he just paints the screen, that's what he does, he's come from a design background and you can totally see that in the way in which he directs.

"Seeing on the monitor, it's a painting. It's incredible to see him work and he's got so much energy."

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2019/10/30/news/raised-by-wolves-stars-describe-working-with-genius-sir-ridley-scott-1752325/

The Old One

The Old One

Damn, I hope it's as good as it sounds.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, Algar paints a very accurate picture of Scott's modus operandi. He gives his actors lots of freedom for personal interpretation as to how their characters act and react and even looks. Katherine Waterston's much maligned haircut in Alien: Covenant for example was her idea. Most of Roy Batty's "Tears in the Rain" soliloquy came from Rutger Hauer himself and that is of course now one of the most memorable parts of the film.

But usually if an actor brings up an idea that Scott doesn't fancy he will tell them that it sounds "interesting", which will be the cue for the actor to just drop the idea and move along.  :laugh:

I like the sound of these quotes:

Quote"It didn't feel like we shooting TV, it felt like we were shooting a film, a really long film.

"The sets were all built, there was very little green screen or blue screen and you're on set you feel like you are on a different planet, especially being so far away from home, in South Africa.

I wonder if they shot in anomorphic? It would certainly be unusual for a tv series but not the first.

QuoteAlgar added: "I was on set filming up in Leeds and I hadn't checked my email and I rang my mum and told her and then read down on the email where it says 'please don't tell anyone' and had to be like 'Mum, you know that information I told you? Forget that'."

So she basically told her mum to stay mum?  :)

Nightmare Asylum

Between this and Dune: The Sisterhood, HBO Max definitely has me ready and willing to give their service a go.

Ingwar

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

First footage of Raised by Wolves released:

Scroll to the second video on the Instagram post to view a snippet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4QJoOCBWis/?igshid=g700jw05z1r9

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2019, 05:51:52 PM
First footage of Raised by Wolves released:

Scroll to the second video on the Instagram post to view a snippet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4QJoOCBWis/?igshid=g700jw05z1r9

Ooohhhh cool catch, thank you for sharing!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

You can watch it on YouTube in 1080p as well:

Note the skull of some huge creature in the foreground.

Ingwar

Finally some footage. Probably trailer is coming soon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I hope so, HBO will be trying to pimp their new service so a trailer for a brand new show would help to sell it.

It almost looks like some kind of ancient ruin in the background to the left on the top picture. Reminds me of Machu Picchu (Inca Sun Worshipers). Maybe Immortan Jonesy might know?

Nightmare Asylum

With this being included in the date reveal video for HBO Max, then I'm going to assume that Raised by Wolves is going to debut right on launch in May.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them release their shows weekly, like D+.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, that's a very good bet. Pretty sure it will be May as that will be enough time to finish-up all the VFX and other post-production work.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed