James Cameron Unlikely To Return For Another Alien Film

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2016, 09:02:30 AM

Author
James Cameron Unlikely To Return For Another Alien Film (Read 18,302 times)

Corporal Hicks

According to a new interview with Famous Monsters, James Cameron is unlikely to return for another Alien film. I know it probably goes without saying at this point but I’m sure it’s something that a lot of fans would still be eager to see. Cameron made the comment in a new interview with Famous Monsters as part of the various 30th anniversary (today!) celebrations.

The 286th issue of the magazine features a brand new interview conducted with James Cameron. A half hour segment of that interview with editor David Weiner was released as their 12th podcast and you can hear Cameron making the remark at around 28 minute mark.

While talking about how Aliens stands up today and how he’d have approached it differently with today’s technology, Cameron said: “would I want to make another Alien film tomorrow? No, I don’t think so.” He then teases a small possibility but then shortly rules it out completely: “unless someone could come with up with a spectacularly new concept.

Weiner asks Cameron, straight to the point, if he wouldn’t rule out returning to the Alien franchise, if there was a compelling enough story. Cameron remarks that it is unlikely to happen as he’s got his hands full with the Avatar series: “Well, look…I’ve got my own kind of Alien world that I’m enslaved to now with the Avatar films, so I can pretty much rule that out.

James Cameron unlikely to return for another Alien film. The comment comes from issue #286 of Famous Monsters.

James Cameron unlikely to return for another Alien film. The comment comes from issue #286 of Famous Monsters.

With another 3 Avatar films planned, Cameron’s slate looks to be occupied by the science-fiction series for some time to come.

The last time Cameron was seriously involved in returning to an Alien film was back in the early 00’s when both he and Ridley Scott had been working on a concept for Alien 5. Cameron ultimately dropped work on the project when he found out Fox were moving forward with Paul Anderson’s Alien vs. Predator. Thanks to Omega Underground for the news.

whiterabbit

This news makes me frown a bit but I can totally understand it. James Cameron knows that he simply cannot out do Aliens. So instead he rather do films about other aliens... that he invented. ha the bugger went George Lucas on us.

T Dog

It's still so crazy how much Fox shot themselves in the foot in the early 90's. They DIDN'T want to develop an Alien movie with Ridley and Cameron. WTF!!!!!!! Who was the crazy person running the studio then?

Xenomorphine

If he's guaranteeing he won't ever be interested, there wouldn't be much harm in him spilling the details on the idea he had been working on.

Xan21

he'd rather wastes his time making 3 sequels the audience doesn't care about

Whiskeybrewer

I would love to hear details of the story him and Ridley were working on before Fox started riddling the franchise with Bullets.

Wonder if any of the details ended up in Prometheus and Covenant

Adam802

Disappointing, but not surprising. Also f**k AvP, as always. Cmon Blomkamp.....

Valaquen

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 18, 2016, 12:51:43 PM
I would love to hear details of the story him and Ridley were working on before Fox started riddling the franchise with Bullets.

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/ridley-scott-and-james-camerons-alien-5/

:)

That's pretty much all there is to find.

Doggo33

Doggo33

I considered that obvious.
I'm fine with that. No need to overdo it. Ridley Scott should take note.

Xan21 - I very much care about the 'Avatar' sequels. And it's 4 not 3.
That's a really really great universe (the most creative one I can think of in ages) that the first film set up with a simple story. I really look forward to see where James Cameron takes it with this very ambitious project of shooting 4 films simultaneously.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 18, 2016, 02:42:05 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jul 18, 2016, 12:51:43 PM

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/ridley-scott-and-james-camerons-alien-5/

:)

That's pretty much all there is to find.

Thanks Valaqueen. Some interesting tidbits there. Definitely a case of Ridley wanted to explore the Aliens origins and Cameron wanted Earth War

BishopShouldGo

Cameron and Scott should've fought harder for Alien 5 back then.

426Buddy

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 18, 2016, 03:53:25 PM
Cameron and Scott should've fought harder for Alien 5 back then.

Not much they can do without the go ahead from Fox.

Fox wanted AvP and that was a deal breaker for both directors.

BishopShouldGo

What fools Fox were.

"From the directors of Alien, Aliens, Titanic and Gladiator."

Throw Arnold in there like James said.

Gangbusters.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Him describing the limitations of technology aloud them to focus on story and character rather than over expose the creatures, that hwy the early films hold up so well.

Its a shame James Cameron isn't doing smaller scaled practical effects movies, he's caught up in the Avatar world, that film had alot of hype around it for its renovating effects and 3D experience and it sure made a name for itself breaking 2 billion at the box office, however many movie goers dismiss it for the story being  your basic native American vs white invaders Dances with Wolves set in a space epic.

Though seeing the Avatar aftermath and lack of enthusiasm has you wondering how well the sequels will do. Cameron pulled off two of the greatest sequels of all time Aliens and Terminator 2. He may have some gimmick at hand that will give in an advantage to renewal that enthusiasm for Avatar and blow us away becoming another great hit. Or not.  :-

BringbackJonesy!

If only the FOX suits had let Ridley & Cameron do their joint version FIRST, and then greenlit their AvP project afterwards.  The fools.

I've always wondered what we could have ended up with between the two of them collaborating.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed