Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A

Started by shamash, Apr 10, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

Author
Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A (Read 69,785 times)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: gooner_no1 on Apr 13, 2012, 06:56:30 PM
None whatsoever.

1. There won't be an alternative version with an extra 17 minutes; this is due to misreporting what Scott said in Paris, he was referring to another film which he'd restored 17 minutes to later on, but said that his cut on Prometheus is pretty much final.

2. The author of that "article" is simply extrapolating based on that false piece of information.

Right - thx for clearing that up. I don't speak French, so...  :P

Zenzucht

Quote from: Eva on Apr 13, 2012, 07:00:57 PM
None whatsoever.

1. There won't be an alternative version with an extra 17 minutes; this is due to misreporting what Scott said in Paris, he was referring to another film which he'd restored 17 minutes to later on, but said that his cut on Prometheus is pretty much final.

2. The author of that "article" is simply extrapolating based on that false piece of information.

I am definitely for the 119min movie, I don't mind faster narrative. I think it's a matter of how experienced movie aficionado watches the movie.

Anyway, it's interesting that some of the recent Ridley's movies have around + - 10 minutes in extended versions:

Theatrical/extended:

Robin Hood: 140min/156min
American Gangster: 157min/176min
Kingdom of Heaven: 144min/190min
Black Hawk Down: 144min/152min
Gladiator: 155min/171min

If it will be 30 minutes of sequences/shots with Prometheus/Derelict class ship drifting through space, I will be happy :)

Michael Harper

Quote from: Zenzucht on Apr 13, 2012, 09:57:09 PM
None whatsoever.

I am definitely for the 119min movie, I don't mind faster narrative. I think it's a matter of how experienced movie aficionado watches the movie.

Anyway, it's interesting that some of the recent Ridley's movies have around + - 10 minutes in extended versions:

Theatrical/extended:

Robin Hood: 140min/156min
American Gangster: 157min/176min
Kingdom of Heaven: 144min/190min
Black Hawk Down: 144min/152min
Gladiator: 155min/171min

If it will be 30 minutes of sequences/shots with Prometheus/Derelict class ship drifting through space, I will be happy :)

30 minutes of David walking around the Prometheus! :P

T Dog

T Dog

Hr also very adamantly says that the derelict parked in alien. it landed, it parked, it did not crash.

fiveways

None whatsoever.

And from a US release point of view that would be box office suicide.  If they released the movie a week later and 17 minutes shorter in the states it would tank.  People would download the "real" version of it and f**k going to see it in the theatre.  Most of this forum would be doing that.  That would kill profits even more then a "R" rating.

JonesTheCat

See the '17 minutes cut' statement in context at about the 31 and a half minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_pnGj9wm4#ws

Scott is obviously talking about one of his other movies, NOT Prometheus.

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

It's perhaps a matter of various statements during different stages of principal photography, but I am slightly confused.

I remember Ridley saying that they shot first 14-15 minutes of movie, so called "The Beginning of time" sequence like 2001, on Iceland. They apparently shot some LV-223 exteriors there as well (there were some photos of the props from the set, right?) and in Q&A video above, he also says there is 5 to 6 minutes of David walking through the ship, busy with some android/butler business.

Therefore, Prometheus won't be classic three act movie? I mean, Overture: "The Beginning of Time", "The Prometheus", "The Temple", "Stealing the Fire", "The Punishment from the God(s)", "Coda (Alien DNA)", credits, David disco medley from the two years on Prometheus?

And second thing.. It seems to me that nobody from the interviewers/press didn't make any review of so far answered things and they keep asking about the same stuff & stuff they obviously can't speak about in order to keep the secrecy until the release.. "Fortunately", Ridley doesn't hesitate to f-bomb anybody :D

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I don't know why studios think R rated movies don't well when Terminator 3, all three Matrix movies, The Hangover films and 300 did just fine?

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Apr 14, 2012, 10:12:23 PM
I don't know why studios think R rated movies don't well when Terminator 3, all three Matrix movies, The Hangover films and 300 did just fine?

Yes but you can make even more money lowering the rating and opening it up to a mass of more people. Just fine doesn't cut it with studios when they want the best possible return for a franchise they have high future hopes in

Zenzucht

Terminator 3 was the third movie of already very successful franchise.

Before The Wachowskis made The Matrix, they did another movie to prove they are able to direct a serious production & The Matrix was produced by Joel Silver, already a big name in the business..

OpenMaw

Prometheus is a new name. WE know it's an alien movie, but the name itself will mean nothing to a general audience beyond the marginal power of worth-of-mouth. Not to mention "Alien" has a bit of stigma thanks to the AVP films, it's not as easy a sell as you might think for some.

300 was a comic book before it was a film. That's a built in fanbase.
Terminator 3 is a sequel to a HUGELY successful set of movies. The audience was there.
Hangover's a comedy - It costs far less to make then something such as this, which is an FX spectacle.

You have to look at how much the film cost to make. Most of those films didn't cost near as much as Prometheus did. This is a HUGE movie with a rather large budget. They have to make that back, not only to recoup the costs and turn a profit, but to also justify a sequel if there is going to be one.

Michael Harper

Has there been an announcement on the actual budget yet?

fiveways

alien resurrection doesn't really help that reputation....

Wish the budget and then with ad budget, it has to be PG-13.  They are spending a lot of this film. 

Plus, Ridley's last couple movies didn't fair so well at the box office.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I just hope the film can still be dark and good with a PG-13 rating. It seems like Fox hopes that this movie will bring back it's budget domestically then worldwide. Studios seem to look at the US box office then they do overseas.

T Dog

T Dog

Hopefully they'll release it as an 18's in Europe. Being in my mid 20s I don't fancy paying for something that's been watered down for 13 year olds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed