[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series!

Started by RidgeTop, Jan 11, 2022, 10:20:03 PM

Author
[Exclusive] Effects Studio Weta Bringing the Xenomorphs to Life for the FX Alien Series! (Read 26,520 times)

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 24, 2022, 08:07:59 PM
Stories are about humans one way or another, no matter what your heroes/villains are or what setting you put them in - fantasy or sci-fi, past, present, future etc. It's all about reflecting on humans' nature. So you might as well literally put humans at the top of the piedestal of universe
Or you use scifi to put humans in a situation where they aren't the most important thing and see how human nature reacts. Most stories are about people doing things to people. Scifi is one of the few places to explore humanity detached from anything they might find familiar or controllable at a large scale.

That's what the Alien franchise had done for so long. Now with the prequels it's just humans doing things to other humans.

Throughout the franchise we saw how humans treated each other contrasted against the struggle with the Alien. The Alien is cold and ruthless and uncaring, only trying to survive, whereas we see humans regularly sabotaging each other and choosing to be malicious to others.

When everything is human drama, that contrast completely evaporates. The Alien isn't just trying to survive, it literally only exists to kill us - because of our own hubris. There is no longer a contrast between the cold indifference of space and the intentional evil of mankind, because the Alien is just another byproduct of our evil.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The only thing that Prometheus really puts humanity at the center of galactic events is the idea that the Engineers were explicitly en route back to Earth to come directly after us because of something we did in the past - which is a plot point that I could really take or leave and would have been more than ok if the film had dropped that angle to push us a little bit more out of the Engineers' direct focus. I also would have been happy to toss aside Prometheus' "100% DNA Match" angle.

The Engineers making humans on Earth, and seeding (and, perhaps, later destroying?) a multitude of other worlds and populations in the very same way (remember, Ridley never directly confirmed if the planet in Prometheus' prologue was Earth because, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether that one is explicitly Earth or not. That's what happened on Earth... and on other worlds as well.) ultimately serves to make humanity even less significant in the grand scheme of things. Earth is nothing more than Petri dish for one of the Engineers' many scattered experiments, and a failed one at that. They made us, as David said, because they could - and they made others for the very same (lack of) reason. We don't have some grand purpose. Earth is a discarded world that held on longer than it should have, full of beings that don't matter. And even our greatest creation supersedes us and, using the raw materials taken from the Engineers, creates something 'perfect' that functions as a sort of plague in the known universe moving forward.

I should also add, none of this really even seeps into my mind when watching Alien anyways. It's pretty easy for me to watch each installment and take it as it as it is with what's presented directly on screen, under the conditions it was made in, without constantly needing to cross reference each "canon" material in my mind. When I'm watching Alien, the crew finds a mysterious ancient craft full of eggs. David, the Engineers, etc. don't really factor into my mind, until I'm off watching the prequels and taking in their particular spin on the material. When I'm watching Aliens, the third act isn't made any less exciting knowing that Alien 3 kills off Hicks and Newt as the opening credits roll.

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 24, 2022, 08:34:36 PM
The Engineers making humans on Earth, and seeding (and, perhaps, later destroying?) a multitude of other worlds and populations in the very same way (remember, Ridley never directly confirmed if the planet in Prometheus' prologue was Earth because, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether that one is explicitly Earth or not. That's what happened on Earth... and on other worlds as well.) ultimately serves to make humanity even less significant in the grand scheme of things.
We were made intentionally in their image, and then they wanted to whipe us out specifically. The dramatic events of the universe are actively driven by the intentional creation and destruction of humanity by human forces, rather than our creation and destruction being the result of indifferent natural processes. This isn't a trivial distinction.

QuoteI should also add, none of this really even seeps into my mind when watching Alien anyways.
Absolutely. Alien is Alien. It just means future stories will never have that element to them again unless they retcon the prequels.

[cancerblack]

I like the prequels a lot and at this point even I'd welcome them being retconned just so all the sooks will quit their f**kin' bitching.

oduodu

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 24, 2022, 08:07:59 PM
https://i.gifer.com/origin/ab/abaced865351dca3df1cf339ba3c0c9e.gif

Stories are about humans one way or another, no matter what your heroes/villains are or what setting you put them in - fantasy or sci-fi, past, present, future etc. It's all about reflecting on humans' nature. So you might as well literally put humans at the top of the piedestal of universe

Quote from: oduodu on Jan 24, 2022, 07:06:53 PM
and oh yes all about teenagers.....

Sorrywhat ?

alien never depicted us at the top and yet it became cult classic. why?

i am refering to teenagers as the primary reason as to why people go watch movies nowadays: kids drive what parents spend their money  on.  so by and large most movies today will have subject matter that will be attractive to kids to the detriment of any other subject matter. imho anyway...

SiL

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 24, 2022, 08:52:43 PM
I like the prequels a lot and at this point even I'd welcome them being retconned just so all the sooks will quit their f**kin' bitching.
Heaven forbid people on a discussion forum discuss things :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

You first!  :D

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2022, 08:27:28 PM

Scifi is one of the few places to explore humanity detached from anything they might find familiar or controllable at a large scale.

That's what the Alien franchise had done for so long. Now with the prequels it's just humans doing things to other humans.

👍

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 24, 2022, 09:09:05 PM

Yes, getting exhausted of hearing the same circular shit for ten years and once in a blue moon commenting as much, is exactly the same as actively and regularly saying the same circular shit for ten years.

Exactly the same.

SiL

It's pretty tiring hearing people contributing nothing other than to tell other people to stop having conversations they don't like for ten years, yes.

[cancerblack]

SiL

What are you, twelve?

If you don't like the conversations, don't read them. You don't need to waste your time and energy telling other people what's worth discussing or not, just move on.

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 24, 2022, 09:21:11 PM

Yes, getting exhausted of hearing the same circular shit for ten years and once in a blue moon commenting as much, is exactly the same as actively and regularly saying the same circular shit for ten years.

Exactly the same.

Oh, now you know what it's like being an ADI fan

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 24, 2022, 09:21:11 PM

Exactly the same.

To be fair, perhaps it's your approach. Hicks has had to ask you to cool it down, snip your posts, or both, several times in the past several months, so to one outside looking in, you might seem exhausted with a lot of things lately to be honest. But you're a swell guy, so my advice is whenever you feel that heated, take a few moments to step back, until you feel ready to re-engage in these conversations and debates about our favorite franchises!  :)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Jan 24, 2022, 09:36:23 PM
What are you, twelve?

Since your entire rebuttal is "no u", if I'm being childish, then both of us are. And yes, I'm aware of the irony there.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 24, 2022, 10:19:43 PM
whenever you feel that heated, take a few moments to step back, until you feel ready to re-engage in these conversations and debates

I'm going to accept this though, and remind myself why I unfollowed this specific sub-forum.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed