Questions for Wayne Haag (VFX Concept Artist) - Pre-Release Interview

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 11, 2016, 01:01:45 PM

Author
Questions for Wayne Haag (VFX Concept Artist) - Pre-Release Interview (Read 15,793 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Next week I'm going to be chatting to Alien: Covenant vfx concept artist Wayne Haag. I'm writing up some questions now but I wanted to ensure you all had the chance to submit any questions. Obviously Wayne wont be getting into any specifics about the film but if you have any non-spoilery questions you'd like to ask, now is the chance!

426Buddy

Cool sounds good. I'm not good at this stuff so hopefully this makes sense.

During the making of Prometheus, they didn't know what they wanted to do with the film. At one point it was an Alien prequel and then it wasn't, and finally in the end it was sort of a prequel but not really.

My question is this, was there a consistent vision for covenant through-out production or did Ridley's vision for the film change as it was being made? (like with Prometheus)

Corporal Hicks

Makes sense and it's a great question. Thanks.

Enoch

Enoch

Bravo for the question, 426Buddy.

Does the story of Prometheus have some serious impact on the Covenant storyline or they ll just continue to make
loose connections and too vague explanations. Will there be one or two plain answers; simply said, is there some ultimate AGENDA for the story or they ll just continue to build the inner part of the house without building the foundation and  the roof? ;D (I know he knows this, thats why i would ask him that)

Is Alien/Xeno still just a simple killer monster in a tin-can, or there is far more sinister background story attached to that organism, because Ridley said he wanted to elevate the story to another level?

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS (simple ones): Did something (conceptual and storywise) surprise him in a very positive way that he even said: Thats really cool!

What kind of design/illustration knowledge was of use to him on Covenant? Is there something he himself would have done differently (storywise and in design field)?

Enoch

Enoch

Spoler-free questions  ;D ;D

My main question is pretty much story oriented so I dont think he ll
even try to say anything about that... He ll probally speak about designs, concepts,
some not-spolery ideas etc. NO STORY! :D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

First question for Wayne:

I know from his Alien and Blade Runner days that Ridley was always very involved with the art department. In fact, he apparently micromanaged it to such a degree that no major production designer ever wanted to work with him. Is this still the case? Did you work directly with Scott or mostly through Cov's PD, Chris Seagers?

If you had direct interaction with Scott, what was he like? Is he still such a harsh taskmaster or is he more relaxed now? Did he allow you a lot of artistic freedom or was his instructions very specific?

Second question:

I take it the concept paintings you did were mostly for environments? Was it mostly for landscapes or mostly for spaceship/temple interiors? Did you get to design any of the film's vehicles/spaceships? Were you doing a lot of 3d modelling or were you just doing layouts in 3d and then doing paintovers?

At one point you mentioned you were working on some super-high-res images while they were still filming. Were those for scenic backings?

Pvt. Himmel

Regarding The Covenant ship itself:

Design wise... How big is it compared to Nostromo, Sulaco??, or  Is it more close to the Elsyium ship from Pandorum?

Enoch

Wayne confirmed that he didnt do any matte paintings for Covenant!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 11, 2016, 04:42:36 PM
First question for Wayne:

I know from his Alien and Blade Runner days that Ridley was always very involved with the art department. In fact, he apparently micromanaged it to such a degree that no major production designer ever wanted to work with him. Is this still the case? Did you work directly with Scott or mostly through Cov's PD, Chris Seagers?

If you had direct interaction with Scott, what was he like? Is he still such a harsh taskmaster or is he more relaxed now? Did he allow you a lot of artistic freedom or was his instructions very specific?

Second question:

I take it the concept paintings you did were mostly for environments? Was it mostly for landscapes or mostly for spaceship/temple interiors? Did you get to design any of the film's vehicles/spaceships? Were you doing a lot of 3d modelling or were you just doing layouts in 3d and then doing paintovers?

At one point you mentioned you were working on some super-high-res images while they were still filming. Were those for scenic backings?

Already got these covered, 8th.

Quote from: Enoch on Oct 11, 2016, 03:57:53 PM
Spoler-free questions  ;D ;D

My main question is pretty much story oriented so I dont think he ll
even try to say anything about that... He ll probally speak about designs, concepts,
some not-spolery ideas etc. NO STORY! :D

Lol Yeah, I have included your last question but not your others. He wouldn't be able to answer them. Sorry, bro.

Giger Beast

Which Alien film is your favorite? If you had to compare Covenant to one of the other Alien films, which is it most similar to in tone?

Infected

Quote from: Himmelblau on Oct 11, 2016, 04:50:31 PM
Regarding The Covenant ship itself:

Design wise... How big is it compared to Nostromo, Sulaco??, or  Is it more close to the Elsyium ship from Pandorum?
Good one, but i dont think he will answer that.
If its as big as the Elysium it could be just another "Alien" movie.

oduodu

Did any unused Prometheus concept art find  their way into Covenant or perhaps was used as inspiration?

Bonus Situation

Question:

Looking back at Alien, the thing that makes the film so unique even today is largely due to the role and influence that Giger had as an artist in shaping the tone and motif of the film. How is todays landscape different for artists in comparison? Is there an appetite for artists to play a bigger and more influentual role in giving a film a unique look and identity?

Not very well worded but hopefulyl you get my point :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Enoch on Oct 11, 2016, 06:37:25 PM
Wayne confirmed that he didnt do any matte paintings for Covenant!

Yes, thank you professor. Backings are something else altogether.

Enoch

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 11, 2016, 09:16:00 PM

Yes, thank you professor.Backings are something else altogether.

Professor?? ??? :o

Maybe you are right, but he said only concept designs...
I guess we ll find out thanks to your question! :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed