Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 828,082 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Tomorrow Never Dies

I like this one a lot, and the bad guy's plan has held up pretty well today. It's got some of the best action of the series as well. Also, "cunning linguist." :laugh:

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

In the mouth of madness

Great story and loved the creature effects!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Gamera (1965)

Decent enough monster movie. There are better in the series, but there are much worse as well.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 11, 2020, 09:40:05 PMTomorrow Never Dies

I like this one a lot, and the bad guy's plan has held up pretty well today. It's got some of the best action of the series as well. Also, "cunning linguist." :laugh:

Yeah, it's not on the level of GoldenEye, but that one's a lot better than most people give it credit it for. Did the straight-ahead, balls-to-the-wall action version of Bond a lot more successfully than Quantum of Solace managed.

Just wish they hadn't dropped k.d. lang's amazing theme song (the one over the end credits) in favour of the one by Sheryl Crow :'(

Also would've liked to see Michelle Yeoh doing more of the crazy BAMF stuff she made her name doing, but I guess a Western production had to worry about stuff like insurance and health and safety :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 12, 2020, 08:45:52 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 11, 2020, 09:40:05 PMTomorrow Never Dies

Yeah, it's not on the level of GoldenEye, but that one's a lot better than most people give it credit it for. Did the straight-ahead, balls-to-the-wall action version of Bond a lot more successfully than Quantum of Solace managed.

Just wish they hadn't dropped k.d. lang's amazing theme song (the one over the end credits) in favour of the one by Sheryl Crow :'(

Also would've liked to see Michelle Yeoh doing more of the crazy BAMF stuff she made her name doing, but I guess a Western production had to worry about stuff like insurance and health and safety :laugh:

That's very true. I think I've read comments from Jackie Chan about how frustrating all of the safety restrictions were for him in Hollywood. "Give me fifty bucks, I'll jump out of the tree, and we'll be done!" :laugh:

Gamera vs Barugon

A bit of a step up from the first, with a more mature tone and a cool new monster. I do think there's a bit too much back and forth with all of the different attempts at stopping Barugon and Onedera being a jackass, though.

Gamera vs Gyaos

This one goes back to more of a child based movie, but I think it handles it really well, with strong pacing and yet another cool new monster in Gyaos. And the fights are even gorier than before, which is a plus.

Road Trip

"Stole it from a blind chick."

kwisatz

kwisatz

A Hidden Life

Best Malick since TRL imo. Even though I really really like The New World too.

Kradan

Kradan

Recently been in mood to watch some Batman movies

Batman (1989)

That movie is just oozing with style. Sets, costumes, score - love it. Jack's performance as Joker is ripped straight from the comics.

Batman Returns

It's definetly Tim Burton's Batman movie - from beginning (freak child being thrown into river and then raised by penguins) to ending (Penguin's death in particular). I found myself carring much more about the plot and characters then in the first one. Penguin is such a tragic character - I was really sad when he died and I liked re-interpretation of his character as more litteral "penguin". De Vitto's performance is great. I like Pffeifer's Catwoman although I feel Burton made her a bit too edgy and sexualised. And what the deal with " I just can't live with myself" bit in the end ? I don't get it

Batman Forever

It's loud and bright and bombastic and all over the place and I like it for that. It's middle point between Burton's dark vision and cartoonish feel of B&R. Nicole Kidman is hot, although, it's a bit strange when so called psychiatrist acts like that. Val Killmer did a good job playing kinda haunted Bruce Wayne. Chris O'Donnell - eh, no here, no there. Carrey's Riddler is just Carrey playing himself and a lot of fun because of that. Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face is while fun unfortunately completly wrong for the character. I actually prefer Goldental's score to Elfman's - it's much more catchy for me. And dare I say it but the movie IMO has the best Bat-suit even despite nipples. It looks extremely good in marketing stills:

Spoiler
[close]

Batman Begins

Mostly enjoyed it for the "origins" parts. Liam Neeson played great Ra's Al Ghull as well as Cillian Murphy played great Scarecrow. Garry Oldman was great choice for Gordon as well as Michael Caine for Alfred. I find it's interesting that for his first "realistic" Batman movie Nolan've chosen one the most unnatural villains. Also, I like this Bat-suit more than in the next two even though it looks a bit bulky for Bale

The Dark Knight

Spoiler
You all know it's a great movie
[close]

The Dark Knight Rises

I love this one. I feel in that one Nolan went a little beyond "realistic Batman" into more "comic-book Batman". I mean, the whole city being held hostage by group of terrorists using nuclear bomb feels much more comic-booky to me. It's much more energetic and at no point in the 2 hour and 40 minutes movie I felt bored. I love Bane, especially, his look and his funny voice. His initial confrontation with Batman was terrifying and I was so happy when Batman kicked his ass later. He has so much charisma and I would put him without hesitation on the same level with Ledger's Joker. Kinda sorry he went out as a bitch. Talia was "twist for the sake of the twist" but still worked for me as a villain. I prefer this more grounded Catwoman to one from Returns and think she has great chemistry with Batman. There wasn't too much of Alfred in the movie but his scenes were pure emotion, especially the one in the end. I felt really invested into Batman's journey in this one, all logical problems aside. Him litteraly "rising" from that pit is beatiful and symbolic and poetic and just great in generall. I really dug that sorta post-apocalyptic desert-streets Gotham. Scarecrow-judge was a nice touch too. And it's so heartwarming to see a happy ending for Bruce. It wasn't fake death - because Batman actually died in that nuclear explosion

Also, gotta love this:

Spoiler
!!!BLINDING!!!

https://youtu.be/F157geaXp_w

-No guns - no killing

-Where's fun in that ?

https://youtu.be/XgKBvLVldjw
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Gamera vs Viras

This is much more tolerable in the original Japanese theatrical cut, since the stock footage montage isn't nearly 20 minutes long like it is in the AIP cut. It's still not that great, though, as the budget is obviously a lot lower and it just isn't all that interesting. The final fight with Viras is pretty good, though.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

The Black Stallion Returns (1983)

I've always had fond memories of this movie on VHS as a kid, and even as a adult it still holds up in 2020 as one of my top horse movies. Twilight Time did a great job on the remaster and I'm glad I managed to snag a copy from eBay because apparently they're out of business now so the blu ray copies are limited edition I think. Well at least I'll have a movie to show my future children if they ever become obsessed with horses like I still am.  :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

Clash of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Rounders

"Thees... son of bitch!"

Amazing movie, glad I finally got around to it.

Gamera vs Guiron

While I could do without the subplot about the younger sister and the mothers, overall this is a very fun children's adventure movie with some good action and humor. And Guiron is not to be f**ked with, he's a cold bastard.

Gamera vs Jiger

A fun one, with a bigger budget and more fights than the last two. And of course there's the infamous plot point where Gamera gets Jiger's larva implanted in his lung and the kids have to abort it Fantastic Voyage style. Yeah, David would probably like this one. ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Graduate

I've seen a million spoofs and references, but never the actual movie before. Quite a bit different from what I expected, but still really good.

The Deer Hunter

Loved it, this was another first time watch. God that last scene in Saigon in particular was devastating.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 17, 2020, 03:19:04 AM
[/i]The Deer Hunter[/i]

Loved it, this was another first time watch. God that last scene in Saigon in particular was devastating.

One of Christophet Walkens best performances.

The Thing (the prequel)

And all the extra's. So glad they didn't go with the MacReady brother story line.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 17, 2020, 03:19:04 AMThe Deer Hunter

Surprised you'd not seen that one before.

A long haul but a fantastic film. Supposedly Walken ate nothing but rice and fish for a month to get the look he has in the final scene.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Gamera vs Zigra

The series really feels like it's running on fumes here, especially when it drags out for an extra ten minutes with the whole bathysphere thing.

Gamera Super Monster

Oh god, why? At least the worst is behind me now.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 17, 2020, 07:50:43 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 17, 2020, 03:19:04 AMThe Deer Hunter

Surprised you'd not seen that one before.

A long haul but a fantastic film. Supposedly Walken ate nothing but rice and fish for a month to get the look he has in the final scene.

I'm surprised as well, it's one of those films I've been meaning to see for ages but just never got around to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed