Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 829,951 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Jurassic Park

"Are these characters auto... erotica?" :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

The Abyss: Special Edition

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 05, 2020, 11:00:13 PM
The Abyss: Special Edition

How was it ?

Endgame

It took me only 2nd viewing to realise that there're 2 Sherlocks in MCU  :o

Spoiler
First of all, time travelling. It feels a bit like cheap move just to bring everyone back. I guess, writters have put themselves in situation where you just can't deal with it other than with time travel by making Thanos destroying all of Infinity Stones. Tbh, I would've liked MCU move on after Infinity War in that kinda post-apocalyptic setting without "we can't live without who we love so we need to bring them back by any means". Just let the heroes actually lose for one goddamn time and be infuenced by it, to carry that guilt and cope with it !

Anyway, even if you bring time travelling - you need to earn it for it to not feel cheap and cheaty. Show me characters struggling to get it ! Show me Stark writting and tearing countless pieces of paper for endless days and nights ! Show me him biting his knuckles in anger, being completely exhausted by depression and desperation ! Show me him giving up and coming back ! Show me him reaching out for help, colaborating with Hulk and whoever else smart in MCU ! You can't show me sorta funny scene with Hulk experimenting and Stark just inventing time machine like it's nothing and then eating ice cream and expect me to feel something. It's not unrealistic - it's laughable, it feels like a joke and if your plan to bring back half of universe is a joke you can't make me really invested in it

I have mixed feelings about Thanos, too. Brolin's acting was top notch. His first introductory scene was excellent and beatiful and for me, probably the best scene in the whole movie. It's so perfect and logical development of character from where we've last seen him in Infinity War. It solidifies him as non-stereotypical villain - he thinks he's done greater good for Universe, he's done his job, he's reached his goal - what else would he be doing other than Shrekking around, living peacefully in a hut, farming and enjoying his rest ?  Tbh, I felt bad when Thor decapitated him - i know whole "but he killed half of Universe how can you care for him !?rageragerage" deal, Again, he made it seeing it as "greater good", he wasn't enjoying people suffering (if you ask me turning into dust is probaly one of the least painful ways to go), wasn't gonna cause any more trouble after completing his ultimate task and even destroyed the Stones to destroy "temptation". Arguably, the whole previous movie was told from his POV.

But then we're left without Thanos for the rest of the movie only for people to go "OMG they've killed Thanos in the beginning, what a subversion of my expectations !" But we still need him for a grand final battle, right? So what we gonna do ? Bring him back but from the past ! Problem solved. The way they brought him into conflict is also a problem for me. What's the whole deal with Nebula having binary memories ? What ? Why ? Admittedly, I haven't properly watched almost any of MCU movies so maybe I've missed something - please, point me towards where it was established. It feels same as with time travel - just because. Just because we need Thanos involved somehow too. And his all final speech about "Scrap that kill-half-of-the-universe plan, now I basically wanna be a God, wipe entire Universe, create a new one so it's gonna be grateful for it's existence entirely to me and nobody but me" just robes him of all depth he had in Infinity War. It retcons his point in IW entirely - no he's not doing it for the greater good of Universe, he's doing it just because he wants everyone in Universe to be grateful to him. I lost any investment in him, he just became "I hate you so much right now and not for a good reason" villain. I guess, it's a good thing I hate him now, because he's gonna get his ass kicked by Avengers. But I just miss the times when I felt conflicted about his actions. And what's with "kill the entire Universe now and destroy your stubborn annoying little planet with enjoyment" part ? Why ? You actually have a proof that you've succeeded in the future ! Just wipe all of the Avengers (because it's only them who're standing in your way, not the entire Earth, you idiot) and HALF of the Universe and go back to Shrekking around. I guess, he was pretty pissed off watching his own head being cut off so it's clouded his judgement or something. For me, there're two distinct Thanoses in the movie. First one is right from the ending of IW and I love him. Second one is more of a generic villain and I don't like him as much.

It may sound as if I didn't enjoy the movie. But I did ! Even despite it's problems there're a lot of things to enjoy in Endgame. I liked the premise of "11 friends of Ocean but with time travel". I liked that this journey to save half of universe wasn't  overblown and artificially EPIC but rather small and personal and emotional. I liked reinterpretation of scenes from the previous movies I haven't watched, how movie actually made fun of it and of itself.

The opening scene with Stark and Nebula was great. It such unlikely friendship and I love it so much.  Especially. I like Nebula. There's still so much anger and sorrow in her and it was interesting to see her still not used to be treated well by others. Inside she's a good person but it seems as she constantly expects to be stabed in the back and it makes her character even more tragic. That little moment between her and Thanos at the beginning was good too. And damn, she even had to shot herself ! Geez

I actually liked Fat Thor. I know, he was used mostly for jokes (most of them I enjoyed, Fortnite one was cringy) but I still felt that loss in him. I guess, failing sucks even more when you're a god. The scene with his mother was sweet and emotional. It was cool to see him wreck havoc in the final battle. Some people said it should've been hin to defeat Thanos but I actually liked that he didn't get that and think it has potential to be used in future movies. You know, sometimes in your life you DON'T get a chance to redeem yourself and just have to learn to live with it.

Hulk in this movie was probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Selfie joke was cringe but other than that I loved him. It just so hearthwarning to see this green hulking (;D) giant being so nice and embarassed watching himself from the past. That scene with Antman and taco was just soooo sweet.

And, of course, final battle. It makes the whole movie worthwhile and I can re-watch Endgame for that scene alone. I think, the whole movie was made for that scene alone. Seriously, Marvel guys outdid themselves with that one. Even though I have problems with HOW characters got to that point the battle itself was great in my opinion. I experienced legit nerdgasm when portals started opening and I even don't know these characters that well ! It was what "but there're more of us" from TROS wanted to be and should've been. The look of surprise on Thanos' face was brilliant touch. It didn't feel as just a battle it felt as as FREAKING BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL THEMSELVES ! Even though I have problems with "Thanos from the past" I still enjoyed him being so berserk and able to keep up with all of the Avengers even without his f**king Gauntlet. Even though I have problems with his "new plan" I still felt tension "because he's gonna do it again OMG!" and wanted heroes to win as much as I want them to win at the end of IW. And his death was well executed. For a one final moment, I saw a glimpse of Thanos from IW - he didn't go roaring in pain or trying to kill Stark - he accepted his defeat and quietly waited for his death.

I actually surprised how much of a epilogue there's in a movie. What, 20 minutes, at least ? Final shot with Cap being able to live life he always wanted and just being happy is perfect send off for his character, movie and whole era.

Couple of words on how watching Endgame influenced my opinion on Infinity War. *insert drumroll here* !!!SPOILERS!!! It didn't. I still enjoy IW for what it is and I enjoyed Endgame even despite problems I had with it. They don't feel like two parts of one story (even technically they totally are), they feel like two separate stories with distinct tones. IW is like Empire Strikes Back or Alien 3 while Endgame is more of Return of the Jedi or Aliens. So, I still gonna watch IW for its more dark and depressive tone and dream about what could've been with world after The Snap and watch Endgame when I want a ton fun and optimism. For the most part, problems of Endgame come from just how high the bar and expectations were set after IW and It's maybe even impossible to come up with 100 % satisfactive Part 2 after such Part 1

P.S. How the f**k Iron Man managed to get all of the Stones just be holding Thanos' hand for what - 10 seconds ?
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Summer Wars

Not at all what I was expecting from this based on the one or two images I saw, but overall a very good blending of different styles of anime storytelling.

Huggs

Huggs

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Cider House Rules

Spider-Man cucks Ant-Man.

Huggs

Huggs

The Hateful 8

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Really great, entertaining stuff. And for a film made under the Hays Code, they sure as shit let Robin rack up quite the body count here. There's a montage consisting entirely of him killiing evil knights with his bow.

Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)

It's a little dated in a few places, and the use of close ups doesn't quite work, but overall it's really good, and very straightforward with the subject matter for a 30s film.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 30, 2020, 01:34:55 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 30, 2020, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 30, 2020, 12:49:51 PMAnd you finally completed your Michael Biehn Appreciation Course! Congratulations!

Not until you watch Tombstone.

She did. At least I think she did. But yeah, that's definitely a course requirement.  :)  Abyss, Navy Seals, Planet Terror on the otherhand, not that he's bad in them, but she can miss. (imo).
Don't miss The Abyss!

kwisatz

kwisatz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpQ2rWFlYc

Best german movie I've seen in a while. Actually gave me Joker vibes, but with Henry Miller in the directing chair or something.  :D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Mars Attacks!

"Do not run, we are your friends!"

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Oh man, I haven't seen that for far too long. Such a good film. Incredible cast too. I especially like that Jack Nicholson pulls a Sellers and is in it twice for no reason.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 11, 2020, 09:23:19 AM
Oh man, I haven't seen that for far too long. Such a good film. Incredible cast too. I especially like that Jack Nicholson pulls a Sellers and is in it twice for no reason.

The bit where he takes his wig off randomly is great.

GoldenEye

I love how Bond has a champagne cooler built into his car. His civilian car, no less. :laugh:

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Killing Hasselhoff

This was really stupid.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Richard Jewell (2019)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed