Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 774,526 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 06, 2020, 03:37:11 PMLove the choir in the opening credits. It almost sounds Latin.  I need to look up what they're saying.

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but 99 times out of 100 when you hear that in a film it's just gobbledegook.

Film's ace though.

Judge Dredd aka Incomprehensible Shouting: The Movie

You know what? To hell with the haters, I love this film. It's absolute madness from beginning to end, one of the most comic book-looking movies ever made (at one point Stallone uses an assault rifle almost as big as he is), the villains are an absolute riot (constantly shouting), Max von Sydow turned in a perforce of which the movie is totally undeserving, and the score by Predator's Alan Silvestri is boss. Whisper it quietly but I far prefer this to the Karl Urban redo. It's so much more memorable, even if not always for the right reasons.

Every time I see it, the obvious edit when the clones start waking up reminds how badly I want the director's cut that will never happen :(

SM

SM

The production design of the Stallone flick looked like it was straight out of the comic.  Remarkably good.

First problem was Stallone taking the helmet off and it never really recovered.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

See, I'm not a comic book reader and have no real knowledge of or investment in the character, so the fact he showed his face didn't bother me.

SiL

SiL

I like the film, but it feels castrated in a lot of ways. I think if they kept the same script and design but had Verhoeven directing and Stallone in the helmet the whole time, it would've been up there with Robocop as definitive adult sci-fi.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I loved that ABC Warrior Robot.

Armand Assante did plenty of awesome scenery chewing as well.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Nah, the Urban version is better.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

"I had a friend once...I judged him."

Prez

Prez

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 07, 2020, 10:44:27 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 06, 2020, 03:37:11 PMLove the choir in the opening credits. It almost sounds Latin.  I need to look up what they're saying.

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but 99 times out of 100 when you hear that in a film it's just gobbledegook.

Film's ace though.

Judge Dredd aka Incomprehensible Shouting: The Movie

You know what? To hell with the haters, I love this film. It's absolute madness from beginning to end, one of the most comic book-looking movies ever made (at one point Stallone uses an assault rifle almost as big as he is), the villains are an absolute riot (constantly shouting), Max von Sydow turned in a perforce of which the movie is totally undeserving, and the score by Predator's Alan Silvestri is boss. Whisper it quietly but I far prefer this to the Karl Urban redo. It's so much more memorable, even if not always for the right reasons.

Every time I see it, the obvious edit when the clones start waking up reminds how badly I want the director's cut that will never happen :(

Big Dredd comic fan and likewise it's a guilty pleasure. They nailed the visual style perfectly but for me once Sly took off his helmet he became Sly and not Joe Dredd anymore.

The Urban film for a purist like me was superior and more faithful even if it was on a much smaller scale as I felt it was more true to the tone and character.

I enjoy them both.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And Dredd lacks Rob Schneider, so it has that going for it.

Huggs

Huggs

Independence Day

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 07, 2020, 07:32:05 PMNah, the Urban version is better.

I probably wouldn't argue with that. But for me, the Urban movie was ruined by the fact I saw it after The Raid. I couldn't get away from the fact it was just much a less memorable version of that, but with the ultra-gritty sci-fi look that had become so tiresome by then.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 08, 2020, 12:48:18 AMAnd Dredd lacks Rob Schneider, so it has that going for it.

Even I can't quite believe I'm saying it, but I quite enjoy Schneider in the Stallone movie :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Almost Famous

"You know what I do? I connect. I get people off. I look for the guy who isn't getting off, and I make him get off. Actually, that you can print!" :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 08, 2020, 09:21:50 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 07, 2020, 07:32:05 PMNah, the Urban version is better.

I probably wouldn't argue with that. But for me, the Urban movie was ruined by the fact I saw it after The Raid. I couldn't get away from the fact it was just much a less memorable version of that, but with the ultra-gritty sci-fi look that had become so tiresome by then.

That is unfortunate because Dredd was scripted and filmed long before The Raid.

I remember a lot of dimwits hollering "Raid Rip-Off, Raid Rip-Off!!" when Dredd was released shortly after The Raid. As if the makers saw The Raid and then thought it a smashing idea to make a cheap knockoff with a famous British comic book character as the lead.  ::)

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 07, 2020, 07:32:05 PM
Nah, the Urban version is better.

As John Wagner (2000AD writer and creator of the Judge Dredd character) said, "Dredd wasn't a remake, it was a proper make".

SiL

SiL

I prefer Dredd to The Raid.

The Raid's great, but I actually thought it overstayed its welcome by the end. The final boss fight was incredibly frustrating for me.

Last movie I watched:

Pontypool

Been trying to track this down for years. A bit patchy, with the first and last 10 minutes or so weaker than the rest, but there's some great tension to be had.

I also noticed they used the sound of John Hurt during the chest bursting scene in Alien as audio of a zombie victim about half an hour in ;D

j0nesy

j0nesy

i really enjoyed pontypool, may need to rewatch!

there's a new original film on amazon prime called the vast of night, it has similar vibes if you were into it enough

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed