The Predator Will Be R-Rated!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2016, 07:21:54 AM

Author
The Predator Will Be R-Rated! (Read 29,862 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on May 13, 2016, 01:08:38 PM
Not really a surprise. The days of PG13 movies are long behind us. Though if Prometheus had been PG13, I wouldn't have been overly fussed about it.

I think the rating will be a concern for a while thanks to AvP. I think folk will always find it reassuring to hear that they're going to be R.

Johnny Handsome

I think it's great to have an R-Rating as it opens the door to all possible scenarios. But i gotta be honest, if it would have been PG-13 i wouldn't really give a damn either, i've seen so many good, dark and edgy PG-13 movies lately that i had a great time with, i think you could still pull off something really great with Predator.

BUT i'm still happy they are keeping it R, of course, it's just more suitable for the character.

FiorinaFury161

Thank goodness.

THE CITY HUNTER

Thank god(great news in times of darkness)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm not surprised that The Predator will be R-rated, so was 'Predators'.

Like it's a good sign, no doubt, I'm just not that surprised.

Also PG-13 can be scary as balls if it's done right. Horror isn't strictly predicated on gore and violence to be scary. 'The Ring' (American version) is scary as f**k, and it's PG-13. 'Jaws' has some incredibly tense moments, and 'Poltergeist' has its share of freaky shit, and those are rated PG.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 13, 2016, 03:32:05 PM
I'm not surprised that The Predator will be R-rated, so was 'Predators'.

Like it's a good sign, no doubt, I'm just not that surprised.

Also PG-13 can be scary as balls if it's done right. Horror isn't strictly predicated on gore and violence to be scary. 'The Ring' (American version) is scary as f**k, and it's PG-13. 'Jaws' has some incredibly tense moments, and 'Poltergeist' has its share of freaky shit, and those are rated PG.
True but for a movie like predator gore and violence is a must.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Seems a bit silly to me for them to have to state it's going to be Rated R though. Well yea, that's what I was assuming from the start. I would have been very disappointed if it was anything else but R. These aren't movies for little kids so they don't need to be made for a younger audience. Hell, I'm sure most of us saw Predator & Alien at a young age & we had no problem handling the R rating back then, no need to tone it down now I say bring it on! I'm slowly getting more excited about this but I'm still weary. My guard is still up but it's lowing a little bit at a time.

Corporal Hicks

Just updated the initial news post with some news comments in ScreenRants interview: http://screenrant.com/the-predator-shane-black-pitch-deadpool/

Update #1 (13/05/16) – ScreenRant has just posted their own interview with Shane Black where the topic of the R-rating and budget came up. Black commented on the success of Fox and Ryan Reynold's Deadpool was instrumental in the decisions made by Fox: "Before Deadpool everyone was saying exactly the opposite. It's only been recently that this sort of thing has become more palatable to the decision makers."

Black also discusses more about the approach his is taking The Predator, again emphasizing the desire for The Predator to be an event film and to be something that reinvigorates interest in the series: "That's what the goal is here, to take the Predator from a sort of knock-off version that gets a certain amount of money every few years to one that's more eventized, that you would get your tickets for it months in advance, actually know it's coming, and say, 'Yeah, let's line up and see that.'"

overthere

overthere

Why is everyone acting like Deadpool invented R rating? There were plenty of successful movies rated R in the last 10 years. Predators were R rated, so it's not something out of the ordinary for a Predator movie.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

It does irritate me that everyone is acting like Deadpool is the first one to do it. Honestly, I didn't even find Deadpool to be all that violent, I've seen stuff 10 times worse than that, I found it to be quite tame actually compared to how people were making it out to be. But then again, I was watching stuff like RoboCop & Predator when I was in the 4th grade so I'm quite used to it all. Hell, Starship Troopers was more violent than Deadpool (and more entertaining in my opinion). To me it's more like "It's about time we went back to R rated movies" but I hate that it's being treated like it's something new & Deadpool was the start of it. For as meh, as AVP was, I still think it suffered greatly from that PG-13 rated & really should have been an R. Like I said, I was already assuming The Predator was going to be R but the having to state that it is makes me weary.

Mike

Mike

Would be cool if Adrien Brody had a cameo in the new movie.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2016, 08:23:27 PM
Just updated the initial news post with some news comments in ScreenRants interview: http://screenrant.com/the-predator-shane-black-pitch-deadpool/

Update #1 (13/05/16) – ScreenRant has just posted their own interview with Shane Black where the topic of the R-rating and budget came up. Black commented on the success of Fox and Ryan Reynold's Deadpool was instrumental in the decisions made by Fox: "Before Deadpool everyone was saying exactly the opposite. It's only been recently that this sort of thing has become more palatable to the decision makers."

Black also discusses more about the approach his is taking The Predator, again emphasizing the desire for The Predator to be an event film and to be something that reinvigorates interest in the series: "That's what the goal is here, to take the Predator from a sort of knock-off version that gets a certain amount of money every few years to one that's more eventized, that you would get your tickets for it months in advance, actually know it's coming, and say, 'Yeah, let's line up and see that.'"

LOL! Oh come on. This has to be marketing to push Deadpool dvd sales or something, right?

Are they expecting The Predator to make DP numbers? Cause that would be crazy. I know that Predators is a long running franchise but the movies are seen and lower grade sci-fi monster flicks. And they all basically made their money back but they are not going to get 3/4 of a billion in ticket sales.

I know Hollywood doesnt like to spend more money than needed but what would a pg-13 Predator film do but hurt the franchise and lowering it's money potential further.

DP is really the reason you are dropping 60 mil on a basic guaranteed return if the film is at least average.   

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: DaddyYautja on May 14, 2016, 12:04:02 AM
LOL! Oh come on. This has to be marketing to push Deadpool dvd sales or something, right?

Are they expecting The Predator to make DP numbers? Cause that would be crazy. I know that Predators is a long running franchise but the movies are seen and lower grade sci-fi monster flicks. And they all basically made their money back but they are not going to get 3/4 of a billion in ticket sales.

I know Hollywood doesnt like to spend more money than needed but what would a pg-13 Predator film do but hurt the franchise and lowering it's money potential further.

DP is really the reason you are dropping 60 mil on a basic guaranteed return if the film is at least average.   

haha you're right man. If they're expecting DP numbers or a turn out, I think they're going to be disappointed. Yea there is a lot of fans for the franchise but you're right, essentially they're just seen as sci-fi monster flicks. Let's be honest, the Alien & Predator franchise is not Marvel or Star Wars. I don't think it'll ever get that massive. Hell there was barely anyone in the theater when I saw AVP & I saw it opening day. I remember 5 people being in AVP:R haha I didn't hit Predators in theater so I don't know how the turn out was for that but yea if they're expecting Predator to  reach Marvel or Star Wars status, I just don't think it'll happen. Hopefully I'm proved wrong but I doubt it based on previous theater experiences. The only one that had a good turn out that I was at was for Resurrection but I got to see an advanced screening of it before it was officially released in theater.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Disappointed by this news.  I was hoping for an X rating this time around.

Corporal Hicks

I think it's just a shallow boost of confidence in R-rated films being able to make returns. Then again, if they're aiming for an event film akin to a Marvel release, maybe they are wanting to make it something big like Deadpool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed