Class Action Suit Issued

Started by Elicas, May 01, 2013, 12:24:58 AM

Author
Class Action Suit Issued (Read 59,173 times)

Inverse Effect

Cal427eb

HicksLives!

HicksLives!

Quote from: Nazrel on May 01, 2013, 04:19:00 AM
I wonder what crap Pitchford is going to pull out of his butt on this one.

What ever it is, it will be a pointless gesture.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Took them long enough. I enjoy playing the game and I want to see gearbox fry for this.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

I'm glad this has happened. Just because the majority of people rush to go buy the newest CoD game (when they're all the same game in essence) doesn't mean GBX can do the same with a well-respected franchise like Alien, cheap out the fans with hype alone and think that all Of us are going to put up with it. I still play it but my disappointment in the story and overall features has not subsided.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/01/the-aliens-colonial-marines-class-action-lawsuit-is-wrong.aspx

Here's an interesting gameinformer opinion piece about this. I do think the lawsuit is without merit, even though it's clear customers were mislead. Are you going to sue a film studio after watching a bad movie that had a good trailer?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 02, 2013, 04:44:12 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/01/the-aliens-colonial-marines-class-action-lawsuit-is-wrong.aspx

Here's an interesting gameinformer opinion piece about this. I do think the lawsuit is without merit, even though it's clear customers were mislead. Are you going to sue a film studio after watching a bad movie that had a good trailer?
Is that the argument, though? It relies on subjectivity ("I didn't like the movie, despite the hype"), whereas the GBX case doesn't ("there's nothing indicative of the advertised product in the actual product"). I thought the debacle concerned advertising a game (content) that was not present in the final product, and probably never intended to be. The allegation is that GBX knew their product was something it was not and advertised it that way. When I think of the same sort of thing happening in movies (like Drive or The Grey's action-orientated trailers) the actual content of the trailers was still in the movie, albeit in different context. That's not the case with A:CM.

Samus007

Samus007

Personally, for me, I hope to one day soon read a headline on IGN etc that says, "Gearbox closing up shop, going out of business". I despise Randy Pitchford and all the crap lies that came out of that companies mouth about this game. Seeing that headline would make me think to myself, "haha".

WinterActual

WinterActual

Are you going to sue a film studio after watching a bad movie that had a good trailer?
In the movie trailer they are showing ACTUAL parts of the movie. In our case they showed us something that was completely cut from the game. The garage scene and the crusher scene from the demo are no where to be found in the actual game (as you already know).

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

That's not the same argument, if this is the Game Informer article in a nutshell, then it's a waste of the author's time to have even written it.

Nightlord

Nightlord

He's wrong, simple as.

Only good can come out of this, it'll stop devs and publishers from advertising games years in advance when the finished product is nothing alike, maybe they'll also stop devoting so much damn money to marketing and actually work on their game.

It's not like we get anything out of this lawsuit but screw it they can go for it and try to have something done about all the fake advertising in the industry.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

All that stuff in the demo was EARLY footage, shown more than two years in advance of release. Very often early demos do not reflect the final product. The most famous instance of this was the Halo 2 demo, which was highly scripted and featured a segment that was drastically different in the final release. This is simply the nature of game development. If you look at almost all of the videos and trailers in the months leading up to release, they were made using the final version of the game. As the gameinformer article illustrates, the best way to tell if a game is worth a purchase or not is by reading the reviews to get a general consensus of the game. Naturally the publisher and the developer are going to try to advertise it by showing it looking its best. The developers do not owe gamers a product that meets their satisfaction.

Also, there are plenty of film trailers that show scenes or elements that don't end up in the final film. Just look at the Predators trailer.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 02, 2013, 06:31:44 PM
All that stuff in the demo was EARLY footage, shown more than two years in advance of release. Very often early demos do not reflect the final product. This is simply the nature of game development. If you look at almost all of the videos and trailers in the months leading up to release, they were made using the final version of the game. As the gameinformer article illustrates, the best way to tell if a game is worth a purchase or not is by reading the reviews to get a general consensus of the game. Naturally the publisher and the developer is going to try to advertise it by showing it looking its best. The developers do not owe gamers a product that meets their satisfaction.

All that early footage ended up looking MILES better in ever regard. The final product was basically a game that looked like it was still in early development. It's as if you paid to see a movie, but ended up getting the version with the green screens still in the frame, terrible audio, and text saying "special effect of shield, here."

And the bullshit about the developers not having to make the game to our satisfaction is horseshit. They cannot, and should not stoop the such low levels to release a piece of shit. No one here ever expects a shitty game, and the developers damn well should not have aspired to make one in the first place. They know better than that, and still decided to release a crap product. The standard should always be to do the best, and clearly Gearbox and Sega wanted nothing to do with that mentality.

EDIT

And that bit about the Predators trailer is not the same damn thing. The movie we got was the same as advertised, it wasn't horribly butchered to death. A:CM was ripped apart, the entire hype train Gearbox set up was calling this basically the be all, end all of everything in the Alien Franchise.

MAKE ALIEN 3 BETTER

TRUE SEQUEL

CO-OP IS THE SHIT

AN AMAZING STORY UNLIKE ANYTHING BEFORE

etc., etc.

"Bullshit, all of it."

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

You're right on that, they should have gone for something great, and they failed. But they suffer for it in the marketplace with poor game sales. I'm just saying, it's very common for early press showings, trailers, demos, etc. to look better, worse, or close to the final product. And developers are always going to praise their own game as much as they can in interviews, even if it's all bullshit. This is why we have game reviews. Suing for disappointment, even if something initially looked promising but ended up lacking, just seems pointless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed