Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 952,600 times)

ByotchBeng

ByotchBeng

Dusted off Final Fantasy IX recently. It's been fun replaying it, especially doing the side quests I never bothered with when I was an impatient kid.  I do hope they remake it one day as they had remastered FF7.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: ByotchBeng on Feb 25, 2022, 08:05:54 PM
Dusted off Final Fantasy IX recently. It's been fun replaying it, especially doing the side quests I never bothered with when I was an impatient kid.  I do hope they remake it one day as they had remastered FF7.

Love that game! Can't beat FFVII, in my opinion the gaming GOAT, but it's not too far behind and is a heck of a lot of fun to play. Stupid, nonsensical final boss takes a few marks off though...

Ingwar

Ingwar

FF6, 7, 8 and 9 are my favourite from the series. FF7 is probably my nr 1.

ByotchBeng

ByotchBeng

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2022, 08:13:03 PM

Love that game! Can't beat FFVII, in my opinion the gaming GOAT, but it's not too far behind and is a heck of a lot of fun to play. Stupid, nonsensical final boss takes a few marks off though...
Very fun stuff 😎 I've never tried the newer final fantasy games (FFX and on) Have y'all played them? I know the animation is great, but how does it compare to the classics?

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 26, 2022, 11:14:56 PM
;D right on

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Jumping between a bunch of Nintendo games:

Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
Mario 64 (Switch)

Darkness

Darkness

Finished Deathloop. I did enjoy it. I liked the powers but obviously Invisibility was.a game changer. I did kinda want more than 4 locations but I liked the mystery in it.

I've started Far Cry 6 now.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Elden Ring.

I don't know why I get souls games, I've only ever beat Demon Souls.  I hate timing games but I end up getting every souls game anyways. 

On the subject of FF.

I love all of them but FF7, FF8, and FF9 will all hold a personal place in my heart because they hit right in my preteen/early teenage years that helped define what kind of media I liked.

I personally think FF8 is my overall favorite because it was the first one I ever finished.  I had 7 earlier but I was too young to understand how to play it at the time.  I know there is a whole helluva lot wrong with 8, but I still love it, flaws and all.  I spent so much time defending 8 from 7 fans that for awhile I pretended I hated 7. 

Of the new ones I've played ten, and fifteen and ff7 remake.  Ten is also a classic.  If you can get past the awful synching and sometimes the awful dialogue used to try and synch with the character's mouth movements it is an underrated gem.

Fifteen is a bro story so some female gamers didn't like it.  But I enjoyed it.  The story is kind of meh, but the overall theme of brotherhood is captured perfectly.  To me that was more impactful than the story. 

FFVII Remake when it is complete will be one of the best in the franchise.  It's not really a remake in the traditional sense but it somehow manages to capture all that was cool in the original without it feeling like an exact retread.  I loved the first chapter of it and any fan of the original should play it. 

I hope the same kind of treatment can be done with six in the future. 

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: ByotchBeng on Feb 27, 2022, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 26, 2022, 08:13:03 PM

Very fun stuff 😎 I've never tried the newer final fantasy games (FFX and on) Have y'all played them? I know the animation is great, but how does it compare to the classics?

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 26, 2022, 11:14:56 PM
;D right on

I liked FFX, though it's not a patch on VII and IX. FFVIII is at least one of my biggest gaming disappointments. Dumb story, tedious combat and most of your team are unlikeable douchebags.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didnt find them unlikeable, but aside from Squall they all had very flat character arcs.  And Squall kind of had to grow out of being unlikeable depending on how you played him.  If you play him as a non douche, he's actually a pretty helpful guy in the early part of the campaign. 

I do find it interesting that if you watch people that play as Squall and complain about his negative character traits, they almost always choose his negative responses to things in the dialogue options.   

This is also one of the few FFs where you don't get to play a nonhuman character.  Even if most non humans in the FF series are stereotypes, just the fact that they are different adds a little spice to the game.  You know you are going to get to go to the characters hometown and do something different.  Not the case for VIII. 

FF8 suffers from having all the primary characters coming from the exact same backstory and switching to Laguna who ate up the screentime when it was his.  People wanting to see more of Laguna than Squall had a legit beef. 

I honestly think FF8 needs more of an extended backstory with other games than FF7, not because 7 doesn't deserve it, but because there was so much unanswered in FF8.  It doesn't feel complete. 

Despite that..........I still like it best.  For pure nostalgia sake.  I logged a shit ton of hours into that game.  And was quasi replaying the remaster before Elden Ring came out. 

It's kind of like FEAR with me.  I know its not the best FPS shooter of all time.  But it is my favorite FPS shooter of all time. 

ByotchBeng

ByotchBeng

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 28, 2022, 05:22:02 AM
I didnt find them unlikeable, but aside from Squall they all had very flat character arcs.  And Squall kind of had to grow out of being unlikeable depending on how you played him.  If you play him as a non douche, he's actually a pretty helpful guy in the early part of the campaign. 

I do find it interesting that if you watch people that play as Squall and complain about his negative character traits, they almost always choose his negative responses to things in the dialogue options.   

This is also one of the few FFs where you don't get to play a nonhuman character.  Even if most non humans in the FF series are stereotypes, just the fact that they are different adds a little spice to the game.  You know you are going to get to go to the characters hometown and do something different.  Not the case for VIII. 

FF8 suffers from having all the primary characters coming from the exact same backstory and switching to Laguna who ate up the screentime when it was his.  People wanting to see more of Laguna than Squall had a legit beef. 

I honestly think FF8 needs more of an extended backstory with other games than FF7, not because 7 doesn't deserve it, but because there was so much unanswered in FF8.  It doesn't feel complete. 

Despite that..........I still like it best.  For pure nostalgia sake.  I logged a shit ton of hours into that game.  And was quasi replaying the remaster before Elden Ring came out. 

It's kind of like FEAR with me.  I know its not the best FPS shooter of all time.  But it is my favorite FPS shooter of all time.

I have fond memories of FF8 as well for similar reasons. The nostalgia is a big part of having these games close to our hearts. It wasn't always about the characters, storyline or animation (although I enjoyed giving everyone a strange name in all FF games, because I was a dork of a kid.) It's also about association, what game got you through stuff, reminding you of your youth, easier days.  But I too wish they'd add more for FF8, it deserves a revival.  Kind of like when I get into a debate about N64 games, a majority of them were all fun and interesting, especially for the time.  But I have a special place in my heart for Banjo Kazooie/tooie when everyone else freaks out about Mario lol Kingdom hearts was another fun one for me and the fact they had FF7/8 characters added, was a treat down memory lane.  It's been fun introducing these games to the kiddos.  Also thanks for laying down FFX and on. I'm thinking of giving them a shot some time, try them out.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Definitely try x and ff7 remake.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Anna: Extended Edition

AKA how to make Silent Hill puzzles seem logical and straightforward.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Bloodborne

cause I'm p1ssed

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Been hopping between, like, 5 different Mario Kart games lately.

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

old school runescape

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed