Alien Quadrilogy VS Alien Anthology blu ray sets

Started by zipfunk, Oct 29, 2018, 02:19:26 PM

Author
Alien Quadrilogy VS Alien Anthology blu ray sets (Read 13,096 times)

Janek

Did not want to make another topic so I just going to use this thread if ok. I want to buy all the Alien films on Blu-ray/4K. What collection on e.g. Amazon would you guys go for? What version includes more material and so forth? Cheers in advance.

Huggs

Huggs

I owned the quadrilogy on DVD until Blu-ray really took off. The quadrilogy had mountains of content. Now I just watch the Blu-rays for the superior picture and sound quality. And the Alien films on blu-ray look more than gorgeous.

I don't know how much of the bonus content carried over to the Blu-rays, as I haven't really watched any of the bonus discs. I used to enjoy bonus content, but I honestly find it a bit tiresome now.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Janek on Apr 21, 2020, 10:46:47 PM
Did not want to make another topic so I just going to use this thread if ok. I want to buy all the Alien films on Blu-ray/4K. What collection on e.g. Amazon would you guys go for? What version includes more material and so forth? Cheers in advance.

You would have to get a few various things, in order to maximize getting all of the content and as many films in 4K as possible.

Alien: Anthology for the four original films on Blu-ray plus all of the bonus content.
The standalone Alien 4K release, for the film in 4K.
Prometheus 4K, for the film in 4K.
Prometheus 3D Collector's Edition, for all of the bonus content.
Alien Covenant 4K, which does contain all of the bonus content.

Unfortunately, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection do not yet have 4K releases.

Elmazalman

Hang onto the old ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD set for the *original aspect ratio for the documentaries - and the one exclusive ALIEN outtake (from Brett's death, found in the feature-length documentary on ALIEN: RESURRECTION) that was mysteriously dropped and replaced for the BD ALIEN ANTHOLOGY set.

*The documentaries have been cropped (badly) for the ALIEN ANTHOLOGY set.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Janek on Apr 21, 2020, 10:46:47 PMWhat collection on e.g. Amazon would you guys go for? What version includes more material and so forth? Cheers in advance.

Nightmare's list is basically it, but if you're in the UK they additionally did a set that combined the Anthology box set and the Prometheus 3D set. Was called Alien to Prometheus: The Evolution, or something like that. No idea what it goes for now but it might save a little on cost/clutter getting all of that stuff in one go.

The only other thing you might want to consider is the original DVD release of Alien (available either separately or as part of the Alien Legacy set) because that came with an alternate audio track for Alien that has never been released anywhere else.

Elmazalman

You'll also need THE ALIEN SAGA DVD release from 2001 (R1 NTSC). It includes the ALIEN Sigourney Weaver screen tests and interviews at the time (1985) with ALIENS cast members - not found in either the Quadrilogy nor Anthology sets.

Janek

4K it is.

Thanks so much guys for your input, it has really helped me out. Cheers!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed