Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,185 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote"We are [going to make another], we are," Scott told EW from the set of All the Money in the World. "I think what we have to do is gradually drift away from the alien stuff." Say what? Scott's Alien: Covenant, which came out earlier this year, felt like a return to some legit old-school scares but failed to set the domestic box office ablaze (though, combined with international sales, it ended with north of $240 million in ticket revenue). "People say, 'You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting,' so I put a lot of that in Covenant and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that's more interesting. I think AI is becoming much more dangerous and therefore more interesting."

It's true that Covenant's best moments tended to include Michael Fassbender, who was doing double duty as good-or-bad androids David and Walter. (We could go on here about how Fassbender should probably be in the Oscar race for this "fingering" recorder scene alone but have been advised against it.)

"Fassbender was an AI," continues Scott. "Ian Holm [from Alien] was an AI; Roy Batty [from Blade Runner] was an AI; so was Rachael [from Blade Runner]."

Scott brings up a Facebook experiment from last summer to prove his point. "They put two AIs together and they were communing. It already invented a f—ing language! And they couldn't decipher what the language was so they had to switch them off. What was said and where's it gone? They could have already implemented something we don't know."

Uh, we're scared already.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/04/ridley-scott-alien-franchise-covenant/

trilobite

trilobite

you can't have an alien film with no alien at all, sure set it in the same universe but please don't attach the alien name to it
i am both worried and intrigued as to where this can go

0321recon

I would take anything from Ridley with a grain of salt since either he could pass on or Fox gets acquired by Disney or Comcast/Universal and they'll put everything on freeze and asses what to do with the franchise. 

trilobite

trilobite

does anyone else feel like we're just leading to an eventual reboot? scary though

0321recon

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 04, 2017, 06:41:59 PM
does anyone else feel like we're just leading to an eventual reboot? scary though

If the sale occurs, I fear that's what is going to happen. I'm not keen on that idea since the first three films are great on their own. As much the as the prequels have issues, their far better with Covenant competing as the tie of third best with Alien3 imho. Though, studio meddling starting with Alien 3 led us to the situation we are at the moment.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM
"People say, 'You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting,' so I put a lot of that in Covenant and it fitted nicely. But I think if you go again you need to start finding another solution that's more interesting. I think AI is becoming much more dangerous and therefore more interesting."

1. No, it didn't fit nicely.
2. It is interesting but why it has to be main core of Alien movie?

Baron Von Marlon

Thanks for posting.

Give me the impression that Walter will return.

Quote from: trilobite on Dec 04, 2017, 06:41:59 PM

Don't see why they have to reboot it when they can just create a new separate movie, not connected to any previous ones.
Otherwise they'll have to the introduce the xeno again and so on.
I think a Blomkamp movie is more likely. With someone else writing ofcourse.

Maron

Maron

So it's confirmed that we will get another David Movie, after Sir Scott once again mentioned how lame the Alien has become.   ::)

Good god. Call this movie Walter:Resurrection

Im serious.

Whos_Nick

I don't fear a reboot at this point, I welcome one

Rorkes

Rorkes

In Covenent I felt David was far more scary than the Aliens, especially in the closing scene. I think future films will lead to David creating an Alien Queen and then being killed/damaged beyond saving by his creation. A very poetic end considering his agenda and motivation. The Alien does need a decent story now though, perhaps Blomkamps vision of following up on Aliens all out action is just what the series now needs

genocyber

Hey, asshole. The movie is about the ALIEN. Not your boy toy David.

Rudiger

Oh no. Big drooling aliens that want to jump out and rip you to bits are fun and scary. A wonky robot playing science isn't.

reecebomb

reecebomb

We are going to do another Alien David movie. "People say, 'You need more alien, you need more face pulling, need more chest bursting" - said no one ever, but since the a shitty version of a xenomorph for whatever dubious reason was introduced people are right to be twice as dissapointed, for ruining the immense potential of Prometheus sequel and ultimately ruining Alien. Good for you if you disagree, not a crime, but i know i'm not alone on this.
Whatever happens i do hope the prequels are a full reboot in the end that have nothing to do with Alien classics, they just don't gel at all.
And let's be honest as an Alien film, Covenant is pretty mediocre all around, the pondering on the AI thing wasn't much better, it's worlds apart from Blade Runner.

Quote from: Rorkes on Dec 04, 2017, 07:52:05 PM
In Covenent I felt David was far more scary than the Aliens, especially in the closing scene.

Not surprised, the xenomorphs in Covenant are lame as hell, behaviorally and visually, as a really average faceless cgi minion monster, that thing is perfectly catered for the superhero crowd. AvP movie with that kind of presentation could be forgiven.

Scorpio

Ridley is right.  A new movie focusing on David would be fantastic.  A great way to revive the franchise, rather than bogging it down in the tropes of the past. 

Can't wait for Covenant 2, I had a blast with Covenant 1 and Prometheus.  Keep them coming Ridley Scott.  :)

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Maybe with David as an Alien Leader, the one who could turn the Covenant ship into the Alien's hive on Origae-6, or something similar like that. But story primary about Android without any Aliens in it, set in the same Alien world. . I guess that is useless idea, and that is stuff for Blade Runner instead. I dont have anything against androids in Alien films by the way, David is the villain ok, I understand that. But we just want more new or old Aliens, and somehow got some connection with the dead Engineer from the first movie, is this so hard to hear?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed