New essay-type book - ALIEN LEGACIES: THE EVOLUTION OF THE FRANCHISE

Started by Retropocalypse, Feb 25, 2023, 09:24:16 PM

Author
New essay-type book - ALIEN LEGACIES: THE EVOLUTION OF THE FRANCHISE (Read 9,893 times)

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

There's an upcoming book titled "Alien Legacies: The Evolution of the Franchise" coming out at the end of March 2023.

It's an academic piece published by Oxford University Press and seems to explore the franchise through a contemporary lens.

I figured this might be of interest to collectors or film enthusiasts:

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/alien-legacies-9780197556030

EDIT: It's now out, available in hardcover or paperback.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Thanks for posting this.

I definitely will be checking this out.

Wweyland

I like the expanded universe aspect of it

Corporal Hicks

Darwinsgirl

FYI

Book Depository has this discounted with free shipping.

Here in the U.S. Amazon has this at full price.

Wweyland

Just curious, can anyone write a "Documentary-style" book about the Alien series without having any license issues? What about a "reference book"?

SiL

Anyone can write and publish essays about the series. You can write making of material too - Beautiful Monsters was unauthorised.

You just can't really use any licensed or copyrighted material in the books such as photos, stills, etc.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Mar 02, 2023, 06:44:22 PMFYI

Book Depository has this discounted with free shipping.

Here in the U.S. Amazon has this at full price.

Is Book Depository cheaper for other countries? Because this book is definitely more expensive than the link in the OP.

Darwinsgirl

Hi, I only have seen the U.S. link since that is where I reside.

Sarahlyn35

Ordered - thanks for the shout out!

Corporal Hicks

My copy finally arrived a day or two ago (Amazon had them before). It's a collection of essays - which I hadn't realized from the description. I've not dug into it yet.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

This looks decent, I have Alien Woman* which was pretty solid though I disagreed with many elements of the more psychoanalytic essays lol

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 25, 2023, 07:09:33 AMMy copy finally arrived a day or two ago (Amazon had them before). It's a collection of essays - which I hadn't realized from the description. I've not dug into it yet.

Got the kindle version, digging into it now!

I'm enjoying it so far! It's similar to Alien Woman but more up to date with the prequels and even looks at the transmedia  storytelling in the series.

Corporal Hicks

I didn't make much headway with this one. I've started rereading Phalanx actually, but I eventually got through the first essay. Admittedly, it's been some time since I read or wrote any academic-type essays but man, was I bored.

It was a 20 or so page essay with an admittedly really interesting premise of "I cannot stand the Alien films, let's explore what triggers my repulsion and why." The actual discovery and content was about 2 pages, the rest was just referencing other works. (That maybe be hyperbole but actual interesting content relevant to Alien was minimal).

skhellter

in other words - it's a bunch of boring navel gazing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed