Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 93,645 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Oy, too much to reply.

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 09, 2021, 10:07:30 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2021, 12:27:29 PM
So I played last night in Intense & Extreme modes and much of the game I stood in place and shot. Let me repeat this, for much of the game the enemies came to me and I stood in place and shot. Sometimes shoulder to shoulder. So this is a no-brainer guys that this aspect can be... a no-brainer!

You mean to tell me you haven't maxed your classes, yet there are no moments on extreme or intense where the Aliens break a defense line and you're forced to become more mobile?

Who said I didn't max out some clases? My Vasquez (Demolition) and R.J. MacReady (Tech) are fully maxed heroes! 100% with 100% weapons!

And to answer your main question, I will bold a different part:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2021, 12:27:29 PM
So I played last night in Intense & Extreme modes and much of the game I stood in place and shot. Let me repeat this, for much of the game the enemies came to me and I stood in place and shot. Sometimes shoulder to shoulder. So this is a no-brainer guys that this aspect can be... a no-brainer!

And it's all true, especially in Intense with the Techs' coils, they slow them conga lines down. But when bulletsponge tanks come it's AhhhhhHhhh!!!

And go no further than Priority One first mission, the final defend point on whatever difficulty you want and look to the walls and put on your favorite conga tune! Even if some do squiggly lines off their lines, you know all the paths that they are coming from.

But alas, like the mixed reviews, we see it two different ways. But at least we both enjoy it RT! Common Ground. Woot!

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2021, 10:36:44 PM
Oy, too much to reply.

My bad, was under the impression you could do this all day!

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 09, 2021, 10:36:44 PM
But alas, like the mixed reviews, we see it two different ways. But at least we both enjoy it RT! Common Ground. Woot!

Yeah, we're both having fun with the game, and that's the important thing.

SizzyBubbles

SizzyBubbles

Game is great. 10/10 CERTIFIED FUN

...and it's a cool hoard shooter, not a massive story driven experience (not a mark against it, just not all games are like that), so don't look to much into it  ;)

Better than CM that's for sure.

Voodoo Magic

judge death

judge death

QuoteMy bad, was under the impression you could do this all day!
Hahahahaha xD

I just want to jump in here on what the game being arcade style means, and no it dont mean arcade machines or light gun arcade machines...
It comes from the racing games from the start and then in early 90s when simulators came out where those players needed to explain the aproach of a game, what difference is it between this game about airplanes and this game about airplanes that sim players say is much more realistic and exactly like reality in terms of what one can do:

Arcade game play: Its based on reality but instead of trying to go for super realism, take FTEs way of launching rockets or basicly all perks like throw a grenade: You have a cooldown and random chance of knocking enemies down, yes one can do that in reality too but here its done with a waiting time and its a time limited perk. Like ridgetop called: games being games.
Example of other games that has arcade style gameplay: need for speed, ace combat, world of tanks, warthunder(although it can be seen as light sim), rainbow six seige.
Arcade just means its often things from real world that has been adapted to a game and make it fun. Like in world of tanks where you can chose perks and skills and level up your crew and tanks, unlock new weapons etc and repairs can be done at once with certain perks, so one dont need to wait for repairs and it has cool down effects, and the repairs are still very short unlike from reality.

It dont mean that the game is easy or there isnt much inside the game or lack of content or its very light on customising and options, a lot of games with the arcade style set up has tons of it, like the mmo games I mentioned. No it dont either mean FTE is played on an actual arcade machine either.  ;D

Hope that made it somewhat clear but definition of arcade gameplay varies as opinions do :P

FTE for a hoard game has a ton of options and like Ridgetop and others said: ton of perks and options to go through and if one want to unlock it all and play around with it, then one have months of playing to do and its here FTE shines as most other horde shoters dont come close to doing this with all content and EU references and lore references. Keep in mind its a horde game and the whole point like the reviews says is to shot enemies and survive in areas and can get repetive but thats the charm and fun of it and as that and new things AFTE do its a really good game and fun one. :)

PAS Spinelli

My general take is that AFTE is a great game, but it's not for everyone

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm on the 3rd campaign finally, just on standard single player.

I'm such a slow gamer. Usually takes months for be to beat a game.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 10, 2021, 01:40:11 AM
I'm on the 3rd campaign finally, just on standard single player.

I'm such a slow gamer. Usually takes months for be to beat a game.

It's only been a tad more than two weeks and you're halfway done so you're making good time then!  :)

SizzyBubbles

Yeah it might not be for everybody... You could say that about any game really.

I'm not into shooter type games... but I gave it a go and really love it. So I'd say also give it a go at 40usd as well  ;D It's def fun with people.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 10, 2021, 12:29:31 AM
My bad, was under the impression you could do this all day!

Have you met me? I definitely could :laugh: but I don't think us two going on about it here is the greatest look. Better to wrap it up and go out on common ground.  :)

Quote from: judge death on Sep 10, 2021, 01:00:08 AM
Hope that made it somewhat clear but definition of arcade gameplay varies as opinions do

Yeah, for me personally, and as a kid who spent countless hours in an arcade playing coin-op machines, something being arcade like is is comparing something to what you'd experience in an actual video arcade. Blasting hordes of dumb enemies, linear, wave-based, light on depth, heavy on fun. Not games that are not-sims. That I never heard of. But alas, perhaps it's just a generational thing.  :)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, one thing is for sure - this is NOT an Aliens simulator. It's a horde zombie shooter with super heroes, zero regards for any kind of realism, zero fear, zero suspense, just pure blast-away fun... Oh, and then it's the thin Alien franchise veneer and some niche aesthetics.

It's a good game on its own, the problem is that it is 2021 and we can make games that capture the Alien feeling, character and essence of the Alien movies better than they did mid 80s to late 90s, and Alien coin-op arcade games have never been taken seriously or considered as 'canon'. A:FTE on the other hand tries hard to be 'canon' and is marketing itself as the ultimate ALIENS (Colonial Marines) experience so far... When in reality it's not.

426Buddy

426Buddy

::)

Corporal Hicks

Come on now, folk; that's not the purpose of this thread. Back on track please.

Corporal Hicks

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2021, 03:30:04 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YylyfzXYQ&feature=youtu.be

Oh nice! I've watched a bunch of Jonathan Ferguson's video game gun vids. It's awesome that AFTE got one of these. Also would really like to check out that museum when next I'm in the UK.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed