Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 09, 2021, 03:26:43 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Catch All (Read 94,812 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Trash Queen on Sep 08, 2021, 12:28:39 AM
Literally one of the best stories ever put to print that features the Alien, the only thing to come close to Alex White's work, you punish only yourself by not reading it.

^This

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Trash Queen on Sep 08, 2021, 12:28:39 AM
Literally one of the best stories ever put to print that features the Alien, the only thing to come close to Alex White's work, you punish only yourself by not reading it.

A story with weak Xenomorphs is an instant turn-off for me. Humans meleeing Xenos just make me lose any interest in the story. It's such a monumental break of character to me.

I mean, if you're gonna fight Xenos in melee with spears I'd say Alien: Sacrifice did it right.

I have zero tolerance for stories and settings these days where the Xenos are treated as cannon fodder or where the humans figure out an easy way to best them, "rape and revenge" style.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Sacrifice is great but not as great as Phalanx.

PAS Spinelli

Anyone that calls the Aliens in Fireteam of weak hasn't played the game

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 08, 2021, 02:10:13 AM

*Raises hand*

I've pre-ordered it, played the heck out of it, and definitely would call the Aliens weak and their strength is solely in their numbers, their onslaught of hundreds in gigantic swarmy swarms against three, I repeat, three colonial marines. To me the game is actually what some incorrectly criticise "Aliens" for, turning Aliens into cannon fodder. The classic James Cameron film doesn't do that at all, but this game does.

However, it's supposed to be that way. It's the nature of this game genre. A fun Horde Shooter game set in the Alien Universe. And I'm having a blast, but not everyone likes this type of game, which is cool. It won't be for everyone.  :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I agree with pretty much everything Voodoo says on the subject.  Aliens has somehow been misinterpreted over the years as a dozen marines walking on the corpses of Aliens like the Doomslayer does on demons.  In reality there are only like 30 plus on screen deaths for the Aliens, and there are still plenty chasing Ripley and Hicks at the end of the movie.  If you take out the sentry gun scenes the DC adds in, and just go buy the theater cut.........then the Marines basically survive and never win their battles.  They are constantly in retreat.  The Aliens do die, but that is going to happen when an unarmed attacker attacks an armed defender. 

In this game, you are basically the doomslayer of the Alienverse.  I think I lasted to wave thirteen on horde mode playing by myself for the first time on intense.  It's fun, but it definitely doesn't reflect what is seen in any of the Alien movies, and definitely feels closer the the darkhorse Aliens are only dangerous as tsunami attackers (and yes the tsunami comparison is used in the EU) mentality that the majority of DH titles were burdened with. 

I consider the EU and the movies to be two different things, so this doesn't bother me in any sort of way other than this is about the millionth time I've seen other creators look at Aliens for inspiration, and somehow only come away with the Aliens are ants, and Colonial Marines are the boot analogy. 

It's not a bad game, but I still await the Aliens game actually inspired by the second movie.  Where each alien encounter could be lethal, but you are not slow as piss like you are in isolation (all these survivor horror games are bullshit in how slow people are, especially ones where your character is in law enforcement or military) and have a means to defend yourself.  So far the closest still remains the original AvP.  But it was before the era of interaction, and is old AF.  That take needs a graphical update with an improved story and immersion.  It's not so much that AvP is not EU, its more that the Aliens had the speed advantage over EVERY other species, and could rip a human to shreds in seconds.  You as a marine player had to locate and stop them while they were across the map.  up close you were sliced and diced or acid would kill you. 

PraetorianX101

Anyone here play GTFO before? Honestly, it's more of a "true" Aliens game than Fireteam. :P

Enjoy

Enjoy

Just got this for ps4. Got in a round right away but then it slowed aftet i got killed. I like the game though.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 08, 2021, 03:52:23 AM
*Raises hand*
I've pre-ordered it, played the heck out of it, and definitely would call the Aliens weak and their strength is solely in their numbers, their onslaught of hundreds in gigantic swarmy swarms against three, I repeat, three colonial marines. To me the game is actually what some incorrectly criticise "Aliens" for, turning Aliens into cannon fodder. The classic James Cameron film doesn't do that at all, but this game does.
Say what you will about Runners and their variations(Prowler, Burster and Spitter), because even in Alien 3 the Runner was able to be wrestled by untrained people (Ripley was even able to hold it by the tail lol), but Drones and Warriors are really dangerous and not cannon fodder at all, even on standard they are dangerous and can cause the entire Fireteam to die, and let's stop downplaying the Marines in this game too, this is a battalion commanded by someone that has dedicated herself to kill the Aliens, their training and equipment being made to fight the Xenomorphs, of course they will do better against them than most, even then, Warriors and Drones aren't weak, and a single Warrior can destroy an unprepared Fireteam, specially on Intense and Extreme

SiL

SiL

Ripley can only hold it by the tail because it's actively trying to not kill her. Everyone else it touched died.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Sep 08, 2021, 05:00:22 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 08, 2021, 03:52:23 AM
*Raises hand*
Say what you will about Runners and their variations(Prowler, Burster and Spitter), because even in Alien 3 the Runner was able to be wrestled by untrained people (Ripley was even able to hold it by the tail lol), but Drones and Warriors are really dangerous and not cannon fodder at all, even on standard they are dangerous and can cause the entire Fireteam to die, and let's stop downplaying the Marines in this game too, this is a battalion commanded by someone that has dedicated herself to kill the Aliens, their training and equipment being made to fight the Xenomorphs, of course they will do better against them than most, even then, Warriors and Drones aren't weak, and a single Warrior can destroy an unprepared Fireteam, specially on Intense and Extreme

Not true.

Just like SiL said the Runner actively tried NOT to kill Ripley and thus tried to "carefully" get its tail loose from her hands. The Runner played with its victims both before, during and after it finally killed them. The few times it went for a direct kill it was brutally fast, strong and overpowering. Look at Jude for example, he was rag-dolled and splattered all over the walls like a blood-soaked sock. Or Boggs - a big man, being easily lifted from the ground by the head by the Alien hanging sideways from the ceiling etc. And not to forget the incredible feat of catapulting itself through and out of tons of hot molten LEAD - and we're not talking about a foot or two here, no, it's more like in the ballpark of seven to ten feet high, despite being buried under effin lead.

So no, the Runners are slow and weak as hell in this game just for the sake of the game needing a spammable cannon fodder Xeno to shoot up.

It would've been more tolerable if the cannon fodder aliens were Bambi-Bursters or semi-matured Runners, something akin to the Neomorph Backbursters but a Runner instead (btw the Backbursters look a lot like the Bambi-Burster to be honest), and instead of Prowlers and Spitters we could've had fully grown Runners (different hues maybe) doing the part of Prowlers and Spitters while certain infant Runners explode like Bursters. Later on in the game they could change looks (looking like Prowlers when in the Hive, or looking like Spitters when on the "Derelict" due to the pathogen). Just a thought.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

The only Aliens I'd really call weak in the game are the Runners, and even a few of those can mess you up quickly if they get past your defense line on Intense or higher. Warriors and Drones are certainly not weak, which is why a whole fireteam typically turns their attention to them when one is incoming. I really don't feel like this game mishandles the depiction of Aliens lethality. Yes, it is an entirely different vibe mowing them down than dealing with a single one like in Isolation, absolutely, and I love me some hard core survival horror in that context. But how quickly you can dispatch the primary Xenos here is really quite comparable to AvP Classic 2000, AvP2, AvP 2010, and ACM. The Warriors and Drones are certainly tougher here than they are in those other titles as they're usually the standard Aliens to deal with. Hell the Warriors are tougher here than they are depicted in the film where a smartgun burst will pop one.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That's one of my lingering criticisms, I wish the Drone and Warrior xenos were a bit weaker but showed up more frequently. They're MEGA tanky and it just feels weird in light of the movies and other games.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 08, 2021, 09:19:38 AM
That's one of my lingering criticisms, I wish the Drone and Warrior xenos were a bit weaker but showed up more frequently. They're MEGA tanky and it just feels weird in light of the movies and other games.

While I think it works in the context of this game with switching to the runners as the standard Aliens to deal with, yeah I did feel it was a bit strange that they were so tanky, given they're not that way in any of the other games really. The Drone reminded me of its Alien: Isolation portrayal a bit. Cunning as Stompy was, he wouldn't have lasted long against the weaponry in this game.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

On it's own the Drone and Warrior are bullet sponges with a ton of health and take such a ridiculous amount of ammo to bring down you start to long for Ripley's grappling hook  :) , but yes, they have a ton of health, but on their own they are weak. Meaning, if you're all at full health with full ammo and awake at the keyboard or controller, not a single one of you will die against a Drone or Warrior on its own. It's only dangerous when it's unleashed against you while you have been taking the hits while fighting hundreds of Aliens.

But that's okay. It is. It's not an insult to the Alien Universe nor this Horde game. It's supposed to be this way by design and it's not a game to be taken seriously for its "realism".

If someone wants more of that "Aliens" movie realistic feel, I personally feel AvP 2010 can deliver it to you at times. No those typical end level "boss fights" will still make your eyes roll but just in the dark club level alone you can die to a few Aliens alone. Thank goodness for stims!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed