What dvds do you have.

Started by superdeathpredator, Feb 22, 2010, 01:01:43 AM

Author
What dvds do you have. (Read 56,595 times)

Huggs

Huggs

One must learn to live without.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I own (and will never part with) :

ALIEN: Laserdisc (single platter) 1992 Pan & Scan.

ALIEN: Special Widescreen Collector's Edition. 1992 USA Laserdisc boxed-set (keeping this for the premiere presentation of the outtakes).

ALIENS Special Edition: 1991 USA Laserdisc boxed-set (keeping this one for the premiere release of the extended version).

ALIEN: THX 1995/6 USA Laserdisc single platter (keeping this for the alternate audio track).

ALIEN: 20th Anniversary DVD R1 1999. Keeping this for the studio audio and the brighter, wider image (more info on the sides).

ALIENS Special Edition: DVD R1 1999 release.

ALIEN LEGACY: DVD R4 2000 5-disc boxed-set. Includes bonus documentary.

ALIEN QUADRILOGY: DVD R4 2003 9-disc boxed-set (keeping this for the original  4:3 aspect ratio documentaries and some original content).

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (Australia) 2010 6-disc boxed-set (keeping this for the original black Facehugger packaging).

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (UK) 2010 6-disc boxed-set.

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (Australia) 4-disc boxed-set reissue (no bonus discs).

ALIEN: 40th Anniversary 4K HDR10+ Blu-ray RB (Australia) 2019 single disc (definitely keeping this for the superior A/V).

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 25, 2019, 08:44:11 PM
I own (and will never part with) :

ALIEN: Laserdisc (single platter) 1992 Pan & Scan.

ALIEN: Special Widescreen Collector's Edition. 1992 USA Laserdisc boxed-set (keeping this for the premiere presentation of the outtakes).

ALIENS Special Edition: 1991 USA Laserdisc boxed-set (keeping this one for the premiere release of the extended version).

ALIEN: THX 1995/6 USA Laserdisc single platter (keeping this for the alternate audio track).

ALIEN: 20th Anniversary DVD R1 1999. Keeping this for the studio audio and the brighter, wider image (more info on the sides).

ALIENS Special Edition: DVD R1 1999 release.

ALIEN LEGACY: DVD R4 2000 5-disc boxed-set. Includes bonus documentary.

ALIEN QUADRILOGY: DVD R4 2003 9-disc boxed-set (keeping this for the original  4:3 aspect ratio documentaries and some original content).

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (Australia) 2010 6-disc boxed-set (keeping this for the original black Facehugger packaging).

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (UK) 2010 6-disc boxed-set.

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY: Blu-ray RB (Australia) 4-disc boxed-set reissue (no bonus discs).

ALIEN: 40th Anniversary 4K HDR10+ Blu-ray RB (Australia) 2019 single disc (definitely keeping this for the superior A/V).

Impressive! Do you still have a LD player?

And where's the VHS?   ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Anyone who still has VHS tapes with a working player gets my respect.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

My laserdisc player died in 2012. R.I.P.

This list is what I previously owned on tape:

My very first pre-recorded videotape was an ex-rental (excellent condition) Betamax copy of ALIEN P&S  ($29.99 AUD) in 1985. It featured the audio with alternate effects and some dialogue - I think I remember Dallas' voice sounded differently in his first scene with MU/TH/UR?

VHS PAL reissue in 1991 - new, this time. Same overly dark full-screen transfer but different audio.

VHS PAL reissue 1992 - same as ^above^ but Macrovision copy-protected this time.

1998 VHS PAL boxed-set (then) trilogy. This time released for the first time (Australia) in widescreen letterbox format. I also had the full-screen equivalent. Both sets were colour coded (blue = widescreen, green = full screen).

2000 VHS PAL full-screen release for ALIEN, which also included the deleted scenes and two outtakes (from the 20th Anniversary DVD release) as supplemental features.

I ended up binning all the tapes (all Macrovision copy-protected) when moving to optical discs (which I will definitely keep).

I didn't get the chance to make back up copies (to DVD-R) for my laserdiscs because the player died.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 25, 2019, 11:01:32 PM
My laserdisc player died in 2012. R.I.P.

This list is what I previously owned on tape:

My very first pre-recorded videotape was an ex-rental (excellent condition) Betamax copy of ALIEN P&S  ($29.99 AUD) in 1985. It featured the audio with alternate effects and some dialogue - I think I remember Dallas' voice sounded differently in his first scene with MU/TH/UR?

VHS PAL reissue in 1991 - new, this time. Same overly dark full-screen transfer but different audio.

VHS PAL reissue 1992 - same as ^above^ but Macrovision copy-protected this time.

1998 VHS PAL boxed-set (then) trilogy. This time released for the first time (Australia) in widescreen letterbox format. I also had the full-screen equivalent. Both sets were colour coded (blue = widescreen, green = full screen).

2000 VHS PAL full-screen release for ALIEN, which also included the deleted scenes and two outtakes (from the 20th Anniversary DVD release) as supplemental features.

I ended up binning all the tapes (all Macrovision copy-protected) when moving to optical discs (which I will definitely keep).

I didn't get the chance to make back up copies (to DVD-R) for my laserdiscs because the player died.

RIP to your player.

You can get a pretty decent LD player for about a $100 USD on Ebay. Maybe it might be worth it to you to purchase a player, rip copies, and then put the player back on ebay for sale.

Either way, nice collection!

Being an advocate for widescreen, I remember Laserdics were the only way you could get a movie in letterbox versus pan & scan. People would complain "what's these horrible black bars on the bottom and top of my screen? I hate it!"  :laugh: So many people back then had no idea how much pan & scan truncated the movie.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Pan & Scan especially hurt a film like ALIEN. The tight close-ups of the Alien made even less sense in cropped and mutilated 4:3.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Sometimes the letterbox version was even truncated!

Huggs

Huggs

I miss my collector's editions of alien and aliens on vhs.

TC

TC

I have a VHS of Aliens special.edition and a working VHS player. Prior to the restored sentry gun scene there is a jump in the picture where they wanted to extend a shot of Hicks but there was a destroyed frame in the negative (quite normal during 35 mm neg matching in the old days). Somehow they fixed this in the anthology version (I guess by some form of digital magic).

TC

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: TC on Apr 28, 2019, 10:17:53 AM
I have a VHS of Aliens special.edition and a working VHS player. Prior to the restored sentry gun scene there is a jump in the picture where they wanted to extend a shot of Hicks but there was a destroyed frame in the negative (quite normal during 35 mm neg matching in the old days). Somehow they fixed this in the anthology version (I guess by some form of digital magic).

TC
I did have the Australian fullscreen VHS ALIENS: SPECIAL EDITION, from 1992. The (handy) liner notes identified the restored footage.

I remember the jump from the missing frame. I think the missing frame was reproduced digitally. You can still (just) see where the edit is on the Anthology Blu-ray release.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alien: Anthology (Blu-ray)
Prometheus 4 Disc Collector's Edition (Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD)
Alien: Covenant Target Exclusive (Blu-ray/DVD)
Alien 40th Anniversary (4K UHD/Blu-ray)

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

My collection includes:

Alien (1979) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Director's Cut and 40th Anniversary Edition)
Aliens (1986) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predator (1987) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predator 2 (1990) VHS, DVD and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien 3 (1992) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien Resurrection (1997) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien vs. Predator (2004) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007) DVD and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predators (2010) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)
Prometheus (2012) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook and 4-Disc Collector's Edition)
Alien: Covenant (2017) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)
The Predator (2018) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)

Also including boxsets:

Alien Saga VHS Boxset
The Alien Legacy - 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxset
Alien Legacy - 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxset (second version)
Alien Quadrilogy DVD Boxset
Predator - Special Edition Collection DVD Boxset
Alien vs. Predator - Limited Edition Collectible DVD Gift Set
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Extended Edition DVD Box Set
Alien/Predator - Total Destruction: The Ultimate DVD Collection
Alien/Predator - Total Destruction Collection DVD Boxset
Alien Collection DVD Boxset
Alien Collection - Box Collection DVD Boxset
Predator Trilogy DVD Boxset
Alien/AVP/Predator - The Ultimate Annihilation: Nine Movie Collection/The Ultimate Blu-ray Collection
Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Blu-ray Boxset
Alien Anthology - Sideshow Collectibles Egg Limited Edition Blu-ray Boxset
Alien Anthology Blu-ray Boxset
Predator 2-Pack Blu-ray Boxset
AVP 1&2 Collector's Blu-ray Boxset
Predator Collection Blu-ray Boxset
AVP 2-Film DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Prometheus/Covenant 2-Film DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Alien - 6-Film Collection DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Predator Quadrilogy DVD and Blu-ray Boxset

That's about it!  8)

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Dec 12, 2020, 10:03:16 PM

Wow very impressive collection  8)

You may want to look into the "ALIEN SAGA" DVD narrated by John Hurt. I just recently watched this again. According to Xenopedia not all the special features have been included in the "ALIEN Anthology" bluray. There is a list of them on their site. :)

Thank you! Yeah, I haven't gotten a hold on that one yet, would be nice to add to the collection! :)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TurokSwe on Dec 12, 2020, 08:43:32 PM
My collection includes:

Alien (1979) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Director's Cut and 40th Anniversary Edition)
Aliens (1986) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predator (1987) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predator 2 (1990) VHS, DVD and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien 3 (1992) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien Resurrection (1997) VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Alien vs. Predator (2004) VHS, DVD, PSP, and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007) DVD and Blu-ray (including Special Edition)
Predators (2010) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)
Prometheus (2012) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook and 4-Disc Collector's Edition)
Alien: Covenant (2017) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)
The Predator (2018) DVD and Blu-ray (including Steelbook)

Also including boxsets:

Alien Saga VHS Boxset
The Alien Legacy - 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxset
Alien Legacy - 20th Anniversary Edition DVD Boxset (second version)
Alien Quadrilogy DVD Boxset
Predator - Special Edition Collection DVD Boxset
Alien vs. Predator - Limited Edition Collectible DVD Gift Set
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Extended Edition DVD Box Set
Alien/Predator - Total Destruction: The Ultimate DVD Collection
Alien/Predator - Total Destruction Collection DVD Boxset
Alien Collection DVD Boxset
Alien Collection - Box Collection DVD Boxset
Predator Trilogy DVD Boxset
Alien/AVP/Predator - The Ultimate Annihilation: Nine Movie Collection/The Ultimate Blu-ray Collection
Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Blu-ray Boxset
Alien Anthology - Sideshow Collectibles Egg Limited Edition Blu-ray Boxset
Alien Anthology Blu-ray Boxset
Predator 2-Pack Blu-ray Boxset
AVP 1&2 Collector's Blu-ray Boxset
Predator Collection Blu-ray Boxset
AVP 2-Film DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Prometheus/Covenant 2-Film DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Alien - 6-Film Collection DVD and Blu-ray Boxset
Predator Quadrilogy DVD and Blu-ray Boxset

That's about it!  8)

:o

Ever consider collecting Laserdiscs too?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed