Question about Mother from Alien

Started by ot4, Nov 03, 2022, 05:01:55 PM

Author
Question about Mother from Alien (Read 1,320 times)

ot4

ot4

Hello, I am as most people here a big fan of Alien and i really love the first one. Recently i bought the 4k BluRay and something that I cant get out of my head. Whenever they talk to mother the screen becomes this kind of really clean looking remastered screen with the green font.
I dont know if its that my memories that are wrong, but I cant remember it ever looking like this. I also streamed the movie on Amazon and it had the same look..

Did it always look like this? Or is that just because of the remastered versions? Does anyone know (if I am not crazy) how it originally looked? The best bet would be to get the original VHS, but I dont even have a VHS player anymore. Maybe it is just me, but it looks out of place, to clean compared to the other retro CRT monitors. Or was it always like that?

Sorry to bother with maybe a stupid question.

Kradan

Kradan

I vaguely remember hearing something about them changing it in the subsequent releases

@Elmazalman. I need a hand here

ralfy

ralfy

I used a Taxan monitor in the past, and the fonts looked like little squares put together.

Local Trouble

This is why we need SM.  He would know.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: ot4 on Nov 03, 2022, 05:01:55 PMDid it always look like this? Or is that just because of the remastered versions? Does anyone know (if I am not crazy) how it originally looked? The best bet would be to get the original VHS, but I dont even have a VHS player anymore. Maybe it is just me, but it looks out of place, to clean compared to the other retro CRT monitors. Or was it always like that?

I believe it is the same with every release of Alien but due to the remaster, etc, it just looks very clean.  Below are some screenshots from two Laserdisc releases and two US TV broadcasts:

80s Laserdisc (Full Screen)

1995 Laserdisc (Widescreen)

1984 ABC Network TV Premiere

1988 ABC TV Broadcast

ot4

ot4

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Nov 04, 2022, 11:31:57 AM1984 ABC Network TV Premiere

Thanks for taking the time to put up those screenshots! I especially like this one from 1984 because it does not look like a straigh line, typically for a CRT TV as the one in the movie "should" look like.
I guess thats it then, if I want to watch it on 4k i have to see it with that clean look.

Did anyone of you ever get boihered by it or am I just a bit strange? I personally like that CRT look really a lot and the analog buttons etc.

SiL

SiL

I'm reasonably sure the inserts are straight animation, rather than being filmed from a screen. That's why they don't quite match, and it's been that way since the movie was released.

I always thought it was "noticeable" but I was never particularly bothered by it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: ot4 on Nov 04, 2022, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Nov 04, 2022, 11:31:57 AM1984 ABC Network TV Premiere

Thanks for taking the time to put up those screenshots! I especially like this one from 1984 because it does not look like a straigh line, typically for a CRT TV as the one in the movie "should" look like.
I guess thats it then, if I want to watch it on 4k i have to see it with that clean look.

Did anyone of you ever get boihered by it or am I just a bit strange? I personally like that CRT look really a lot and the analog buttons etc.

I also prefer the curved line - as it should be - with a convex-shaped monitor screen. The latest version does look too clean and 'flat'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed