CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer!

Started by Moosh89, Jun 08, 2012, 04:29:11 AM

Author
CONGRATS FOR REAL! Playable Females in Multiplayer! (Read 107,835 times)

shadowedge

Quote from: Moosh89 on Aug 13, 2012, 11:43:49 PM
Another Design, Credit to Solaris Wave for the clever acronym :)

Very clever.

I a just curious, is the American military equal when it comes to men and women? Or is any country equal yet? I know that there are some females in the armed forces here in the States but i do not know how they are treated in relation to the men or if they get the same benefits and stuff.

I think we have a woman in my hometown who is a Colonel.

Predaker

Bjørn Half-hand

The petition is mentioned in the lastest issue of PSM3

Aspie

I don't understand why there wouldn't be playable females in MP, since te Alien franchise has always been carried by a Heroine in the movies.

ShadowPred

Which is why we need another delay for Gearbox to get their shit right!

Moosh89

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Aug 17, 2012, 06:29:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

Anyone have a copy they can share here?

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Quote from: Moosh89 on Aug 17, 2012, 08:53:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

It's a fairly small write up to be honest, I don't have a scanner but I'll happily type it up here for you in a minute.

EDIT: Here you go;

Aliens fans have started an online petition about the total absence of female marines in multiplayer. In the film female marines like vasquez play a huge role, and many see the Alien series as having a significant feminist message. Check the petition here: goo.gl/VCQD8

ShadowPred

C'mon Gearbox, listen up!

Moosh89

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Aug 17, 2012, 08:56:39 PM
Quote from: Moosh89 on Aug 17, 2012, 08:53:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

It's a fairly small write up to be honest, I don't have a scanner but I'll happily type it up here for you in a minute.

EDIT: Here you go;

Aliens fans have started an online petition about the total absence of female marines in multiplayer. In the film female marines like vasquez play a huge role, and many see the Alien series as having a significant feminist message. Check the petition here: goo.gl/VCQD8

Thanks!, That's pretty cool that they even put a mini link in there too! :)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: shadowedge on Aug 16, 2012, 10:37:23 PM
Very clever.

I a just curious, is the American military equal when it comes to men and women? Or is any country equal yet? I know that there are some females in the armed forces here in the States but i do not know how they are treated in relation to the men or if they get the same benefits and stuff.

It's... A bit of a sticky area, to be honest. Obviously, there are concerns about things like upper body strength, although, obviously, if a woman could pass the initial test for that, then so be it. From what I remember, though, the Israelis did studies on mixed gender front-line combat roles and human psychology has an unfortunate habit to enter operational procedure. Men are programmed to be more protective of female colleagues, for example and will take more risks to rescue them - and be plagued by more frustrations/stresses which can distract them, if female members of their unit are captured. This essentially leads to personnel being off their game, so to speak (and can even lead to motivations of revenge creeping into combat engagements and ignoring the recognised rules of engagement).

There's also the topic of fraternisation, which does go on, even though it's not meant to. If you've ever witnessed an office romance and the negative consequences of that, this can be writ large in a life-or-death environment, where favouritism will tend to be suspected by others who are aware of the relationship, leading to trust issues, even if the pair, themselves, are somehow actively trying to avoid it and keep things strictly professional (although, again, considering human nature, favouritism is a real possibility).

To a certain extent (it's not purely sexual, after all - people can have vested romantic feelings and be in a relationship without sex being involved), this latter problem can be eliminated, due to sleeping arrangements being separated (something which can't be done when bisexual/homosexual personnel enter the equation, for obvious reasons). But the first problem is still a risk to efficiency.

Unless policy has changed, I think the Israelis still have women in front-line combat units, but got around it by making them female-exclusive.

The unisex barracks/showering arrangements depicted in 'Starship Troopers' won't be happening any time soon, clearly, unless the Pentagon is allowed to implant mind-control chips in recruits' brains to rid them of basic human emotions. :)

Yes, female personnel are frequently involved in firefights in support positions, but this is unavoidable. It's not the same thing as deliberately tempting fate in front-line 'dirty' infantry combat (and, it should be kept in mind, female personnel would be priority targets for militants trying to exploit these very psychological weaknesses, in the same way as innocent Jewish tourists are unfortunately more of a target for terrorists).

That's why I think games which revolve around the Colonial Marines should be authentic and allow for female personnel, since the source material has been portrayed that way. But why I also have issues with the slightly self-righteous nature of the Twitter quote. Because there are are genuine psychological issues to take into account, which have absolutely nothing to do with sexism or assumptions about potential sexual assault, when discussing the pros and cons of having mixed-gender combat personnel units.

With all that said, I love female military characters and own copies of the excellent 'Love My Rifle More Than You' and 'Dressed To Kill', which are the biographies of two female soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan and are very enlightening. One of the fiction novels I'm in the process of writing also centres around a female gunship pilot, set in the future, so... I'm all for more of this stuff being represented! But also of applying realism where possible!

Moosh89

Thanks for sharing all that!

Your story sounds interesting! and I will have to check out the other two books you mentioned as well :)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Moosh89 on Aug 19, 2012, 05:07:05 AM
Thanks for sharing all that!

Your story sounds interesting! and I will have to check out the other two books you mentioned as well :)

Please do. They provide a quite insightful view into the life of modern female soldiers who serve in combat zones. Got them for research with my own, but glad I did.

shadowedge

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 19, 2012, 04:43:46 AM
Quote from: shadowedge on Aug 16, 2012, 10:37:23 PM
Very clever.

It's... A bit of a sticky area, to be honest. Obviously, there are concerns about things like upper body strength, although, obviously, if a woman could pass the initial test for that, then so be it. From what I remember, though, the Israelis did studies on mixed gender front-line combat roles and human psychology has an unfortunate habit to enter operational procedure. Men are programmed to be more protective of female colleagues, for example and will take more risks to rescue them - and be plagued by more frustrations/stresses which can distract them, if female members of their unit are captured. This essentially leads to personnel being off their game, so to speak (and can even lead to motivations of revenge creeping into combat engagements and ignoring the recognised rules of engagement).

There's also the topic of fraternisation, which does go on, even though it's not meant to. If you've ever witnessed an office romance and the negative consequences of that, this can be writ large in a life-or-death environment, where favouritism will tend to be suspected by others who are aware of the relationship, leading to trust issues, even if the pair, themselves, are somehow actively trying to avoid it and keep things strictly professional (although, again, considering human nature, favouritism is a real possibility).

To a certain extent (it's not purely sexual, after all - people can have vested romantic feelings and be in a relationship without sex being involved), this latter problem can be eliminated, due to sleeping arrangements being separated (something which can't be done when bisexual/homosexual personnel enter the equation, for obvious reasons). But the first problem is still a risk to efficiency.

Unless policy has changed, I think the Israelis still have women in front-line combat units, but got around it by making them female-exclusive.

The unisex barracks/showering arrangements depicted in 'Starship Troopers' won't be happening any time soon, clearly, unless the Pentagon is allowed to implant mind-control chips in recruits' brains to rid them of basic human emotions. :)

Yes, female personnel are frequently involved in firefights in support positions, but this is unavoidable. It's not the same thing as deliberately tempting fate in front-line 'dirty' infantry combat (and, it should be kept in mind, female personnel would be priority targets for militants trying to exploit these very psychological weaknesses, in the same way as innocent Jewish tourists are unfortunately more of a target for terrorists).

That's why I think games which revolve around the Colonial Marines should be authentic and allow for female personnel, since the source material has been portrayed that way. But why I also have issues with the slightly self-righteous nature of the Twitter quote. Because there are are genuine psychological issues to take into account, which have absolutely nothing to do with sexism or assumptions about potential sexual assault, when discussing the pros and cons of having mixed-gender combat personnel units.

With all that said, I love female military characters and own copies of the excellent 'Love My Rifle More Than You' and 'Dressed To Kill', which are the biographies of two female soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan and are very enlightening. One of the fiction novels I'm in the process of writing also centres around a female gunship pilot, set in the future, so... I'm all for more of this stuff being represented! But also of applying realism where possible!

Thanks for the detailed reply! It is so informative, and honestly brings up some things that I never would have thought about.

I will check out those two novels you mentioned. Good luck with yours as well, I hope it is a success.

Were you by any chance in the military?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed