Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu

Started by Predalien39, Mar 03, 2023, 09:34:45 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu (Read 26,376 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Well looks like that pretty much rounds out a cast, then! Of the bunch, Spaeny is the only one I have any actual familiarity with, I believe, thanks to Devs and (ugh) Pacific Rim: Uprising. Fearn is mentioned as having been in The Batman, though I'd be lying if I said I remember him in the movie based on that photo of him.

Seems like the article has a little bit of a synopsis for the film, too:

QuotePlot details are being kept in a cryochamber, but as opposed to the other movies which focused on adults in corporate, militaristic and scientific roles, this now-ninth installment of the franchise will focus on a group of young people. On a distant colony, the group finds themselves in a fight for their lives with the titular alien, a creature known as a Xenomorph, whose race propagates by implanting eggs into people's stomachs via face-huggers, with the juveniles eventually violently bursting out of the host's chest.

So we have a setting, a colony world.

RidgeTop

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 03, 2023, 11:44:43 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 03, 2023, 11:38:53 PMSo we have a setting, a colony world.

A setting, yep.

Interesting... That definitely tracks, since the leaked auditions seemed to be for a character who is a salvager on board a ship.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure there's gonna be some kneejerky reactions to this news because the whole main ensemble seems to be all kids/young adults, but whatever, I'm willing to see it all out and see why they're going in this direction with it. Just last year we got Prey with a pretty young lead in what's structured as a coming of age story, and Avatar: The Way of Water centered its story firmly around Jake and Neytiri's kids, and both of those rocked. Raised By Wolves, too. It isn't what I was expecting for Romulus, to be sure, but I really don't dislike the idea of getting a younger perspective in whatever this ends up being and it certainly shouldn't be any reason to write the movie off right off the bat.

TomT

Young adult Alien movie is such an awful idea, looks like it's somehow gonna be even worse than I imagined. Ridley, just wtf are you doing, it must be a deliberate attempt to completely destroy IPs he originated or maybe he completely lost his mind.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 03, 2023, 11:45:13 PMAvatar: The Way of Water centered its story firmly around Jake and Neytiri's kids,

This is not the same thing at all. The Way of Water is a direct sequel that's centered around the entire Sully family, including Jake and Neytiri too, and it's a PG/families driven franchise, so it's consistent with what came before. Alien is the opposite of that, it's an adult franchise, it's dark and violent, and the only kid who was there is Newt. The closest thing to young adult it did was AvP: Requiem and it was the lowest point of both franchises, true 1/10 experience.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 03, 2023, 11:45:13 PMit certainly shouldn't be any reason to write the movie off right off the bat.
I'm writing this movie off right off the bat, after cast and plot premise it's done, thank you.

Nightmare Asylum

Eh. Could suck, sure. Could be great as well. Most likely, it'll fall somewhere in between. I'm curious and willing to wait and see what Alvarez is up to. We don't really even have any semblance of an idea what the movie is going to be yet.

Nukiemorph

First they kill Newt & Hicks, then they clone Ripley, make the space jockey a bald white guy, and make a WY android the creator of the alien,

but that was all nothing compared to...

CASTING ACTORS IN THEIR TWENTIES?!

The audacity. They've clearly gone too far this time...

Valaquen

It's not necessarily a problem for me. A good deal of the Marines from Aliens were in their late 20's/very early 30's filming that movie (Jenette Goldstein and Daniel Kash were around 25). Reiser, Biehn, Paxton, William Hope were 30-31. I hear Carrie Henn was young too. Al Matthews and Henriksen were outliers. The cast in Aliens was much younger than Alien, where Weaver was the youngest at 29.

Mr. Clemens

I had no excitement for this release in the first place, but my excitement is lessened by this news. I'm sure they're all nice people and good actors, but no. Is the film taking place in a Starbucks?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 03, 2023, 11:38:53 PMSo we have a setting, a colony world.

What if this colony world is Origae-6, and after several decades, the missing derelict Covenant finally arrives at it's intended destination...

oduodu

oduodu

interesting......like that idea eighth

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 04, 2023, 09:19:17 AMI had no excitement for this release in the first place, but my excitement is lessened by this news. I'm sure they're all nice people and good actors, but no. Is the film taking place in a Starbucks?

Bojo

Like every horror franchise before it, the Alien license will just be cheap unmemorable schlock . Straight to streaming services/ Blu-ray for a easy buck and then completely forgotten about.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Mar 04, 2023, 03:50:12 AMFirst they kill Newt & Hicks, then they clone Ripley, make the space jockey a bald white guy, and make a WY android the creator of the alien,

but that was all nothing compared to...

CASTING ACTORS IN THEIR TWENTIES?!

The audacity. They've clearly gone too far this time...
You are reading it wrong. Look at those actors, they all look like teens, if not kids. And not even cool/charismatic ones, but like Twilight ones. This is very clearly gonna be young adult.
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 04, 2023, 08:40:07 AMIt's not necessarily a problem for me. A good deal of the Marines from Aliens were in their late 20's/very early 30's filming that movie (Jenette Goldstein and Daniel Kash were around 25). Reiser, Biehn, Paxton, William Hope were 30-31. I hear Carrie Henn was young too. Al Matthews and Henriksen were outliers. The cast in Aliens was much younger than Alien, where Weaver was the youngest at 29.
Do all those actors look like Aliens cast to you? I don't recall Hunger Games in Aliens.

Nukiemorph

So young adults can't possibly go through any journeys worth watching? Don't Breathe and the Evil Dead remake both had young casts too, and I certainly wouldn't classify those as "young adult" films akin to Twilight.

I'm keeping an open mind until we see at least one frame of footage.

RIP77

Evil Dead 2013 is a adolescent movie?

PREY is a adolescent movie?

PREY was criticized for the adolescent cast. A girl and her brother in a saga of men.

adult is not equal to adolescent? Sure?

In adult Prometheus he was adolescent in his personality.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed