Alien Resurrection- Why or why not?

Started by Redfield, Jan 15, 2007, 04:39:49 AM

Author
Alien Resurrection- Why or why not? (Read 63,605 times)

anubis083

Liked the number of aliens in it.  They are a swarming race so its just not right when there is only one.

Newsfop

Quote from: Fury_616 on Feb 27, 2007, 01:30:14 AM
Also, while it may seem odd to have an Alien sequel set hundreds of years after the previous entry, it adds a timeless "mythic hero" feel to the Ripley story.  Just as the hero goes on a quest, Ripley left on her quest in Aliens (after already being displaced in time for 57 years after Alien), died in A3, and then resurrected and finally returned to Earth in A:R, having finally vanquished her personal demons (so to speak). 

I keep coming back to the same line of thinking about A:R though. "I don't know any of these people. That looks like Ripley, but it's not her. It has her memories, but does not share her actions. In fact, she doesn't even contain strictly Ripley memories. The thought about monsters belongs to Newt.

Hankerson

I consider Ripley 8 to be the offspring of Ellen Ripley, more like her daughter; it's sort of a "sins of the mother" sort of thing.

SM

SM

QuoteThe thought about monsters belongs to Newt.

Which she related to Ripley, therefore it's part of Ripley's memories.

Vader the White

Didn't like:

-how Weyland Yutani had been killed off: being bought out by Wal*Mart

I thought that was funny.
"OOOOOH look she sank a basketball without any special effects; that is because aliens have superb basketball skills. She must have inherited it from them! "

You can tell that the Alien movies have gone down hill when they have to resort to bad humor to horrify you.

Same thing in AVP: "hunters moon.......wa hah hah he hur" = BLERGH BARF!

Well , learning some Italian...ok, it was stupid.   
And you didn't know xenomorphs were good basketball players?  (Couldn't resist that one :D)

Alien ressurection?I hate that movie cuz it didn't seem as interesting as the alien movies and it somehow seemed fake im my opinion.

I agree. It didn't have the right feeling.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: anubis083 on Feb 27, 2007, 12:04:24 PM
Liked the number of aliens in it.  They are a swarming race so its just not right when there is only one.

Thus we have retconning.

Originally, we only saw one. Aliens showed us many, and showed them swarming. So, Aliens must swarm, and only one Alien doesn't make sense because of it.

Fury_616

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2007, 09:35:03 PM
Thus we have retconning.

Originally, we only saw one. Aliens showed us many, and showed them swarming. So, Aliens must swarm, and only one Alien doesn't make sense because of it.

True, but it's never been fully explained where the Aliens came from, so how a lone Alien Warrior would function without a hive/queen is left up to the movies.  I know that Giger envisioned the Alien as a kind of solitary predator with a short life span, a creature that not only uses hosts for chestbursters but also uses them to make eggs (which is what it tried do to Brett in the deleted scenes of Alien).  Then there's the theory that the Aliens were engineered by the Space Jockeys as a weapon that survives in any environment (I believe this is what Rildey Scott thought), which I would assume applies to both multiple Aliens building a hive and single Aliens simply hunting and killing prey.  While some fans would regard the Brett scene in Alien as apocryphal when compared to Aliens, I assumed that a single Alien was capable of "molding" a host into becoming an egg that features a queen facehugger.  Sort of like how some species (such as certain fish) are capable of changing gender, a single Alien could be capable of starting a hive even without a queen present, thus leaving the Space Jockeys with the option of sending out just one egg to "get the job done", so to speak.

SiL

SiL

QuoteI know that Giger envisioned the Alien as a kind of solitary predator

Giger, O'Bannon, Scott...

Actually, O'Bannon envisioned them as having their own culture, a stance Scott agreed with. After the stage we saw in the first movie, it would become something more intelligent, with a society and rituals and what-have-you. Giger worded it best - Not only is the Alien deadly, it's also ignorant. Personally, I think that would've made the Alien better than any hack-and-slash movie monster out there. Something that is actually intelligent, with a definite society but one we can't comprehend. Now it just runs around screaming at people.

SM

SM

QuoteGiger worded it best - Not only is the Alien deadly, it's also ignorant.

The was Dan the Man - not Hans Rudi.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2007, 11:20:53 PM
Actually, O'Bannon envisioned them as having their own culture, a stance Scott agreed with. After the stage we saw in the first movie, it would become something more intelligent, with a society and rituals and what-have-you. Giger worded it best - Not only is the Alien deadly, it's also ignorant. Personally, I think that would've made the Alien better than any hack-and-slash movie monster out there. Something that is actually intelligent, with a definite society but one we can't comprehend. Now it just runs around screaming at people.

Ah. The wonders of fanfiction...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Mar 04, 2007, 11:46:40 PM
The was Dan the Man - not Hans Rudi.

Not in my world it wasn't :'(

Fury_616

Quote from: SiL on Mar 04, 2007, 11:20:53 PM

If I recall correctly from the AVP DVD (or it could've been from the Alien Quadrilogy box set--I forget) O'Bannon mentioned that if he were in charge of AVP, he would've had it that the Alien eventually becomes the Predator in one of its later stages.  While it would've been interesting to see and Alien civilization, the mixing of Aliens and Predators like that would've killed the fun, IMHO.

SM

SM

QuoteNot in my world it wasn't

My geekiness knows no bounds!!!

SiL

SiL

*pushes up nerdling glasses*

We shall battle to the death!

SM

SM

*squeezes eyes shut and flails wildy with open palms in SiLs general direction*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed