Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 27, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details (Read 30,123 times)

The Alien Predator

That could be the case too. XD I doubt Ridley would be high as hell when doing interviews.

TS

Funny how around 70% of the people who come on this website prefer the action packed dumbed down cannon fodder stick em up Aliens instead of the horror side of Alien...Must be Predator fans mostly.

Corporal Hicks

Not really. There's a reasonable diversity of opinions on the matter. Both your posts so far have been directed with some hostility towards fans who like the action of Aliens, I'd suggest you tone down that attitude please. We're all fans here and the series has very different films. People will like different films in them.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 27, 2015, 09:22:30 AM
This is the bit that interests me most. Prometheus was a complete mess. No denying that. I was worried about how the prequel trilogy would pan out with that being a part of it. I'm more confident and interested in seeing Covenant as the start of the new series. Hopefully they've actually found and planned an actual direction this time instead of just clusterf**king it.

You know, I'd be quite happy if they basically just ignore whatever happened in Prometheus and start afresh with a new trilogy. By all means keep David but don't reference any of the events in Prometheus. Make it so that you can watch Alien: Covenant (and it's sequels) without needing to watch Prometheus beforehand.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 27, 2015, 02:42:34 PM
That could be the case too. XD I doubt Ridley would be high as hell when doing interviews.

Sometimes he is a little bit tiddly though. He actually owns a vineyard and loves his Vodka as well.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 03:36:23 PM
You know, I'd be quite happy if they basically just ignore whatever happened in Prometheus and start afresh with a new trilogy. By all means keep David but don't reference any of the events in Prometheus. Make it so that you can watch Alien: Covenant (and it's sequels) without needing to watch Prometheus beforehand.

To be fair to them they probably could get away with that. It depends where they're going with this whole evolution of the Alien thing. If they try to tie it into the mess that was Prometheus then maybe not.

I still feel like Shaw's fate is going to play a part in Covenant though.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 03:36:23 PMMake it so that you can watch Alien: Covenant (and it's sequels) without needing to watch Prometheus beforehand.

Exactly what Aliens and Alien 3 did.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 27, 2015, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 03:36:23 PMMake it so that you can watch Alien: Covenant (and it's sequels) without needing to watch Prometheus beforehand.

True enough. They built on the previous entry and provided the exposition without being bogged down.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 27, 2015, 03:42:49 PM

Not really no. If you were to watch Alien 3 without having seen Alien or Aliens you'd still have lots of questions regarding Ripley and her previous encounters with the beast. How did she end up on the Sulaco with a child, a marine and half-a-droid? Why is she so distressed about their deaths? How come she knows so much about the beast? Aliens also heavily references the events in Alien.

I'm talking about pretending Prometheus never happened.

Perfect-Organism

I'm at a bit of a loss.  Just posting here so I get updates on this thread.  If somebody finds a way to decipher what Ridley just said, let me know.  David himself couldn't make out full sense here.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 03:51:39 PMNot really no. If you were to watch Alien 3 without having seen Alien or Aliens you'd still have lots of questions regarding Ripley and her previous encounters with the beast. How did she end up on the Sulaco with a child, a marine and half-a-droid? Why is she so distressed about their deaths? How come she knows so much about the beast? Aliens also heavily references the events in Alien.

Not at all. Case in point - Alien 3 was the first one I saw, quite a long time before the others, and it still made sense all by itself. Sure, you might get more out of it if you've seen the previous movies, but it's not necessary to enjoy the film. Everything that's really important - that Ripley cared about Hicks and Newt, that they had history, that she's met this Alien before, and that it's very, very bad - is clearly laid out in the first act of the film.

Same with Aliens, although that goes even further by literally summarising the plot of the preceding film.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 27, 2015, 03:58:07 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 03:51:39 PMNot really no. If you were to watch Alien 3 without having seen Alien or Aliens you'd still have lots of questions regarding Ripley and her previous encounters with the beast. How did she end up on the Sulaco with a child, a marine and half-a-droid? Why is she so distressed about their deaths? How come she knows so much about the beast? Aliens also heavily references the events in Alien.

Not at all. Case in point - Alien 3 was the first one I saw, quite a long time before the others, and it still made sense all by itself. Sure, you might get more out of it if you've seen the previous movies, but it's not necessary to enjoy the film. Everything that's really important - that Ripley cared about Hicks and Newt, that they had history, that she's met this Alien before, and that it's very, very bad - is clearly laid out in the first act of the film.

Same with Aliens, although that goes even further by literally summarising the plot of the preceding film.

I think if you had to watch Alien 3 it would actually be preferable to watch it first before the other films.  Aliens creates a lot of "baggage" that builds you up for something that Alien 3 never delivers.  If you watch Alien 3 first, you don't have all those expectations with you and hence you can enjoy Alien 3 completely on its own merits.  On a side note, considering that Aliens is your first Alien experience, it probably explains a lot why you don't appear to have a strong connection to Hicks and Newt as some others might.  Understandable.  Anyway, I expect that the experience of seeing Alien 3 was a lot more enjoyable for you than for a lot of the other fans who were familiar with the first 2 films prior to seeing Alien 3.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 27, 2015, 03:58:07 PM

I know what you're saying but the fact remains, Aliens and Alien 3 both reference (and acknowledges) the film/s before them. You might not have needed to watch the previous film/s to enjoy or understand Aliens and Alien 3 but they are still connected to each other.

I'm basically talking about a kind of retcon/remake here, ignoring Prometheus to such an extent that it cannot really be considered part of the new series anymore.

Corporal Hicks

David's inclusion would mean you can't. His comes with a lot of baggage.

Randomizer

Making it a trilogy seems fine by me, although I was expecting a standalone movie, or at most dependent on Prometheus only. But if it ends with a cliffhanger, I swear ...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 27, 2015, 04:09:41 PMOn a side note, considering that Aliens is your first Alien experience, it probably explains a lot why you don't appear to have a strong connection to Hicks and Newt as some others might.

Aliens was actually the last Alien film I saw. It's also my favourite. And I loved those characters. Hicks was freaking awesome. I just don't wanna see a daft retcon because someone's still not over the fact they're dead twenty-five years later.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2015, 04:11:29 PMI know what you're saying but the fact remains, Aliens and Alien 3 both reference (and acknowledges) the film/s before them. You might not have needed to watch the previous film/s to enjoy or understand Aliens and Alien 3 but they are still connected to each other.

I never said they weren't connected. I just said you don't need to have seen the preceding movie to understand and enjoy two or three. The relevant plot points are all laid out. It's not like The Lord of the Rings where you wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed